Main Menu

69 383 Formula S 4 speed

Started by Shane Kelley, September 20, 2017, 01:26:58 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Shane Kelley

Preliminary blasting and some etch prime backed up with a light coat of sealer to prevent flash rust.

Shane Kelley

Heater box restoration. Took a couple boxes to come up with enough parts to build a good one.

Husk Challenger

Like new!

Sorry, maybe it may look like a silly question but
How do you restore the heather box? The finish is so nice!
Challenger 73' 383ci 4spd ---> SOLD
Challenger 71' 318 904 RT clone ---> Stroker 318/392 Tf 727!

Shane Kelley

Quote from: Husk Challenger on September 28, 2017, 09:29:26 AM
Like new!

Sorry, maybe it may look like a silly question but
How do you restore the heather box? The finish is so nice!
First I clean it with a scuff pad and comet in warm water. Then I wet sand it with 1000 grit sandpaper. Get it nice and dry.  Then shoot 2 coats of mat clear on the whole thing.
Once you do that you will see little fibers standing up in the finish. Let that dry and wet sand again until smooth making sure not to sand through anywhere with 1500 grit.
Now your ready to shoot everything with 1 even coat of mat clear. Done! When I say mat clear I'm talking about clear with a hardener shot through a paint gun. It might be possible to do with rattle can but I'm not sure.

Rev-It-Up

You do amazing work Shane! I love looking at your resto pictures.  You restore things to a level of detail that I truly admire and appreciate.  All these little details add up!  Fantastic job!  :clapping:
Rev-It-Up

Husk Challenger

Thanks for the answer!

Very interesting and instructive.  :thankyou:

Challenger 73' 383ci 4spd ---> SOLD
Challenger 71' 318 904 RT clone ---> Stroker 318/392 Tf 727!

Chryco Psycho

autoxcuda

Quote from: YellowThumper on September 21, 2017, 08:01:37 AM
Definitely a nice teaser.
Scoop does distract from car.   :notsure:
Snapped this pic and posted fb just yesterday.

Was that down in Orange County somewhere?
Spring Fling April 2024 Woodley Park, Van Nuys CA, 600+ Mopars, 175+ all Mopar swap, Malibu Cruise, Mopar Cruise-In: www.cpwclub.com Date comming...

Cudakiller70

Amazing work Shane. Thanks for taking your time to shoot/post the pics and the info you share is appreciated!

YellowThumper

It is in Corona at an unmarked warehouse building.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

Shane Kelley

Moving along to the cowl panel. Besides the 2 kinks we also have perforation along the lower window channel. We have a parts car and it actually had a perfect one to donate. Also a couple little patches for the rf apron right where the fender mounts. Filler work on engine compartment.

Shane Kelley

The engine build.  383 with a lot of go fast goodies bored and stroked to a 496. Should be a real hand full in front of a 4 speed manual in a little A Body.  :burnout:

Cuda Cody

Love this thread!   :inlove:  Nice work man.   :clapping:

YellowThumper

Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

RzeroB

Yeah, Shane does some amazingly beautiful work ...

He's lucky he lives an hour away from me ... if he was any closer I'd be hanging out at his shop waaaaay to much trying to be his understudy and wearing out my welcome in the process!!
Cheers!
Tom

Tis' better to have owned classic Mopars and lost than to have never owned at all (apologies to Alfred Lord Tennyson)