Main Menu

70 base Challenger, 383 4-speed, F8, restoration

Started by Ifixmycarmyself, March 09, 2018, 11:34:06 AM

Previous topic Next topic

JH27N0B

I like your philosophy of repairing damaged sheet metal rather than just replacing everything with Asian reproduction parts.  :bigthumb:
When I restored my T/A, I found good original fenders, doors, tail panel, even a trunk floor for the project to replace the rusty originals.  I bought repro quarters when they first came out and my desire was for the shop to use the lower half of them to restore my originals. They instead replaced my quarters with the new ones, and even though they look good, I will always regret that the quarters are aftermarket.  I should have gone the extra mile to find some good used originals or even NOS.  :(

RUNCHARGER

Ha, ha: Yes the cars do have soul. My 66 Hemi Coronet had the tailpipes replaced and they were cut at an angle parallel with the ground rather than at an angle to the ground (hey so I'm a freak and notice these things). It really bugged me until one day I was at a car show with it and this guy checked out the tailpipes and told me he was a previous owner from 1973 until 6 months before I bought it. He recognized those darn tailpipes as well and I was kind of okay with them after that. The history of these cars is always interesting.
Sheldon

Ifixmycarmyself

Fender restoration done! They were disassembled, paint removed, patched up and sealed with leading, straighten out with hammer and dolly, rust converter and anti-rust paint on inside and self etching primer on outside. link to the video on fender restoration part 3: https://youtu.be/mZE2zQKgjUc

superdave

:clapping: Wow, that's very inspiring. I was going to save one  of my fenders now I'm thinking maybe both. 8)

jimynick

Nice work, but PLEASE wear a respirator when you're power grinding solder! I will use a vixen file w/o one, but the airborne particles are the most dangerous ones and we'd like you to live long enough to actually drive this car that's receiving a restoration.  :yes:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

Ifixmycarmyself

Starting with the doors. The doors has some rust to take care of, some minor dents but also a dent that goes along half of the door length. But they are anyhow too god to be trhown away, in my opinion.  Will have to remove the inner "side impact" reinforcement do beat out that dent. Some pics.

RUNCHARGER

Sheldon

GY3R/T

WOW !! :unbelievable: WOW!!  Great thread .  Enjoyed watching your work !!  You definitely have talent ! :worship: ...and patience !

ToxicWolf

Really beautiful work.   :wave:  Thank you for sharing with us and welcome to the site.  I've never been associated with a better group of people than the ones you will find here.   :veryexcited:

Ifixmycarmyself

Ifixmycarmyself

I recently started working on the car again. Was going bananas over the small garage so I had to build a new garage, myself. You could call it Ibuiltmygaragemyself, but thats a story for a different forum. The garage is not totally finished but I was eager to start working on the car again. will post som update pictures. I also had to get myself diabetes and was a little struck by that but now I'm back.
Bodywork is done. it has two new rear quarter panels, rear panel, trunk extensions, dutchman panel and new hood. Restored the doors, inner wheelhouse and both fenders. Now I'm testfitting everything to se if it lines up well and it seems ok, straight as an arrow, bare metal and no "bondo".

I will leave gaps rather wide, or at least no narrowing by bondofilling and razorblades cut out action going on here as seen on TV. This is going to be a driver and no showcar.

superdave

:banana:  :popcorn: It's great to see you back at it. I love watching your work. New members, check out this thread and his youtube videos, a true artist!! 8)

Challenger in NC

Car looks great. There's nothing more frustrating than being hindered by an undersized space while restoring a car. Many of us have been in that situation and I really hate spending large amounts of time moving stuff around or looking for tools/parts rather than working on the car. You must be much happier with the larger garage.

anlauto

This thread is truly an inspiration to anybody who likes to fix things themselves, it looks like there's nothing that will scare you off, and best of all...another one gets saved :worship: :twothumbsup:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration