Main Menu

70 Challenger (someday)

Started by Kewl_Wheels, January 28, 2018, 10:52:31 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Timbbuc2

Quote from: Kewl_Wheels on September 05, 2018, 02:56:29 PM
Anybody think year one could tell me the biggest tires that would fit on their rims in a stock condition. Seeing as, you know, they sell them and all?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

This might help
https://forum.e-bodies.org/wheels-tires-brakes-suspension-and-steering/12/e-body-tire-sizes-what-fits-whats-too-big-what-looks-good/4016/;topicseen
Get in, I'll drive

Kewl_Wheels

That did help thanks! From what I see going through the posts was that 245/45/17 front  and 275/40/17 rear should fit.

Timbbuc2

Quote from: Kewl_Wheels on September 05, 2018, 05:48:22 PM
That did help thanks! From what I see going through the posts was that 245/45/17 front  and 275/40/17 rear should fit.

That is the sizes I am looking at
Get in, I'll drive

Kewl_Wheels

Quote from: Timbbuc2 on September 07, 2018, 11:58:05 AM
Quote from: Kewl_Wheels on September 05, 2018, 05:48:22 PM

That is the sizes I am looking at
What wheels?

Kewl_Wheels

Basically year one's response to what tires fit your rims without interference was... all cars are different you have to measure.  Now I'm sure I understand vehicles can be modified/ worn out etc... however I may just be crazy thinking if they make/sell these rims they should know what fits the vehicles factory specifications. Vs just making them and saying good luck see what fits?

Kewl_Wheels

Hey guys I'm working on getting the exhaust in place and I'm not sure about this rear stone guard that goes under the bumper. It came with the car and I don't know if its correct for it or not?
There's a bracket right in the center that looks like it should bolt to the body however there are no holes in the body to connect it to? Maybe it's from a different year?

Morty426

Looks like what you have is a 71-72 valence.

70 valence is one year only

Kewl_Wheels

Thanks Morty,
I am just trying to use it to position where the exhaust needs to be. I'm planning on a new one as this one is pretty beat up. Do you know if there would be any difference in the cutout locations for the exhaust tips?
I could just replace it sooner rather than later to get it right.

Thanks again!

Morty426

Quote from: Kewl_Wheels on September 30, 2018, 07:12:04 PM
Thanks Morty,
I am just trying to use it to position where the exhaust needs to be. I'm planning on a new one as this one is pretty beat up. Do you know if there would be any difference in the cutout locations for the exhaust tips?
I could just replace it sooner rather than later to get it right.

Thanks again!

No it's perfect for that purpose. 

RJChallenger

Sorry to cut in guys. Morty, I know the center mount is different from 70 and later. What about how it mounts to the lower quarters are there differences in stud location , actual shape in the mating surfaces. I have a 74 panel that I would have to beat with a hammer to make even close to fitting my 70 challenger. Thanks

Kewl_Wheels

Hey Rj,
All good the more info and things to look for the better.
I have it mounted just with 2 bolts and it looks pretty good to the quarters. I'll definitely take another look.
Thanks.

Morty426

Quote from: RJChallenger on October 01, 2018, 08:01:33 AM
Sorry to cut in guys. Morty, I know the center mount is different from 70 and later. What about how it mounts to the lower quarters are there differences in stud location , actual shape in the mating surfaces. I have a 74 panel that I would have to beat with a hammer to make even close to fitting my 70 challenger. Thanks

No the mounting at the quarter should all be the same

Kewl_Wheels

So now I can start, stop, put in gear, (wheels turn for the first time ever since I've owned this), and the power steering works. WooHoo!! Still a lot to do like throttle and kick down linkages needed. I have to really start thinking about front seats now that it moves.
Has anyone tried new reproduction seat frames and tracks? Just about everything I seem to come across pretty much looks like trash for around $400 to $500 and will obviously need completely restored even the ones advertised as "ok for a driver" are not really usable. I'd rather use original equipment however for the price and work that has to go into a "nice" set of junk it I'm thinking new may be the way to go as it will all need to be restored/replaced anyway. Either way I'll need it all, cushions, covers, backs, tracks, etc.
Just wondering if anyone has gone that route and how it went?