Main Menu

71 Barracuda EV2 H5XV

Started by Skdmark, June 26, 2020, 04:53:54 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Skdmark

Here's a couple with the lens and light tubes mounted up.

About the light tubes...

The ones I got with the used cluster were in rough shape. Discolored, tabs broken etc.
So I picked up a set of the repros. What should be plug and play was not.
:verymad:

As has been noted before, the OEM tubes are unique based on the keys to orient the lenses. The repro "set" are 3pcs of the LEFT tube. So the OEM brake tube was put back into service as it was in better shape than the other two I had. I modified one repro to accept the RIGHT lens. The repro tubes I received were somewhat translucent. Not good when you are trying to contain light. So I broke out the small modeling brushes and some enamel paint. I then painted the insides of the two repro tubes white so light would no longer glow out of the tubes.

I gently cleaned the original lenses and placed them in their respective tubes. Instead of melting/bonding them in place, I picked up adhesive backed foam washers used on RC car bodies from Amazon. The OD of the washers matches the recess on the back of the cluster overlay frame. I just needed to use my leather punch set to open up the ID of the washers. With the adhesive side facing the lens, I affixed the washers and checked to make sure the lenses were secure.
:bigthumb:

After carefully wiping down the lens, I installed it onto the cluster housing.
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.
-Harlan Ellison

(O OI====II====IO O)    (O O{]{]{] ][ [}[}[}O O)
:stayinlane:

anlauto

From the factory the three lenses actually attach to the black plastic shroud, not the white tubes, but I see no reason why your method won't work :bigthumb:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Skdmark

I found it strange they were mounted to the plastic frame and not the tubes. The tubes are recessed and have the keys to orient the lenses. I was worried if I put them back on the frame and not in the tubes I would wind up having  the lettering on the lenses cockeyed.
:looney:

If the foam seals I made turn out not to work they will peel off fairly easy.
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.
-Harlan Ellison

usraptor

Very nice job on restoring you Rallye dash.   :yes: :twothumbsup:

anlauto

Quote from: Skdmark on May 11, 2021, 02:13:43 PM
I found it strange they were mounted to the plastic frame and not the tubes. The tubes are recessed and have the keys to orient the lenses. I was worried if I put them back on the frame and not in the tubes I would wind up having  the lettering on the lenses cockeyed.
:looney:

If the foam seals I made turn out not to work they will peel off fairly easy.

I would just hope the tubes line up perfectly with the holes in the dash... :thinking:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Skdmark

I dry fitted the gauge cluster to the plastic frame and it all lines up.
:bigthumb:
-Harlan Ellison

ebodyproducts

Looks very nice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
E-Body Products
www.ebodyproducts.com
606-481-9014

Skdmark

While I await my wiring harness and some other odds and ends to do the Rallye gauge install...
Starting on Memorial Day weekend I began installing an Edelbrock LD4B intake and a Holley Sniper setup on the 318.

I've been planning on this for awhile and had 90% of what I needed on hand.
Over the 3 day weekend I was able to get everything pretty much removed, drained and disassembled. It has gone fairly smoothly, except for the old cork valve cover gasket on the driver's side disintegrating on the head. I spent hours carefully cleaning that mess up. Before the weekend was up I (with some help) got the new intake, the Hyperspark distributor and the Holley OEM muscle electric fuel pump bolted up. I also started prepping the Holley wiring harnesses for the connections that I'm going to use.

At this point I'm most of the way there. The last mechanical hurdle is the linkage for the kickdown. Which I have a plan for, just need to do a little fab work. The balance of work will be the electrical connections, O2 sensor install and soft fuel line connections.

Any questions let me know.
-Harlan Ellison

Skdmark

A few more pics with the helpers.

Had my youngest pulling out the heater and radiator hoses.

My oldest removed the fuel sending unit and installed the new Holley electric pump with the hydramat.
Then, she started working on some of the fuel pump wiring.
-Harlan Ellison

Fish Tale

That's very cool that the kids are helping out.  Awesome!

jbaha

Hey, nice work!
:bradsthumb:
How did you seal the pump? Do you have any leaks?

Skdmark

Quote from: jbaha on June 09, 2021, 11:37:42 PM
Hey, nice work!
:bradsthumb:
How did you seal the pump? Do you have any leaks?

The Holley OE electric fuel pump installs and seals like the the factory sending units. They have a large flat rubber washer that goes between the tank and the fuel pump. Secured with a locking ring.

https://www.holley.com/products/fuel_systems/fuel_pumps_regulators_and_filters/fuel_pumps/muscle_car_efi_modules/parts/12-318
-Harlan Ellison

Skdmark

Was able to get the throttle and kickdown linkage sorted out. This gets into one of those being creative areas as things are moved to new positions.
Going from a 2bbl carb to 4bbl intake with a Sniper moved connection points higher, further forward and towards the driver's side inner fender.

I picked up a 71-73 340 4bbl throttle return spring bracket and the 72-74 340/360 4bbl throttle cable bracket from Roseville/Mega Parts. I also picked up new throttle and kickdown springs from Roseville too. From Holley I installed one of their 20-7 Chrysler throttle linkage brackets on the Sniper. From the original 318 2bbl I used the one piece kickdown lever, the linkage assembly and the throttle linkage stud.  I did need to put a Z bend into the slotted bracket to get the new offset aligned. The kickdown lever was about 2 inches short so I picked up a Holley 20-41 Ford  kickdown lever extension to fill the gap. All I need to do was drill one Let F sized hole a little further back to make it work. The kickdown extension has two ears that I'll peen over to lightly clamp onto the kickdown lever.

Next up will be to remove the linkage and brackets and hit them with some paint.
-Harlan Ellison

71383bee

Awesome work! 

I didn't realize you could pull the sending unit without dropping the tank.  Or did you drop that as well.

73 Challenger Rallye - 340 4 speed - K6 w/ White Top
70 Challenger Convertible - 318 Auto - K5 w/ White Top

Skdmark

Quote from: 71383bee on June 10, 2021, 07:27:52 PM
Awesome work! 

I didn't realize you could pull the sending unit without dropping the tank.  Or did you drop that as well.

The car has side pipes so there are no exhaust pipes or heat shield in the way, so it's real easy to get to the sending unit without dropping the tank.
Just need to make sure you are low on gas before you remove the sending unit.
-Harlan Ellison