Main Menu

71 barracuda re born

Started by moparx5, September 13, 2020, 07:43:28 PM

Previous topic Next topic

moparx5

rear window filler , speaker shelf were next to keep her tied together then onto the frame rails , built a few circle track cars back in the day so this making a frame jig and having location points was the plan all along. make a solid plan and attack it is about how i go at things
i will say i was very pleased with all the AMD parts, of course you need a hammer and some clamps  but i rember in 87 getting rid of a 71 340 4 spd cuda  because you just couldnt get panels, saw on another post on here AMD was backing down on the mopar stuff ,,, thats a dam shame if it's true!!!! this will be my last big one so im happy i got what i needed 4 years ago , incase anyone missed it thats when this project started

moparx5

i shoulda counted coffee cups instead of welds

moparx5

i  will stand corrected this is the last big one i will build i wont get paid for, someone is always nocking on my door with a crazy project

moparx5

picked up this parts car on new years eve that year , payed for that night and went got it next day, was like 3 degrees out , weather sucked but good score , all the seats dash core and all the glass was mint AC tint. car sat from the 80s  was completely rotted way worse than the one i was building so grabbed a bunch of stuff off it and  traded it for a solid back half e body for my first big cuda project  delay !!!!!!
and another box  from AMD that was the 71 fenders and new roof skin

moparx5

i dont think i was the first to flip that cuda lol srry about the pic nomatter what i did it kept flipping over

moparx5

its a long story but i kid i hung out with back in the day had a car stored away he bought brand new and took it drag racing , fast forward like 25 years i heard around town the car might be for sale and long behold in my possession is a 1 owner 16 k orig mile numbers match rt/se 440 -6 4 spd  and yes that is orig colors of the car . lets just say the cuda went to the back burner for a little while  after i forced myself to get the quarters welded on and hung all the panels to make sure everything was put back together correct ,and it actually all lined up prtty good !!!!!

Cuda70-74

Nice and you moving pretty fast on it
1969 mustang
1974 cuda turnt into a 71 cuda
1968 charger

RUNCHARGER

Nice! Good idea on the rockers, I think it's a better way to stiffen it up without being obvious. I used a caliper last weekend when I laid out the holes in the trunkfloor for my son's Charger. Not too freaky and it was quick.
Sheldon

moparx5

legendary came through today ,,, ordered  deluxe seat covers and new foam back in May ( dam Covid) but it's all here now i can add to the stock pile of parts. got a few extra boxes of stuff,, i guess the guy in Montana will be waiting a little longer for his conv GTO parts . shipped them right back out ,,, wouldn't want that shoe on the other foot,

nsmall

Thanks for sharing. I looked for the videos on YouTube and couldn't find anything.   So to get the story straight you also have that Challenger project?  Very cool projects.

moparx5

video should be under thecrazycuda   it's my red 67 , built that car back in 2005  ,  started the 71 in 2013  and  70 challenger in  mid of 14  been a long slow road for both cars , basically got all the metal work on 71 done before i picked up the challenger  and then because of what that car is i decided to focus on that one, the paint work took a little longer to get done then i had hoped but when i'm not doing the work it's out of my control, ontop of the restoration of my cars i  have a 50 hr a week job and own a fab shop i run at night and weekends so the projects have to sit some times, drove the challenger home 2 weeks ago , first time it has seen a street in about 40 years, trying to get an inspection sticker on it this week, cold weather makes hp and the fall is hot rod season for me.

nsmall

Man, you sound like a really hard worker so I hope you get to take some breaks and enjoy your driving season coming up.

moparx5

so  i guess these next few post get the car up to present day status , got the  car off jig table and put it on some roller stands to make more moveable in my shop, did a dry fit with motor and trans to make sure 4 spd shifter hole was in the right spot, brought it up to my friends shop in same condo  building to use his spot welder to get the roof on. so much easier than plug welding and having to clean up the welds in window channels and the drip rails. literally took a half hour. Next was set the car down on blocks and stuff the 295/50/15 under it and measure for the axel. think i took 1 1/2 off each end of stock e body length. Had the local rod shop  shorten the strange dana 60  373 gears willward discs , they are tight in there but should be ok.
pretty pissed off my phone crashed and i lost alot of pics from last year , basically had the car on rotisserie i made to clean up all the welding ,do the seam sealing and misc. e break brackets, bought a set of torque boxes that fit like crap !!!!  I threw away the fronts and made my own and reworked the crap out of the backs, end result is they look good.
  sanded pretty much all the AMD E coat off entire bottom of car and engine bay and re sprayed it with PPG dp90lf  that shit is bullet proof and can be top coated within 72 hours , so i shot that on a Saturday and Sunday i shot the hole bottom of car with SEM rock-it bed liner . Bottom of that car is mint ,i will post some pics of car on my lift , I plan on driving the hell out of this car rain or shine and building it to take it