Main Menu

71' Gran Coup Gen III

Started by CudaA39, November 27, 2019, 02:13:53 PM

Previous topic Next topic

CudaA39

After getting incorrect information directly from Mopar Part Assistance, I figured I'd share that out of the 220, 180, and 160 MDS alternators the 160 is the only small case of the three. Part #04801866AC fit in my ebody without needing to modify anything. This may already be common knowledge but I figured it may be worth repeating.

I'll be hooking this to a pre-70 P3690732 regulator to regulate the 13.5v output.
Check out my 71 Gen3 build:

https://youtu.be/XSDAWczXoZw

2015 Tri-State Stock/Superstock Champion
2017 Monster Mopar Weekend Sunday Pro Winner
2018 Monster Mopar Weekend Friday No Box Winner and 11.50 R/U

JpRngr

Is that not internally regulated or computer controlled?

CudaA39

Quote from: JpRngr on June 15, 2020, 04:39:56 PM
Is that not internally regulated or computer controlled?

OE the computer would control it via pulse width modulation I believe.  However that's where the pre-70 voltage regulator will come in to regulate the output to 13.4v.

CudaA39

Been working mostly on the interior lately so that I can put orders in for things not related to any of the G3 stuff.  Thankfully I'm at at a pretty good point know where I'm confident that the things I still need to get aren't "scarce".

All of the door panels were filthy and faded from the years spend on the basement shelves.  luckily the Gran Coupe woodgrain inlays were in great shape and came out without issue.  I stripped all the interior door panels down and washed with dawn and hot water.  I wiped everything down with alcohol and hit em with VHT trim paint in semi flat black.  I'm sure there is an official flat % to use but they turned out way nicer than I had anticipated.  Each panel got the same number of coats for consistency.  I had just finished wrapping them in paper when I realized I didn't snap a final photo.

I also tore down the center console and the metal inlay.  The sticker was scratched pretty good, but it peeled off without issue and cleaned up nice.  I was able to repair two drill holes in the center console, likely from an a-track or vintage speaker, with some plastic weld and textured it with an engraving tool.  Again I VHTed it and redid the wood sticker (PITA).  I think it turned out really well.

Even though I'm up in the air with the transmission, I do plan on using the stock Slap Stick.  I ground down all the rivets and took all the layers apart to clean up.  I polished everything to a mirror finish (no pics, time flies when you're having fun) and reassembled using an air impact riveter.  It shifts like butter now but is still super tight.  I cleaned up the handle, as well as the black slider and the plastic screen.  Replaced the chrome trim with a new piece and secured everything back together.  Should finish the console off real nice.

I put in a fairly big order to Year One and Classic Industries for a lot of little things...sun visors, tips, door handles, gaskets, filler gromet, etc.  Amazing how much you forget you'll need until you start getting into the details.  Luckily I was able to grab a front windshield from AMD at Carlisle so I saved on shipping.

Chryco Psycho

We trimmed a small amount from te frame rail lip to clear a different alternator , cool way to create clearance !
I would look at a 518 trans  :bigthumb:

CudaA39

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on July 28, 2020, 09:37:01 PM
We trimmed a small amount from te frame rail lip to clear a different alternator , cool way to create clearance !
I would look at a 518 trans  :bigthumb:

Yeah, I saw that as an option.  It would have been a minimal trim, but I wanted to avoid it at all costs.

I've really been on the fence about what to do with the trans.  Everything about an electronic trans is appealing for how I plan to use the car.  I'd love to stray away from the 727 simply for the fact that I don't want to buy big $ parts to avoid sprag issues.

I think I'm going to wait until the absolutel 11th hour and decide based on bell housing availability.  If I can get setup for a 4lX0e...it may receive it's second GM part!

CudaA39

Been awhile since I posted but I've been trying to accomplish at least one thing each week, whether it be rebuilding a subassembly, buying a replacement part, or researching next steps.

Thanks in part to new friends I've made at the track this year, and their willingness to share experiences, I pulled the trigger on a 46RH out of a 1994 Ram 2500 2wd with a 5.9.  a buddy and I went to a local you-pull-it yard and got after it.  Surprisingly, it was a blast and came out fairly easy.  I haven't gone through it yet, but my plans will be to utilize some lightened parts and put good money into it right off the bat to make it stout.  I rebuilt several 727s over the last decade so I'm looking forward to digging into this one.  The price for the lockup converter will be hard to swallow, but I hope it's no regrets the first time it locks up and I can cruise 4.56s down the highway.

My big focus right now is to address the overhead console, headliner board, and OE wiring.  I found all the parts for the overhead console and cleaned them up best I could. Still need to get material to recover it, but I remade all the harnesses from the dash to the console (door in switches, dome light, low fuel, etc) and got replacement LED lights as to avoid any heat issues.  The only thing I appear to be missing from the entire assembly is the silver switch cover for the light itself, I have a new lense and the original bezel but no cover.  I'm trying to hustle on this part because I'm hoping to get to a decision point regarding my headliner in the event it's not salvageable.  It's missing a chunk here or there, lost its form, so I'm gonna give it hell and see what happens.  I'm going Dayclona makes another batch soon and makes that decision easy for me.

Instead of buying new harnesses, I put the money towards some nice wiring tools and material to do it myself.  I'm confident I can do all the sub harnesses and maybe only have to buy the main dash harness.  I didn't want to reuse any of the original wires, and this will allow me to better understand the ins and outs of how everything works.

RUNCHARGER

You think exactly the way I do things. I've always invested in the tools needed and did it myself rather than just buy things or pay someone to do it for me.
Sheldon

CudaA39

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on November 11, 2020, 11:34:41 AM
You think exactly the way I do things. I've always invested in the tools needed and did it myself rather than just buy things or pay someone to do it for me.

Heck yeah, its a great way to think too!  After I used my new Klein strippers and the new changeable jaw crimpers on the first wire I knew I should have bought them years ago.  Paid for themselves already.

CudaA39

Finished up the tailight wiring.  Added a 12ga wire in the empty bulkhead slot to be used for an eventual electric fuel pp.  This hides the wire in an existing loom.

Started dissecting the dash and working on ordering a new pad (it's got a major crack right down the middle).  So far I've disassembled, cleaned, dyed, and reassembled the AC vents.  I put an order into classic industries for some odds and ends.  Next on my list is to clean up all the switches, convert the ammeter over to a volt gauge, and add an inconspicuous trans temp gauge to the unused gauge pod on the right.  Curious, anyone know what optional gauge would have been used here instead of a blank plug?  They offer a bolt in tach, but given the size I can't see it being anything more than a neat conversation piece.

JS29

@CudaA39  An optional clock was placed in that spot, I put a tach in mine and it is not vary handy.  :alan2cents:

CudaA39

Quote from: JS29 on December 05, 2020, 08:12:28 AM
@CudaA39  An optional clock was placed in that spot, I put a tach in mine and it is not vary handy.  :alan2cents:

Thank you for that feedback...glad to see my suspicions were correct.  It should hopefully work perfectly to his a trans temp gauge for when this car gets hotlapped.

I actually was under the impression this car had a Rallye gauge setup, but because the entire dash was in storage I wasn't able to actually check until recently.  Imagine my surprise...

JS29

My 70 Gran Coupe didn't come with a rallye gauge cluster ether, I am going to put one in. Dakota digital has some nice setups and Tony's moparts can set you up with the rest of what you need to finish the conversion.    :alan2cents:

CudaA39

Finished up the cleanup of the corner switch section to just what I'd consider "driver standard". Repainted the knobs, new overlay, and cleaned the wiper switch that had a fair amount of corrosion.  Good thing is the car only had 16k so most of the parts have seen little use.  Fixed a housing crack, repainted, and packed away.

My next plan is to redo the HVAC controls, and then update the gauge cluster with minor touch ups and volt meter + oil pressure retrofit. 

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration