Main Menu

A.G.A.R. 1970 Barracuda Convertible.....IMPORTANT UPDATE !!

Started by anlauto, May 18, 2017, 03:04:41 PM

Previous topic Next topic

benlavigne

Hang in there @anlauto ! I've seen the car in Carlisle and it looked splendid, and the owner seemed thrilled with it.
Then, as usual, some people probably started nit-picking it and the small flaws overshadowed the total picture...
I am sure you would like to do right, but it looks like other people have come between him and you to prevent this from happening.
Of course, there will be imperfections, as you get what you pay for... Once the owner compares the cost of both avenues, it will be apparent that he probably did get his money's worth (especially in Cdn $...).

Think of all of the previous customers who were happy with your work instead of letting this one get to you.
Hope to see you at Moparfest!

Ben

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

750-h2

As far as some minor paint shrinkage after a new paint job, that is 100% normal. Its usually only obvious on wet sanded and buffed paint jobs. Restoration shops know this will happen so they apply a few extra coats of clear so the car can be rebuffed to make it perfect again. :alan2cents: 

JS29

This is why I LOVE THIS BUSINESS! I find flaws in my own work, I find flaws in brand new cars. I have had people want me to judge other shops work, when they should be complaining to them not me. I have had people want something fixed, made serviceable, limited funds, and were happy with the job, THEN others would criticize the job because it wasn't a SHOW type of job. I have fixed new cars and the customer would come back complaining about something that was no ware near the repair area.  :headbang: No one is god, we are human. everyone is so fast to judge, and some things don't show up right away.   :alan2cents:   

750-h2

I just looked at this car in the earlier posts. I see that the whole car was pretty well rotted and fitted with a complete set of AMD exterior panels. From experience I know that high end restoration shops in Ontario will charge in the area of $50,000 to $70,000cdn just to make an AMD body laser straight with perfect gaps. This $ amount is for dialing in and painting the exterior of the car only and does not include any metal work [except for perfecting the body gaps]! I believe Al's paint jobs cost significantly less $$.

I have been reading Al's posts for years and he never claims to be a high end resto shop. My understanding from Al's posts as that he puts out really nice detailed drivers [not show cars] at a reasonable price. 

Cuda_mark

The shop I'm using is right down the street from where I work so I've been able to see the progress at every step. I think that's important when you are having a car done. The guy doing my car has turned other cars away because they wanted driver quality...he didn't want to put his name on something like that. It's not worth it to him.

If you learn anything from this Alan it should be that there are enough of these cars out there where you don't have to risk it by taking on jobs that have a small budget but large expectations. People don't understand that the way these cars look amazing is all of the hard work and labor hours spent before the first spray of primer is even done.

If it was a driver quality paint job and that was the agreement, the people nit picking it should try nit picking it while the car is driving past them at 60MPH. I bet it looks amazing at that speed.

AH1S

Alan did my car and I got to look at the red sunroof Challenger. I also have personally checked out the purple cuda. Comparing the 3 Erik had every right to be unhappy. You have to understand that you are  trusting Alan to lookout for your interest. In my opinion Alan should not have accepted the car from the paint shop.

RUNCHARGER

If that is true then Alan should be given the opportunity to take it back to the body shop to make it right. Stuff happens no matter how careful you are but you have to be given the opportunity to make it right.
Having a fourth party (who has repeatedly shown he dislikes Alan) step in to "fix" the problem just makes it all murkier.
Sheldon

Shane Kelley

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on August 05, 2019, 08:03:00 AM
If that is true then Alan should be given the opportunity to take it back to the body shop to make it right. Stuff happens no matter how careful you are but you have to be given the opportunity to make it right.
Having a fourth party (who has repeatedly shown he dislikes Alan) step in to "fix" the problem just makes it all murkier.

I agree 100% with every part of that statement. The easiest thing in the world is to pick somebody else's work. I think it's total bullshit Alan is not allowed to try and correct the owners complaints. As far as things acting up on after a fresh build. "HELLO"  I would be amazed if things didn't screw up because anyone who has ever built a car knows it's going happen. It takes time to fully sort a full build out. 

Timbbuc2

I was reluctant at first to chime in, I have never met you @anlauto but from our conversation here I can tell you that you are the closest to a expert that I know. With that said if you were doing a restoration for me I would have flown up to see it as soon as it came out of paint. Just out of excitement.
I am sorry you are going through this, it will work out . Remember you have not been in business this long putting out bad work.
Tim
Get in, I'll drive

B5fourspeed

What is the difference between Driver quality paint and Show quality paint?Imo a Show quality paint job is between 10k and as high as 20k more then Driver quality.I could be wrong.

kdcarman

Quote from: AH1S on August 05, 2019, 07:42:24 AM
Alan did my car and I got to look at the red sunroof Challenger. I also have personally checked out the purple cuda. Comparing the 3 Erik had every right to be unhappy. You have to understand that you are  trusting Alan to lookout for your interest. In my opinion Alan should not have accepted the car from the paint shop.

I don't think one can make this assumption.  I had Alan restore my car.  Understanding quality of the paint and body work is subjective and is also impacted by budget - you would also need to factor in budget.  For example, I don't think you can look at my car and expect all of Alan's car to have the same quality if there was a different budget.  We spent a fair amount of time talking about budget as the work was being done.  I asked that corners not be cut when doing my car.  The result - at a judged car show yesterday each of the judges said I had the nicest black paint job at the event.  And yes I did take home Best in Show.  I suppose I could complain about the cost but i am thrilled with the finished product.

Alan has stood up and offered to address the issues.  But it sounds like there is someone fanning the flames here.

HEMICUDA

If you were charged north of 100K, what would you expect in a restoration?

dave73

I've never met you but I admire your work and value your input to this forum. It doesn't sit right with me that he was good with the car when delivered, drove it/enjoyed it and now it's unacceptable? And then he doesn't let you remedy the situation and sends it to another shop?

Hang in there, if I had the money I'd still be contacting you about building me a car...

anlauto

Quote from: kdcarman on August 05, 2019, 10:00:37 AM

I don't think one can make this assumption.  I had Alan restore my car.  Understanding quality of the paint and body work is subjective and is also impacted by budget - you would also need to factor in budget.  For example, I don't think you can look at my car and expect all of Alan's car to have the same quality if there was a different budget.  We spent a fair amount of time talking about budget as the work was being done.  I asked that corners not be cut when doing my car.  The result - at a judged car show yesterday each of the judges said I had the nicest black paint job at the event.  And yes I did take home Best in Show.  I suppose I could complain about the cost but i am thrilled with the finished product.

Alan has stood up and offered to address the issues.  But it sounds like there is someone fanning the flames here.

Thanks Ken, your car is a BEAUTY ! :drooling:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration