Main Menu

Abandoned Challenger rescue after 35 years

Started by Challenger in NC, December 23, 2020, 12:27:51 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Challenger in NC

Has anyone seen this series on You Tube?

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5EUCGKC_YdS1aS7sqbnPr7-1ckLH2jlS

It's fairly well done and documents the partial restoration of a 1973(?) Challenger that had been sitting since '85. Each video is 20-40 min long and steps through the various stages of the car's revival. I found the videos just last night and before I knew it, had plowed through most of the episodes. I know some people will nitpick the hell out of the car but the owner makes it clear that the goal of the build was to make the car a fun driver. I think my biggest issue was the amount of detail that was put into some areas, but other areas (mainly the dented body panels), were left alone. All in all, I found it enjoyable.

tparker

Nope, but it looks interesting. I let mine sit from '91until a few years ago. I had little money so I would do a little bit of work here and there. I'm finally at a point where it is almost ready to drive. Engine should be ready from the shop any day now. That plus a few odds and ends and I'll be able to drive it :). Hopefully this documentary will remind me of the work i did. LOL.

As far as nitpickers, I hate them. The cars are meant to be driven and has things wear out, you fix them the best you can. I am not a numbers guy and I don't fret that my alternator of battery doesn't have the right date code. If it isn't original.... it is not original. Even if it seems original, it isn't. LOL. So, so long as it doesn't have a chevy 350 in it, have fun and get 'er running. LOL.

And for cringe worthy rebuilds, my western sport special now has a stroked 340 with 727 and 8 3/4 with 3.23 gears (until I decide to up that number a bit) with front disc brakes. LOL.

Challenger in NC

Quote from: tparker on December 23, 2020, 02:30:42 PM
Nope, but it looks interesting. I let mine sit from '91until a few years ago. I had little money so I would do a little bit of work here and there. I'm finally at a point where it is almost ready to drive. Engine should be ready from the shop any day now. That plus a few odds and ends and I'll be able to drive it :). Hopefully this documentary will remind me of the work i did. LOL.

As far as nitpickers, I hate them. The cars are meant to be driven and has things wear out, you fix them the best you can. I am not a numbers guy and I don't fret that my alternator of battery doesn't have the right date code. If it isn't original.... it is not original. Even if it seems original, it isn't. LOL. So, so long as it doesn't have a chevy 350 in it, have fun and get 'er running. LOL.

And for cringe worthy rebuilds, my western sport special now has a stroked 340 with 727 and 8 3/4 with 3.23 gears (until I decide to up that number a bit) with front disc brakes. LOL.

Sounds like a fun car, bet you are anxious to get that engine fired up again.

7212Mopar

I watched all the videos on the Challenger, not a fan of leaving the body panels and doors the way the owner decided and build out the rest. The kid also has videos on his Charger build.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

Challenger in NC

Quote from: 7212Mopar on December 23, 2020, 10:53:04 PM
I watched all the videos on the Challenger, not a fan of leaving the body panels and doors the way the owner decided and build out the rest. The kid also has videos on his Charger build.

We all know that body work is very expensive and time consuming but it is just a shame that some parts of the car are brand new while the most visible part is damaged. I wonder if all or most of the repro parts were donated by the vendors, Classic Industries being the main one? That Dakota Digital instrument panel that mimics the e-body rallye dash is really nice.

RacerX

I've watched the whole series as it came out and applaud the saving of another E-body that would otherwise be reclaimed by nature.

He is very personable and hard working, mad points for effort.    Some of his work is a bit cringeworthy but he is young and learning
and appears to be doing the bulk of it himself without other adults interfering.    While I understand some folks like "patina" I don't
agree with leaving things like the huge caved in door while putting a brand new interior panel on it.     :headbang:

His videos seem to imply that Classic Industries (and others) is/are giving parts free/cheap but other videos he moans the cost, so not
really sure on that.   It does look like dad has money so there may be some assistance there.    If the vendor sponsors is true it must be
nice to have backers for your restoration like that!