Main Menu

Deadline to 2024. The 73 Cuda will be done.

Started by Swamp Donkey, December 19, 2017, 08:51:40 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Swamp Donkey

Well, here is my official build thread.  I'm actually going to make this happen. I will lay out the basics of my dream car.

1) Change colour of car to either a dark metallic green, or a dark candy apple green.
2) 3rd Gen Hemi with some sort of forced induction.
3) Possibly mini tubs. (Undecided on what to do with rear suspension)
4) Full QA1 front suspension
5) Updated front seats.
6) Some sort of 5 or 6 speed standard transmission.
7) Autometer gauge cluster
8) Paint front and rear bumpers and mirrors body color.  No chrome.  :lookatthat:
9) Updated wheels and tires and brakes.
10) I'm thinking vintage air conditioning.

The reason for the 2024 deadline is that's the year I turn 50.  I'm currently saving money every month for the car.  I've had the car since I was 18 and have not driven it since 1993.  Well that's a little lie, I did get the car running this summer after sitting for 25 years and did a burnout.  LOL. 

So I think 1st on my list of things to do is to start completely tearing down the car and getting a rotisserie to get after the underside of the car with any necessary panel replacements, sandblasting, priming, frame connectors etc. 

Does that even sound like a good place to start?  I've never built a car before!

1973 Cuda. 340 4 speed.

nsmall

https://forum.e-bodies.org/cuda-and-challenger-general-discussion/2/breaking-a-car-down-for-media-blasting-tips-for-a-rookie/517/

Hope that helps. 

I'm not sure if a rotisserie is completely necessary unless you have access to one or can find one for cheap.

I would just reiterate.... take LOTs of pictures as I took a lot and I still wish I would have taken more at times.  Take a picture from a distance and get closer if that makes sense and then organize the pictures in a logical manner.

Restoring parts is fun.  Good luck.

Cuda Cody

anlauto

Sounds like you're destroying a really rare and very cool car to build your dream car which will also be cool  :banana: Good luck with your project, be sure to bring us along for the ride. :takepicture:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Swamp Donkey

Even when I bought the car when I was a kid, I was always under the impression that the only rare and valuable Cudas were the 1970 & 1971 cars. 

How rare is this car?

What's it worth in it's current condition.  (Canadian)

Because I'm not 100% attached to the car and would consider selling the car if it really is that rare and valuable and picking up another project to build the car as described above.
1973 Cuda. 340 4 speed.

blown motor

Your plan goes out 7 years. Sometimes I wonder how long repro parts will be available until the manufacturers decide that the market has gotten too small and they quit making parts. Dave at Roseville is a great guy and you may want to get to know him if you don't already. He'll be able to advise you on parts availability moving forward. We've already seen coloured interior panels get discontinued. It would be a bummer if you needed something in 5 years and could no longer get it. Just my  :alan2cents:
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

303 Mopar

If it is a numbers matching car, then I would reconsider restoring it back to the fender tag/buildsheet because a black 340 4 spd Cuda is pretty cool no matter what year.  The '70-71's are just more in demand than the '72-74, not necessarily more rare. 

Your car is very similar to @CudaKat's -'73 340 4 spd non-numbers matching and even had all the rust.  We are doing a full restoration and dropping in a Gen III 6.1.   

anlauto

Quote from: Swamp Donkey on December 20, 2017, 05:01:08 AM
    Even when I bought the car when I was a kid, I was always under the impression that the only rare and valuable Cudas were the 1970 & 1971 cars. 

How rare is this car?

What's it worth in it's current condition.  (Canadian)

Because I'm not 100% attached to the car and would consider selling the car if it really is that rare and valuable and picking up another project to build the car as described above.

Don't get me wrong, rare doesn't always equal desirability or sale-ability. You're correct that the most desirable Cuda's are those expensive 1970-71's, but that doesn't mean there aren't any rare 72-74's.

From 1970 to 1974 TX9 Black paint is one of the rarest colours. Having black exterior  with a coloured interior other then black or white is very rare. Black and blue has to be the best. Then having a rare colour combo with the best drive line available that year, 340 4spd and you basically have the cream of the crop. Add documentation and matching numbers and this car is screaming for a complete stock ground up restoration, Unfortunately not many 72-74's end up going that direction.

If you go out to your garage and look at your car, envision what would be left of the original car once you're done creating your dream....you might be better off just looking for a rustfree shell to build, but they are not easy to find these days either....

As a project, I think you could get around $10K-$15K CDN for your car as it sits today.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: anlauto on December 20, 2017, 05:42:21 AM
As a project, I think you could get around $10K-$15K CDN for your car as it sits today.

Which wouldn't buy you a replacement with any advantages, While I agree with Alan it's a shame to modify this car I also know it's probably your best course of action....   

FWIW I suggest you look at Hotchkis suspension rather than QA1 ... Honestly I suggest you look at an awful lot of what Mike Goodman (GoodysGotaCuda)  has done... His car is very well executed...

Swamp Donkey

On the "other" forum there is a guy by the name of Lotsapins that has just about everything done to his car that I Dream of for mine.  Goody also has a sweet ride that I would definitely get a few ideas from too. I will look into Hotchkiss for sure.
1973 Cuda. 340 4 speed.

anlauto

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on December 20, 2017, 08:39:42 AM

Which wouldn't buy you a replacement with any advantages, While I agree with Alan it's a shame to modify this car I also know it's probably your best course of action....   

I agree with Mr. Wild.

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: anlauto on December 20, 2017, 09:57:49 AM
Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on December 20, 2017, 08:39:42 AM

I agree with Mr. Wild.

It's a tough deal, not many 72-74's left that are original, rare combo, perfect candidate to go OE but OE isn't as fun as build to your desires.... I really appreciate Burdar's 73, just not many restored ones around...

anlauto

I really appreciate the quality of Darren's resto on his 73 Challenger, like we said, not too many around like that.... :worship:

Too bad someone local with a similar or better condition 73 Cuda couldn't swap Mr. Donkey for his car.....just seems a shame that everything cool about his car is being tossed aside for yet another resto mod   :burnout:

RUNCHARGER

There is nothing to lose by advertising a potential trade for 318 car either in better shape or with cash to you. I would only consider this with a B.C. or Alberta car because of the trouble of registering an out of country car (especially going two ways). You will most likely find that although everyone thinks a black, 340, 4 speed car is really cool they probably will not think it is cool enough to make it worth your while to sell or trade it.
Once you have a plan for what suspension you are going to run I too would order all the sheetmetal you need now in case the repro sheetmetal isn't available in the future.
With your shop and if you have time I would then sandblast the car and do all the metal replacement yourself.
That's enough to get you started anyway.
I also think your car is extra cool in stock form but in the end you need to do what you want and you've kept it this long so I figure you love it more than anyone else will.
Sheldon

Rich G.

If that's your dream car, go for it. Life is short, enjoy it. Bag and tag everything you take off and don't throw anything out until you drive it away. Taking it all apart and blasting it will show you whats hiding under the paint. Wasn't much left to my car when I did that but you really need to know. PS if you want to sell that air cleaner let me know. Good luck