Main Menu

Deadline to 2024. The 73 Cuda will be done.

Started by Swamp Donkey, December 19, 2017, 08:51:40 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Swamp Donkey

Starting to disassemble the 6.4 hemi.   Things are finally starting to happen.  Looks like previous owner of this engine did not take care of it.  Not the end of the world I guess since I already planned on a full rebuild.  Deciding if the stock crank from this truck engine will be sufficient.  Or if a 426 stroker kit is what it needs.  Heads will be off to be ported by Dec 1st.  It's in the back of my truck because I took it to my friends place who is a very knowledgeable and experienced race  engine builder.  :ohyeah:
1973 Cuda. 340 4 speed.

YellowThumper

Very cool,
Look forward to seeing this progress.

Mike  :tool:
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

nsmall

:wrenching:  Glad to see an update.  Enjoyed that burn out you did and posted.  I would play as much as you can before everything gets nice and you are less likely to want to  :stayinlane:

Swamp Donkey

The truck Hemi heads were a home run.  Apparently I got the good heads with lots of extra material for porting and strength.  CNC porting is done, bigger valves installed and the intake flows 440 cfm on the intake.  Now I'm no engine building expert, but that seems like a lot of airflow.   Ordered a 426 stroker rotating assembly with  .010 over pistons.   The truck block is now at the machine shop, and apparently is the good block with extra ribbing for strength re enforcement. My friend said there was two other 6.4 Hemi blocks at the shop and he could easily see the extra material on my block. I hope by April or June this engine will be on the dyno.  I don't get excited about much in life.  But this es getting exciting for me. Hehe.
1973 Cuda. 340 4 speed.

Chryco Psycho

Great that you ended up with the better block & heads  :twothumbsup:

Swamp Donkey

Camshaft is now ordered.  I've got to figure out exactly what I need for the front of this engine.  I think the way the accessories are from the truck engine that I have to get a front cover and accessories from a normal car 6.4L.

Stroker rotating assembly is in.  Machine shop just got a torque plate for the 3rd gen Hemi. So some engine assembly will be started in the next month or two.

Things are getting closer. 

I've got another big decision to make fairly soon.  What kind of transmission I'm going to run.  I guess we can't balance the engine without the flywheel or flexplate. Although a quick google search says that the Gen III flywheels and flexplates are neutral-balanced.  Whatever that means.
1973 Cuda. 340 4 speed.

Chryco Psycho

Neutral balance means the engine is internally balanced & will not depend on the flex plate /converter or flywheel to balance the engine , this is the best way to go as you do not ever have to have a specific balance added outside of the engine itself .

RUNCHARGER

Just curious where you are getting the machine work done. The brothers place in Red Deer? It looks really good. My guys always balanced the crank first and then added stuff and made sure it was all perfect as well. Theory being if you change a flexplate or whatever and the flexplate is neutral then the whole assembly should still be balanced perfectly.
Sheldon

Swamp Donkey

Thanks for the clear and easy to understand description of neutral balancing.   And I know the heads are in Red Deer for the CNC porting and new bigger valves etc.  I will find out what machine shop it is, but I'm assuming it would be the brothers place if you have heard of it.

The rest of the engine work like balancing and boring of the block will be done at Jim's Engines in Prince George.   Assembly of the engine by my friend who has taken charge of the build.  Haha.
1973 Cuda. 340 4 speed.

RUNCHARGER

Sheldon

Swamp Donkey

ARLRACING is who did the CNC porting on my heads.  I now have the whipple supercharger and a ton of other accessories.  Got a really good deal on the supercharger and front cover, harmonic balancer, electric water pump, custom billet aluminum brackets, 12 groove pulleys etc.  My friend was at a all Mopar swap meet and stumbled across this deal. Pretty pumped.  First good deal so far on this build. Just thought I would throw in a picture of the rods and pistons from the stroker kit.  And the block after coming back from the machine shop.  And it's not going to stay that ugly grey. 

I also contacted the guy who ported my heads.  I think I said they flowed around 440 cfm.   They are actually around 400 cfm. Also got a Holley HP ECU.  :woohoo:
1973 Cuda. 340 4 speed.

Chryco Psycho

RUNCHARGER

Looking really good. You are buying great parts so your end result will reflect that.
Sheldon

Swamp Donkey

Whipple has shown up.  My friend just set the heads and whipple on the block to have a look at what to see what things will look like.  I like it.....  but am seriously wondering if my hood will close.  :looney:
1973 Cuda. 340 4 speed.

Swamp Donkey

Side shot. And yes my friend is a Chevy guy.
1973 Cuda. 340 4 speed.