Main Menu

Dynacorn 6000wt project

Started by Jay Bee, January 30, 2021, 09:11:29 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Jay Bee

I wasn't going to post anything about this since I'm not doing the work and seldom going there the pictures are totally reliant on them. But, since a couple members asked, the car went in on Thu. Jan. 28th and here's what was done yesterday (Fri.).

After it was inspected, the project has already ballooned into fixing any previous "restorers" flaws and a complete paint job.

RUNCHARGER

Sheldon

anlauto

Quote from: Jay Bee on January 30, 2021, 09:11:29 AM

After it was inspected, the project has already ballooned into fixing any previous "restorers" flaws and a complete paint job.

Oh my, I was afraid that was going to happen. I hope, although it's likely too late, that you have chosen a very reputable shop that is honest with you every step of the way...This is a huge rabbit hole you're standing at the top of....If painting the "whole car" means stripping the whole car down to bare metal, be prepared to find lots of other issues....each one costing more money....even the guys doing the work have no idea of what they might find....you should try the best you can to give them a budget to stick to...otherwise there's no telling what you'll be charged....
believe me, I've been on the other side of these situations with almost every restoration I've done  :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Jay Bee

Not being stripped to bare metal, just a scuff. He's not only the shop owner but also a friend and part of the local car group I hang with. They're always busy, never has to advertise for work and I've never heard any complaints of his work. A father and son operation with one employee and a bunch of friends that stop in to help out. So far all the dismantling was done by friends and myself today.

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

jimynick

"And so, they set off on an intrepid voyage" and I hope the seas are calm and kind to you John. I'll call ya tomorrow if that's ok?  :cheers:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

Jay Bee

Quote from: jimynick on January 30, 2021, 10:04:09 PM
I'll call ya tomorrow if that's ok?
Sure, if it goes to voice please try again.

While here, might as well give Murray @blown motor  a shout out. You said "If you start a thread you have to tell the story from the beginning. There's too much craziness there for anybody to make that stuff up". Sorry but way too much drama with the first shop to type out. Besides, I don't think he'd appreciate it if I put all that out there on the web.

dodj

Quote from: Jay Bee on January 31, 2021, 09:24:53 AM
"If you start a thread you have to tell the story from the beginning. There's too much craziness there for anybody to make that stuff up". Sorry but way too much drama with the first shop to type out. Besides, I don't think he'd appreciate it if I put all that out there on the web.
Now...I'm really interested... :popcorn:
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

dodj

And why is this thread titled Dynacorn 6000?!?
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

Shoooter

whats the story with the car. Did you buy it under the impression it wasnt going to need this type of work?

gzig5

Quote from: dodj on January 31, 2021, 12:56:44 PM
That's the part number for the one piece rear pan assembly that has the trunk floor, rear seat back, frame rail, torque boxes, etc all welded together ready to drop in the car.  I put one in my car this past spring and the shop liked it.  Saved them a bunch of labor and me $$$.  Like the OP, they found some Easter eggs once they got into mine that ended up driving more cost, panels, and labor.  But it was worth it.  Car is as strong or stronger than new now and what was hidden could have hurt someone.

https://www.ebay.com/p/6003317147
Price seems to be coming down, I wonder if they are making them again.

Jay Bee

Quote from: Shoooter on January 31, 2021, 01:19:23 PM
whats the story with the car. Did you buy it under the impression it wasnt going to need this type of work?

Bought the car in 1979, rear frame rails, wheel houses, spring perches, rear crossmember, etc are some of the last few things that haven't been replaced yet. That Dynacorn 6000WT piece addresses a lot of it.

dodj

Quote from: gzig5 on January 31, 2021, 02:26:56 PM
Quote from: dodj on January 31, 2021, 12:56:44 PM
That's the part number for the one piece rear pan assembly that has the trunk floor, rear seat back, frame rail, torque boxes, etc all welded together ready to drop in the car. 
Wow! That would be a time saver! Bit scary I'll bet removing everything to fit it in, but, ya, nice piece.

Jay Bee

Quote from: gzig5 on January 31, 2021, 02:26:56 PM
That's the part number for the one piece rear pan assembly that has the trunk floor, rear seat back, frame rail, torque boxes, etc

Hey gzig5, I didn't look very close at mine but was told that it didn't come with torque boxes so I bought those separate.

gzig5

Maybe I misspoke.  I was referring to the structure that the front of the leaf spring mounts to.  When It is  in the car, you can tie it together with an additional plate like the I think the Hemi cars and convertibles used.  I assume that is the extra part you purchased?  It does come with fuel tank straps and dual exhaust hangers which I needed as well.