Main Menu

A/C Unit Dealer Installed 74 Charger

Started by 71vert340, September 20, 2022, 02:14:40 PM

Previous topic Next topic

71vert340

I know it's not an e-body subject but many on here own more than an e-body like I do. Anyway, I removed this in dash installed a/c unit from my Charger. It was complete except for the compressor and filter/dryer. The control switch panel is a Chrysler product and is shown in the box of a/c parts. It was installed between the ashtray and glove box. Several rectangular holes were roughly cut in the dash frame for the stock looking vents. The a/c controls were independent of the heater/fan controls. The evaporator was totally up under the dash and is seen in the box. At the back of the box you can see the very shallow black glove box to get room for evaporator. A plenum was made for the front of the evaporator box and the flex hoses you see went to the vent louvers at each end of dash and through the plastic bezel in dash pad just like a factory unit would be. The blower motor worked and could be supplying cool a/c air with the stock heater on. Strange. On the b-body site, one person said they had seen a similar installed unit in a late C-body. Anyone here seen this? That would have been an expensive add on back in 1974. I'm debating on what to do with it as I'm cleaning out a bunch of parts I'm not using and just put this unit in a box outside. Any info appreciated. I went back to non-A/C in the Charger.
Terry W.