Main Menu

New Cuda Project for Road Racing!

Started by 72hemi, December 24, 2020, 09:30:36 AM

Previous topic Next topic

72hemi

So for years I have wanted to build a car that would be dedicated for road course track days and decided that a cuda would be the perfect car for me to use. I couldn't justify cutting up a 70 or 71 car and I didn't want to spend the money on one of those either. So a 72-74 was the perfect candidate to convert to a 70/71. Finally this week I picked up the perfect candidate! A 1974 Plymouth Barracuda that unfortunately was involved in a fire 3 years ago. The frame rails are rock solid as is the inner structure. The sheet metal I don't care about as I will be replacing all of it with new AMD metal to convert it to a 71. Originally I was going to build a 70 AAR 'cuda, but have decided since I love the 71 so much that I will build it into a 71 cuda racecar. I will be installing a 12 point cage, sub frame connectors, torque boxes, etc. This will be a long term project and I can't wait to get working on it! I will be documenting the entire build process on my YouTube channel Life at Speed (linked below). The first video will be launched on Christmas day at 3 pm.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChAzOMcR7uLgoYjS9xODpsg
Life's too short to drive boring cars

nsmall

I just checked out your YouTube channel and thanks for sharing your upcoming project with us.  Good luck and have a lot of fun.

Chryco Psycho

That is cool save a unwanted car & build your dream !!

Topcat

Looking forward to following your progress John.

Is this a Santa Rosa fire victim car?

spoolinhard

Enjoyed your SRT video. I've got a black 05 ACR and a built blue 04 myself.

anlauto

Yup, I agree...really great to see this car being saved...  :twothumbsup: or perhaps  "repurposed"  :drinkingbud:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Poolshark314

1973 Barracuda
2012 Charger R/T AWD

72hemi

Thanks everyone for the support and words of encouragement! This car went through one of the fires by Napa. I posted my first video introducing the project today.

https://youtu.be/T9CeDfE3wHI

nsmall

I like your last video.  I believe you.  You will finish this project.

72hemi

So yesterday I had some time to start cleaning out the Barracuda and took some additional pictures and video. Of course some areas are worse than expected and some are better than expected, but overall I am extremely happy with what I have to start with for this project. When all is said and done I will most likely have more money invested in it than it is worth, but that is not the point of this project. It's a personal challenge to prove that I can and at the same time save another one from the scrap pile.

72hemi

Quote from: nsmall on December 26, 2020, 05:13:22 PM
I like your last video.  I believe you.  You will finish this project.

Thank you for the vote of confidence!

72hemi

Quote from: Poolshark314 on December 25, 2020, 08:21:45 AM
Name it Project: Bar-B-Cuda?

I really like that name! But I found out roadkill named a project that on an A-body Barracuda that went through a fire.

72hemi

And for those curious about some of the past E-bodies I have done, here are some before and after shots.

Topcat

John and I go way back.

He'll get er done! 

72hemi

Quote from: Topcat on December 28, 2020, 08:51:16 PM
John and I go way back.

He'll get er done!

Thanks Mike! We do go a ways back don't we  :cheers: