Main Menu

New Fenders or Stamping non-original on 71 Cuda

Started by Drive In Cars, March 18, 2019, 12:41:26 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Drive In Cars

Hi people,

I recently purchased this 71 cuda and she came with non gilled fenders.  I'm not sure which route I should go to change that.  For a few hundred dollars difference I can save myself a seven hour ride to drop off to stamping shop and pick them back up a week later.  That would consist of many tolls gas etc. plus the cost of stamping.  I can buy a pair if Goodmark 71 gilled fenders delivered for about $300.00 more .  I also checked shipping both ways and would be close to the same amount.  I know there can be problems with proper fitting and such with the new fenders, but the ones I took off weren't original and they managed to make them fit.  I've read pro's and cons of both AMD and Goodmark along with others.  I know it sounds like I've made my mind up, but please if I should change it let me know, I'm no pro here lol.  Also I could put the two I have up for sale and get some money back.   Here are a few photo's I'm sure many of you have seen these on the other thread.

Bill
Movies & Cars......So Movie Cars it is !

anlauto

I would say that if the fenders you have are 100% perfect with no rust, no bondo...then go ahead and get the holes stamped into them...if not, just buy a set of AMD fenders and be done with it  :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Rich G.

For what it's worth I bought AMD fenders for my 71 Cuda and had no problems with them. Twice the price you're saying on the goodmarks

6pack

If you stamp them, no need to paint and matching an old paint job on new ones.  Repainting just fenders does not always achieve great results.  When you drop them off at Tony's go to the Charlotte show and pick them up on the way back!

Drive In Cars

Quote from: anlauto on March 18, 2019, 12:55:17 PM
I would say that if the fenders you have are 100% perfect with no rust, no bondo...then go ahead and get the holes stamped into them...if not, just buy a set of AMD fenders and be done with it  :alan2cents:

These fenders are pretty decent no rust, but not like new, they have a couple nicks.  I would definitely like to get them stamped, but It's a 400 mile trip through NYS thruway,garden state parkway, and I-95. Many tolls and gas and very stressful city driving lol.  For roughly $300 more I can save that two time trip  over the 7-10 day wait after dropping them off and get the Goodmark fenders. Amd's are about $300 more for the pair than Goodmark.  I read here and other sites good and bad comparing AMD to Goodmark. Have you used both?

Bill

Drive In Cars

The car is going to be TX9, white is not the original color anyways. She was red originally.

Drive In Cars

Quote from: Rich G. on March 18, 2019, 12:58:36 PM
For what it's worth I bought AMD fenders for my 71 Cuda and had no problems with them. Twice the price you're saying on the goodmarks

That $300 is on top of the trip cost which has to be twice, so AMD's are roughly only $150 more each fender.   Would like to know if anybody has used both and is the difference a BIG one.

Thanks,

Bill

Crocha617

Quote from: 6pack on March 18, 2019, 01:06:06 PM
If you stamp them, no need to paint and matching an old paint job on new ones.  Repainting just fenders does not always achieve great results.  When you drop them off at Tony's go to the Charlotte show and pick them up on the way back!

I'm pretty sure they will still have to be repainted if they are stamped. When the guys in CT used to do it they would strip that section of fender to bare metal to do the stamping. Even if you didn't strip it I would think the paint around the recesses would crack.

ragtopdodge

Original is always best IMHO.

If those current fenders are OEM, stamp them.

You could always get the PG Classics metal pieces and have a local shop weld them in if you don't want to go to that stamping place that seems so far (can always ship them; Yellow Freight is cheap if you put them on a pallet).

https://pgclassic.com/209-lh-mopar-1971-plymouth-cuda-lh-fender-gill-patch/

Drive In Cars

Quote from: Crocha617 on March 18, 2019, 01:56:19 PM
Quote from: 6pack on March 18, 2019, 01:06:06 PM

I'm pretty sure they will still have to be repainted if they are stamped. When the guys in CT used to do it they would strip that section of fender to bare metal to do the stamping. Even if you didn't strip it I would think the paint around the recesses would crack.

Yes that's right you mentioned that to me Chris.

Man I do wish we were closer so we could each make the trip.  It is a bit farther than my fist calculations lol.  If I could drop them off to Tony's in the morning and get them back late in the day or even the next day, this wouldn't be an issue.  I just can't really do the trip twice in the next two weeks, I will be doing too much Drive In theater opening stuff shortly.  I don't know why it takes up to 10 days to do this process.  I wonder if he has them sent out to be stamped or if it's done on site.  I'll make my mind up later this week either way.  At least this is something to read and look at lol.

Bill

Drive In Cars

Quote from: ragtopdodge on March 18, 2019, 02:30:29 PM
Original is always best IMHO.

If those current fenders are OEM, stamp them.

You could always get the PG Classics metal pieces and have a local shop weld them in if you don't want to go to that stamping place that seems so far (can always ship them; Yellow Freight is cheap if you put them on a pallet).

https://pgclassic.com/209-lh-mopar-1971-plymouth-cuda-lh-fender-gill-patch/

Ok Thanks.

Not original replaced during restoration over 25 years ago.

Bill

JS29

Are the fenders OEM? I would tend to think they are being that they were installed that long ago. Mopar metal is the best thing to use. If done properly the gill patch panel would be fine. making a flange and properly fit and welded together. :alan2cents:

ragtopdodge

Original==OEM.

I didn't mean original to the car.

Ya, doubtful they had repop fenders 25 years ago.

If those OEM fenders have no rot, bondo, etc., stamp or weld in the louvre holes.

Cuda70-74

I got goodmark fenders and they fit just fine or like others have said use the gill patch panel. Its cheaper and u keep your original fenders.
1969 mustang
1974 cuda turnt into a 71 cuda
1968 charger