Main Menu

original parts

Started by WSS340, May 28, 2018, 03:22:41 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Morty426

Quote from: WSS340 on June 02, 2018, 09:54:14 PM
:lookatthat:that red wss a66 is beautiful ,my  wss a66 is documented on Washington's site, just motivates me to get going on mine

He's doing it slightly on a budget and since he is trying to get 3 other cars together at the same time it's pretty impressive

WSS340

:popcorn:  my numbers matching WSS340 engine ,I was going to use the block for my 408 build but I'm probably going to use a 360 block and just store this engine in the garage

I'm a professional race engine builder so a stock 340 is not going to cut-it for a heavy challenger . the goal is 500hp on pump gas ....good luck everyone with those projects

tparker

Sweet. I have only seen one or two Western Sport Specials over the years. Not too many.  I have one I'm restoring that I bought back in 1989 or so for $900. It's yellow with a vinyl top and originally had a 318 and very wimpy drive train. Most of the WSS options seem to be trim related. I dig everything except the side molding which I'll remove. Unfortunately I let it sit while in the army and it got trashed. I have most of the interior complete and need to focus on engine bay. I got a 340 I hope to send to the shop in a few months along with a 727 torque flight tranny and an 8 3/4. The sad thing is I'd like to replace the decals but I don't think I can get them anywhere.

autoxcuda

Quote from: WSS340 on June 03, 2018, 01:06:24 PM
:popcorn:  my numbers matching WSS340 engine ,I was going to use the block for my 408 build but I'm probably going to use a 360 block and just store this engine in the garage

I'm a professional race engine builder so a stock 340 is not going to cut-it for a heavy challenger . the goal is 500hp on pump gas ....good luck everyone with those projects

Do you plan on 500 hp completely stealth with stock engine compartment?

Or simply running aftermarket heads and headers ?
Spring Fling April 2024 Woodley Park, Van Nuys CA, 600+ Mopars, 175+ all Mopar swap, Malibu Cruise, Mopar Cruise-In: www.cpwclub.com Date comming...

WSS340

:popcorn:  rpm heads ,tti  headers ,rpm intake but the complete engine with stock valve covers will be painted orange and running original air cleaner

WSS340

do you mean the lower rocker moulding ? what condition is it in ?   send pics to cchavez0108@gmail.com

Topcat

Quote from: tparker on June 03, 2018, 02:51:00 PM
The sad thing is I'd like to replace the decals but I don't think I can get them anywhere.

They're out there.
Just do some searches.

https://www.phoenixgraphix.com/p-d/6970wss.php

anlauto

Quote from: tparker on June 03, 2018, 02:51:00 PM
The sad thing is I'd like to replace the decals but I don't think I can get them anywhere.

The only place for quality mopar decals and stripes....PERFORMANCE CAR GRAPHICS  :twothumbsup:
http://www.performancecargraphics.com/Stripes_Lettering/Challenger/70_Western_Sport_Special.htm
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

tparker

Thanks @anlauto & @Topcat  I had no idea they actually made these. I actually don't want to scrape the old ones off, but they are in horrible shape and car HAS to be repainted.

quapman

Did David at PCG ever get the lettering right on the WSS decals? The ones I bought 20 years ago were slightly different from originals. Mostly in the "W" if I recall.

autoxcuda

Quote from: WSS340 on June 03, 2018, 04:27:25 PM
:popcorn:  rpm heads ,tti  headers ,rpm intake but the complete engine with stock valve covers will be painted orange and running original air cleaner

Shouldn't be much challenge to get 500hp with your resources.

I run that same basic setup in a 340 block to make 416" in my 68 A-body Barracuda.

I thought you might try to get to 500hp with cast iron heads and stock manifolds. That would be trick and super stealth.

Spring Fling April 2024 Woodley Park, Van Nuys CA, 600+ Mopars, 175+ all Mopar swap, Malibu Cruise, Mopar Cruise-In: www.cpwclub.com Date comming...

70/6chall

When I Dodge dealership purchased my Challenger, as a trade-in, it was decked out in WSS trim.
Not coded A91 but all WSS trim present inside and out minus the vinyl top. Probably a collaboration between dealer and original owner to get rid of a Slant6 car. When it came time for a repaint, I fretted about the decals on rear quarters. Can't remember who I bought them from, this was in early 90's. They did not look the same as the originals. Could've been PCG not sure. I didn't make bones about the wrong "W, had the new paint applied in '98 and put the decals on. I've since found the proper original decals and planning on swapping them out. I believe the ones I used was for the '69 Dart.
Couple pics for example.    Thanks,   Al

GY3R/T

Did 1970 WSS 340 engines come with the smaller 1.88 intake valves ?    :thinking:
   Was your WSS Challenger a very late production car ? Was the engine ever opened ?

Morty426

Quote from: GY3R/T on June 04, 2018, 06:00:29 PM

Did 1970 WSS 340 engines come with the smaller 1.88 intake valves ?    :thinking:
   Was your WSS Challenger a very late production car ? Was the engine ever opened ?

Why would being a WSS have any effect on that? 

GY3R/T

Quote from: Morty426 on June 04, 2018, 09:04:51 PM
Quote from: GY3R/T on June 04, 2018, 06:00:29 PM

Why would being a WSS have any effect on that?
Because I'm looking at pic of a numbers matching 1970 340 from a WSS challenger with J heads. ( see earlier post ).
And is why i asked the other two questions.