Main Menu

Purple1's resurrection

Started by purple1, August 22, 2017, 06:39:16 AM

Previous topic Next topic

purple1

Work has been started. I don't want to call this a restoration (at least not yet), but it may turn into one. I have started taking my purple car apart. So far it looks like it might be a candidate for full quarters in the rear. Have a look and tell me what you think. I don't have full quarters, all I have are quarter skins. I'm thinking I can use the skins on my other car and maybe get new full quarters for this car.

The only other idea is to patch these up. The car will be getting a new vinyl top so any work will get covered up with that. I plan on putting a new roof skin on this and already have that. I already put the new deck lid on to see how it fits. Other plans are new trunk extensions and a drivers side floor repair. I'm sure the more I dig in the more I'm going to find. Stay tuned for more as this will be a quite a project.

Dave

Worlds first e-body trailer. Severna Park, Maryland

Cuda Cody

The more you dig the more that is normally found.  How's the frame rails and floor boards?

If it was me, I would lean towards full quarter panels over skins.  I prefer the idea of having a full panel over a patch job.  But it's about 6 of one and a half dozen of the other.

purple1

Quote from: Cuda Cody on August 22, 2017, 07:25:53 AM
The more you dig the more that is normally found.  How's the frame rails and floor boards?

If it was me, I would lean towards full quarter panels over skins.  I prefer the idea of having a full panel over a patch job.  But it's about 6 of one and a half dozen of the other.

Cody, the frame rails are good front and rear. It has a bad spot in the drivers side floor. Looks like the windshield leaked and right under the pad rotted. I have a new drivers floor pan to fix that. I know what you mean about 6 of one half a dozen of the other with the quarters. It is hard to see in the pictures, but the sail panels have some rust holes that will have to be cut out and patched if I don't go full quarters. I'm trying to keep this from going way over budget, but then I want to do it right.  :dunno:

Dave

Cuda70-74

Looks like the fun is going to start on this project. :wrenching:
1969 mustang
1974 cuda turnt into a 71 cuda
1968 charger

ViperMan

Sorry to see ol' Purple1 out of commission for a while, but excited that you're going to get to work on it!  Good luck, Dave.

Chryco Psycho

You did not mention you were taking her apart but it look like it was about time to do so , I hope it all goes smoothly  :bigthumb:

Brads70

Somehow I sense a case of " mission creep" coming on. Looks like you have a good game plan though!

purple1

A little progress last night (sorry no pictures). I got the headliner out. I also finished removing the trim on top of the door/window openings. I also got a hold a friend I used to work with. He has a shop about an hour south of me. He does paint and body work. I'm going to try and go see him soon about the paint work.

@ViperMan and @Chryco Psycho I have been planning this for some time now. I have most of the parts to get the job done, but we all know how this goes.

Anyone know the best place to get full quarters? I don't think the quarter skins are going to work out. Another question, AMD or Goodmark? The AMD panels seem to cost more, but are they worth the difference?

@Brads70 I hope it doesn't "creep" too far. Right now I can put a front seat back in and it will still drive. I don't plan on taking it too far from this condition right now. Other than replacing the gas tank and new transmission lines, I'm not digging into the mechanics right now.

Dave

Cuda Cody

@MoparDave  can get you full quarter panels.  The AMD's work good, but you can make any of them fit nicely after a little work.  They all need a little work.  With the AMD challenger quarter panels you need to also test fit the fuel filler cap.  Sometimes the hole is a little small and doesn't fit perfectly.  So check that when you install the quarters.

Quote from: purple1 on August 23, 2017, 05:03:52 AM

Anyone know the best place to get full quarters? I don't think the quarter skins are going to work out. Another question, AMD or Goodmark? The AMD panels seem to cost more, but are they worth the difference?

MoparDave

@purple1
I can get you AMD, Goodmark, Dynacorn LMK what your looking for.
Please Email me at david.radcliffe@golling.com or through the the website. https://www.rosevillemoparts.com/contact-us/

Chryco Psycho

I ld buy from Dave / Roseville , he can explain what the differences are as they do in house restos too

purple1

More rust found...  :(
Last night I got the temporary patch removed from the drivers side floor. Man I put that in to stay put! After a struggle I got it out though and as the photo shows it is a large hole. The passenger side looks fine, and so does the rest of the floor. Just this hole in the drivers side I have to fix.

Then I moved on to the windshield. I cut the goop around the top and down the sides, and the thing came right out. The bottom channel is all rusted out. So it looks like I am going to need at least the upper cowl or upper firewall, whatever you call it, replaced too.

The list of repair panels is growing, as well as the depth of the work.  :wrenching:

Dave

MoparDave

@purple1
I also have in stock that dash pad, 1 speaker with AC.
Please Email me at david.radcliffe@golling.com or through the the website. https://www.rosevillemoparts.com/contact-us/

purple1

Quote from: MoparDave on August 24, 2017, 06:32:28 AM
@purple1
I also have in stock that dash pad, 1 speaker with AC.
@MoparDave
Thanks Dave, but I have an original pad that will be going on this. I am getting a list together for you though. So far I am going to need:
Left rear full quarter panel
Right rear full quarter panel
Upper firewall
New vinyl top
Fasteners for window trim and vinyl top trim (do you carry those?)

This may grow as I dig in deeper. I'll let you know everything I need soon.

Dave

Cuda Cody

If the rest of your cowl section is solid, that channel is easy to repair.  And you would get to keep your Cowl VIN numbers. 

There's always more rust then expected once you start looking.  But overall it does not look very bad.  I've seen a lot worse.