Main Menu

Red 1970 Cuda 440-4 Restoration

Started by Norcal440cuda, May 04, 2018, 06:01:19 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Norcal440cuda

This is my first official post other than my introduction. I started this project about 6 years ago and this was my first Mopar! I have decent mechanical knowledge and this is not my first build HOWEVER this was definitely one of the more difficult builds I have done. I learned ALOT of new things about the cuda's and mopars in general. I bought the car from a gentleman in grass valley, ca and he bought it from his friends estate sale. (The original owner passed away) the car had not been on the road since 1978 and was located in Seattle Washington at that time. At the time I purchased the Cuda I was a little younger and overlooked a Key part of the car, It had major rust issues. It was all original numbers matching and a very well optioned Cuda, it had that going for it, which is the reason I restored it. The body shop had to replace the front fenders, both rear quarters, the whole trunk area and the rear tail panel, as well as do work on the doors. Lucky for me the floor board was ok. The Cuda went through almost 2 years of body work. The body shop I gave the car to did an excellent job but I do not want to name them because when I took the car to them it was 100% complete, but when it was done, what they gave me back was more of a shell with a ton of parts missing or broken. Regardless, I went to work researching and figuring out a ton of new things in which I learned by browsing the internet, looking on mopar forums and asking my friend google a million questions. This car is an original numbers matching car, I had the motor and transmission rebuilt to mostly stock, had to re-sleeve the motor, bored to stock displacement with the added hydraulic comp cams and matching valve train. The car has numerous upgrades to make it run better and drive good but it's mostly stock, which is the way I like it. It has factory power windows, overhead console, a/c (which got lost) elast front bumper and other goodies I'm probably forgetting to mention. The Cuda was a tough build but I'm glad I stuck to it and got it done. It was well worth the blood sweat and tears. Well I'm going to leave it at that and let you guys enjoy the pictures and if you have any questions feel free to ask and I'll answer as best as I can. Thanks for reading. -Amrit
P.s- I will be uploading all the picture very soon, these are just a few off my phone. I need to use an image uploader.

More pics
Are

LinceCuda

Well it's looking great now nice work, I hate it that the body shop robbers stole some of the parts.

RUNCHARGER

Cool build. That car has a nice option package on it. I hope you still have the build sheet and data plate?
Sheldon

nsmall

Way to stick with it.  Looking good.

Norcal440cuda

More pics are up guys, I'll try to get better ones in the next few days. Just didn't want to leave you guys waiting. Also I'll try to post a sound clip because this thing sounds gooood. :burnout:

usraptor

Very nice! :clapping: Love the red.   :twothumbsup:   :inlove: Is that the original color?  Almost makes me wish I had painted mine Red.  The side marker lights housings are supposed to be body color, not black.   Looking forward to more pictures.

Cuda Cody

Very nice!!!   :1place:  You should be very proud of that car!  :banana:

Chryco Psycho

Beautiful Cuda
great job on the resto  :twothumbsup:

82firebird

Looks great, welcome and now go enjoy it!

Norcal440cuda

xx88man

Congrats on owning a beautiful Cuda...I love the U-code cars!   :bradsthumb:
Keep yer foot in it

Norcal440cuda

I drove it to work today, ran great, I'm definitely enjoying it. I got the car wrapped in clear xpel so I could drive it rather than have it sit. I want to take it to car shows and truly enjoy it.

nsmall

Could you tell us more about clear xpel?  Did you do the whole car?  Any chance you could share the cost?  Looking sharp!

Norcal440cuda

Quote from: nsmall on May 10, 2018, 09:32:50 AM
Could you tell us more about clear xpel?  Did you do the whole car?  Any chance you could share the cost?  Looking sharp!

For sure, it was done by imperial works out of Sacramento and they installed the xpel tech ultimate on the whole front clip, rocker panels, doors and rear quarters. Cost was close to $2k I believe. But the film is self healing in the sun and does not yellow. Also it carries an amazing warranty. It's basically worth every penny you spend because you do not need to deal with swirl marks and scratches etc.

nsmall

Thanks for the info.  I was afraid of the cost, not surprised.  At least you drive it with more confidence and not be so paranoid.  Thanks again.