Main Menu

1970 'Cuda Restoration Plan

Started by cashmoneyerick, December 20, 2017, 05:21:48 PM

Previous topic Next topic

fc7cuda

Quote from: nsmall on December 22, 2017, 07:20:59 AM
Quote from: 70cudaFun on December 22, 2017, 12:09:09 AM
Hey Cashmoneyrick

A good place to start is with a list of parts you plan on changing on the Cuda, then shopping for prices on those parts.  Mopar parts are not cheap by any means compared to a Chevy or Ford, etc.  Once you have an idea of part prices, figure out what you can and cannot do yourself.  Then get prices on the work you need done such as motor rebuild, paint, interior.  Add it all up and decide if you are okay with spending that amount +10 % for miscellaneous runs to the parts store.  I'm in the middle of restoring one and nothing ends up being cheap, especially if you want quality parts. 60k or so is where you should end up with most builds and probably a few years to complete it if you take your time.  You can buy one for 60k and save yourself the time and work unless you truly enjoy restoring yourself like many of the guys here.

Hope this helps and good luck!  :cheers:

You nailed it.  That's excellent advice.  Just like you said, save and buy one done unless you want to do the restoration yourself.

I agree with the principle of buying one done from an investment standpoint.  To restore one for the love of it and to know it's done right/your way is another consideration, plus the loan to buy a done car may not be obtainable.   :alan2cents:

Good luck to the OP either way.   :cheers:

1 Wild R/T

I think you should sign up at a local community college & start the process of learning to do allot of the restoration yourself.....  I know the one I'm linking isn't the closest but it might be one of the best, the instructor is a very sharp guy.....

http://www.losmedanos.edu/auto/

usraptor

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on December 22, 2017, 07:49:07 AM
I think you should sign up at a local community college & start the process of learning to do allot of the restoration yourself.....  I know the one I'm linking isn't the closest but it might be one of the best, the instructor is a very sharp guy.....

http://www.losmedanos.edu/auto/

:welcome: and I agree completely with Wild R/T.  I've been doing a nut and bolt restoration on my '70 'Cuda since 2009.  I did have to take off approx 3 years for various surgeries and I was at the mercy of my best friend's time schedule who is a paint and body man however he gave me a substantial break on body work and panel replacement, etc.  I'm finally close to being done and hope to driving it this Spring.  That being said, with the break on body work and paint and doing everything else myself, I have well over $30K so far into the restoration (that's not counting the purchase price) and my car didn't need as much body work as yours.  Good luck and keep us posted.

RUNCHARGER

Courses and doing it yourself is a great idea if you have the place and will to do it. I have never borrowed money for a hobby car, my way of doing it is that buying parts as you go is better than making a payment. I would also prefer to do it twice myself rather than pay someone else to do it wrong for me.
Sheldon

anlauto

I don't have any problem with borrowing money to get what you want NOW and pay for it later.....heck 90% of the population most likely has debt for one thing or another......put your hand up if you're 100% debt free ? :dunno:

I tell all my customers to go secure a line of credit to do the entire car first.....then when I hit them monthly with $8K-$10K bills they can at least pay me......they can then pay the bank back at any rate they want.... :bigmoney:

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

RUNCHARGER

That's okay for some people I'm sure. Me, I have only borrowed for a house or a daily driver to get to work. Debt free today thankfully and I intend to keep it that way. It does stop a person from instant gratification though.
Sheldon

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: anlauto on December 22, 2017, 08:01:17 PM
I don't have any problem with borrowing money to get what you want NOW and pay for it later.....heck 90% of the population most likely has debt for one thing or another......put your hand up if you're 100% debt free ? :dunno:

I tell all my customers to go secure a line of credit to do the entire car first.....then when I hit them monthly with $8K-$10K bills they can at least pay me......they can then pay the bank back at any rate they want.... :bigmoney:

My had is held high... Never borrowed for a old car & never will... If I can't pay for it I don't need it...  I rack up thousands in credit card debt every month with my traveling... & pay it off before it's due...    I'd have to win the lottery before paying someone to build me a car...

cashmoneyerick

Thanks everyone for the insight. I definitely feel as if this is going to be expensive, but I knew that coming in. I'm assuming well over $60k just to get the body right, and then additional for all the other work that needs to be done. Being realistic, a new motor is probably not in the plans lol
I think I will sign up for some classes, learn a few trades so I can learn how to do much on my own and then take it from there.
I appreciate all the comments and we'll keep everyone posted as I go on!

Thank you!

RUNCHARGER

Most of us have been through it. So if you take it on yourself all you have to do is ask and you will receive lots of experienced advice. For most of us the restoration is as fun as driving the finished product is.
Sheldon

Roadman

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on December 25, 2017, 02:22:42 PM
Most of us have been through it. So if you take it on yourself all you have to do is ask and you will receive lots of experienced advice. For most of us the restoration is as fun as driving the finished product is.

:iagree: :iagree:  Yep, to me the build is the best part. 

cashmoneyerick

I guess my biggest concern is where to start because I don't have enough money to get the body work done but I'm sure there are things I can do in the meantime.
Because I know the body needs major work should I hold off and save to get that done first or fix the little things.
And what classes could I take that would be most beneficial for me ?

Chryco Psycho

SO much depends on what you have , if the car is solid & drivable fix the small issues & enjoy it , iif it is unsafe to drive different story , start saving $$ & take the car apart & start building it .
Life is simple , any money borrowed costs you extra $$ in interest so being patient & saving your money will go further always .
You can lean 90% of what you need here

AAR#2

Quote from: anlauto on December 22, 2017, 08:01:17 PM
.....put your hand up if you're 100% debt free ? :dunno:
:wave: Have saved tens of thousands paying up front and/or paying early. Saved about $90k on the house alone (sacrifice is the key)

My opinion on the resto is;
- Do not take out a loan, save, pay yourself, pay for outside work as needed with the saved money.
- Strip the car, take lots of photos, bag and label ALL hardware, or keep it with the sub assy when practical.
- Become friendly with others who have restored a car, we usually enjoy helping others (look at their work and if not the end product YOU would like, take their advice with a grain of salt. Many have strengths/weakness, learn to tell the diff when someone shows you how to do something)
- Spend lots of free time researching, books, forums, videos. You'll learn a ton and save as well. You will likely be shocked at what you're capable of doing and the professional results that can be achieve.
- Tackle what you can and learn to be happy/proud of what you've accomplished, even if it's a heater box that no-one will see.
- Don't be afraid to admit your limitation, sending an item out may provide the end results you want (example - Scott Smith Carbs)
- When things aren't going right, don't continue to push forward, walk away for a few hours, days, weeks if needed. Do more research and attempt it again. Often times a clear head and more time to think will yield better results.

I've been working my Cuda for 10 years now, starting year 11 in March  . . . and think this is the year of completion.
I keep a spreadsheet on everything I buy and from who, I anticipate finishing at 65k. That includes the car cost, a Whirly Jig (that now gets rented and reduces my overall cost) and a few other tools needed along the way.

I have a great friend who is always there for advice and is incredibly crafty. His advice at the start was "Do you know how to eat an elephant?!, one bit at a time", don't look at the work waiting to be done and get discouraged, keep knocking it off a little at a time.

The one thing you cannot control is your spouse (assuming you're married), she will need to be understanding, or will tire of the process and make things difficult. Don't let a project cut your net worth in half !

Best of luck to you and your project.