Main Menu

Saving a 71 340 vert

Started by MikeMikeMike, October 05, 2017, 05:03:13 AM

Previous topic Next topic

MikeMikeMike

Given the extent of the deterioration and missing parts I look at as more a case of saving a car as opposed to restoring it. There was not a single part that wasn't damaged, rotted, worn out or missing. The cost just to replace rebuild and repair I'm sure will outweigh its value in the end at least in the short term but I have a hard time leaving things half done or not done to my best ability. So over the course of the last 5 years I've ended up re-doing a lot of stuff I'd already done once before dragging the process out. I also started out by buying a lot of remanufactured parts that are now being replaced with date and part number correct restored parts. It's become an obsession really. The fun kind, like treasure hunting and research and learning.

The car was bought knowing full well that it was a huge project. It's a true 71 340 cuda convertible in fy1 with black interior and black billboards. The convertible and billboard options making it extremely rare... and awesome in my opinion. I normally couldn't afford such a car but it's condition brought it within budget. I also liked that it was a 340 car even though the motor and trans are lost long ago. I continue to try and track the history of it and research parts it would have had originally.

To date, it got blasted and spent two years in body work and paint back to fy1. Lots of amd sheet metal replacements. Got a repop set of rallyes and staggered rubber but now I'm thinking of going stock rallye with polyglass maybe later on. Rear a body case is getting put back to a 489 with the upgrade of a sure grip. Dash got redone by instrument specialties but in hind sight I probably should have done it myself to save some $$ but they did do a great job. Did the upholstery myself. Interior is getting finished as well as everything else. Just got the steering box back from firm feel. Carb is at harms getting restored. Pretty much anything needing plating as part of the restoration process has been sent out. I'm in the process of using some Gibson paints for the grill and organosol. Brewers is putting together a 4 speed for me and a local friend is helping with the other bits as well as the engine.

So currently I'm focused on the engine. My friend is trading blocks with me as he has one that's more date correct and then I have a backup block in case the first one isn't rebuildable. He is suggesting a stroked set up which has some attractive advantages like lower rpm and good drivability with the gears selected, highway and town. I'm thinking of using a timing gear and crane rockers cause I already have them. My main goal is fun and drivability for the long term, not a certain horsepower expectation. I also want the engine bay to look completely factory original with minimal variables. I heard on CC that a striker may require some modifications with the advance which I'm still learning more about. And that a previously machined block may have stroke complications. Any thoughts or insight I can learn here on that would be great.

Thanks
MikeMikeMike

'71 Cuda Convertible 340
'71 International Harvester Scout II

MikeMikeMike

And everyone was right. It is so much easier to post pics here! I felt like a real dummy on other sites for always screwing that up...

Famous last words before screwing it up... :dunno:
'71 Cuda Convertible 340

anlauto

Looks great now  :drooling: Didn't you end up putting frame connectors in it or something ? I remember back when something that really made me cringe :thinking:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Cuda Cody

Looking good!   :twothumbsup:  Love your car man.   :inlove: 

Is that a bronco or scout behind it?   :lookatthat:

MikeMikeMike

@anlauto yes I know. Your comment on the frame connectors stuck with me and I still remember. But in truth they are tacked on in a way that they can be cut off and ground down to the point where you'd never know they had been there in a couple days. That is if I ended up selling it to someone who wanted them off and the price difference warranted it.  Nothing was cut to install them and I'm happy with them as is. If it were a numbers matching car I wouldn't have done it but the same is true for adding the tunnel hump as it was originally a column auto. I kept the tunnel patch panels in case I ever find the original engine and turn it back to completely factory original.  :fingerscrossed:

My main goal is to have fun with the car. Second is to find a balance between achieving that fun while keeping its options open for a fully stock rollback later on if I decide to go that way. Removing frame connectors doesn't scare me if it ever came to that.

@Cuda Cody thanks. That is a 71 scout ii that my grandfather bought new and gave to me when I turned 16 (26 years ago now) lots of love for that old truck.
'71 Cuda Convertible 340

340challconvert

Really appreciate when someone takes a car left for dead and brings it back to life and enjoyment.
Car looks really good.

Working on my own. Y-1, A66 Challenger vert that I have had stored since 1984.  Needs the usual trunk floor and driver's side floor patch, but overall solid.

Would love to see some more pics of your Cuda.
I can really relate to the "want to enjoy your car" comment in prior posts
Best wishes for enjoying the Cuda.
:wrenching:

Data Moderator A66 Challenger Registry

Owner of 1970 A66 Challenger convertible

anlauto

I'm just happy you saved such a rare a valuable car :worship:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

MikeMikeMike

'71 Cuda Convertible 340

RzeroB

Quote from: MikeMikeMike on October 05, 2017, 05:05:38 AM
And everyone was right. It is so much easier to post pics here!

So true! With that said, lets see some more pics! Post 'em up!  :takepicture:
Cheers!
Tom

Tis' better to have owned classic Mopars and lost than to have never owned at all (apologies to Alfred Lord Tennyson)

MikeMikeMike

Sure. Here's a couple more ...the day it arrived and the day it came back from paint. If you want anything specific let me know.
'71 Cuda Convertible 340

anlauto

Man I should have bought that car....I love it ! :drooling:

RUNCHARGER

There was a dead one that came from Prince George B.C> years ago. I can't remember the original colours though. It had been repainted silver with red billboards and last time I seen it twenty five years ago, it was in Winnipeg basically broken in two, Sam had it.
Sheldon

Cuda Cody

You have two very cool and rare cars.  Pretty lucky guy you are!  8)

MikeMikeMike

Thanks @Cuda Cody

I had a request on the steering wheel. Basically re-groove the grain with a scalpel and rub in ebony stain. Wipe off excess and mix the other two to match original. Finish with a clear coat and you're good to go...
'71 Cuda Convertible 340

MikeMikeMike

'71 Cuda Convertible 340