Main Menu

St. Louis Blues Cuda

Started by Filthy Filbert, September 14, 2021, 04:40:00 PM

Previous topic Next topic

anlauto

So, I got a question....why buy the sheet metal up front ? Wouldn't the best price come from the AMD Installation center themselves ? Wouldn't they be more then willing to supply it ?

Now, I have to wonder something.....with SO MUCH AMD sheet metal being out of stock, and on back order, that must really be screwing up the Installation Center's schedule ? How are they building these cars if the parts are not available ?
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Filthy Filbert

You said it yourself.  "With AMD out of stock..."  and "it has to impact scheduling"

I'm not going to sit around and wait for people to stop being scared of covid or for the government to stop handing out money for people to stay home; and finally decide to go back to work.    I started calling AMD distributors to see who had what in stock. 

The installation center wouldn't put me on their schedule until sheetmetal was in-hand.

Also, no. The metal is not cheaper through them.   It's either a totally different company or is at least managed as such.  They charge full MSRP on the metal.  Roseville sells it at a 10% discount. 

anlauto

Quote from: Filthy Filbert on December 14, 2021, 12:32:46 PM
You said it yourself.  "With AMD out of stock..."  and "it has to impact scheduling"

I'm not going to sit around and wait for people to stop being scared of covid or for the government to stop handing out money for people to stay home; and finally decide to go back to work.    I started calling AMD distributors to see who had what in stock. 

The installation center wouldn't put me on their schedule until sheetmetal was in-hand.

Also, no. The metal is not cheaper through them.   It's either a totally different company or is at least managed as such.  They charge full MSRP on the metal.  Roseville sells it at a 10% discount.

That's interesting...I would have thought there would be a huge discount buying direct from them  :thumbdown:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

Filthy Filbert

Again, They're either not the same company, or they are managed as separate and independent companies.   Totally normal for different businesses of the same parent company to operate completely independent, which means business A buys parts from business B at "full retail price" even if it's the same parent company. 

Think about it.    If AMD can sell the part directly to you for $200, why would they sell it to themselves for less, to turn around and sell it to you for less? 

Anyway....I'm not concerned whether or not I got a discount on parts from AMD.

JS29

New car dealerships are run the same way, Body shop invoices the sales department full price for repairs. parts department charges service, body and sales list price as well.  :alan2cents:

Filthy Filbert

Fabricated a set of dollies over the weekend.   Next step; removing suspension! 

anlauto

Mopsquad

That's some Criss Angel stuff going on.  :clapping:

Yellow71Cuda

Quote from: anlauto on January 17, 2022, 01:56:41 PM
How is it balancing there :rubeyes:

Either he:

A) Took the photo during the Vernal Equinox
or
B) He is a graduate of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry
or
C) There are actually four dolly caster wheels, and the two wheels on the side farthest from the camera are simply hidden due to camera angle.

so....B?

Filthy Filbert

:haha: :haha: :haha:

There's 4 casters.

The angle of the photo is deceiving. 

Filthy Filbert

Slow and steady.   Suspension is off.  Bare shell is ready to transport to the installation center.   They said they can take the car in as soon as they have a few more pieces in inventory (as early as mid-March based on AMD's projected arrival dates).

Hopefully it goes sooner than later.  I was kinda bummed when they told me September back in early January

usraptor

Don't know how I missed it but I just found this thread and read the whole thing.  Fascinating story.  Looking forward to following your progress.  Good luck.  :bigthumb:

Filthy Filbert

Thanks!   AMD said they can take the car as soon as every piece that I might need comes into stock.  Some of what they were waiting on came into stock, but while waiting, other parts went out of stock, and the waiting begins again.    I'm not buying the parts that are in stock now "Just in case I need them" in order to get them before they go out of stock again...so we'll see how long this supply chain issue lasts.

Filthy Filbert

a major hurdle is about to be cleared!

Loaded up last night, and Im hitting the road tonight straight from work for Georgia.  Headed to the AMD installation center for them to begin all the metal replacement on the unibody.

It was a bit nerve wracking driving to work this morning.  Had to adjust some of the packaging on the replacement panels that are strategically placed in the passenger area of the the car, and secured with tie down straps.  Also, every bump in the road has me worried that something will shift or fall off.  But, everything was secure when I got to work after 45 minutes on the freeway.

Gonna be a long day, won't get down to Georgia till probably 1 am tonight.  catch some sleep, drop it off in the morning, do the walk around and create the work order, then drive right back home.

anlauto