Main Menu

The red on red 1970 Cuda project

Started by Wayne, May 19, 2019, 05:23:47 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Wayne

Quote from: usraptor on May 23, 2020, 02:46:59 PM
Congrats on getting her out for her maiden voyage. :clapping:  I still remember mine like it was yesterday.  :banana:  Nothing like it.  I'm impressed that you resisted the urge to lite the tires a little.  I know I did, but it was partially due to the 4:10s and I wasn't use to the clutch or gears. (sure  :D) Nothing like rowing those gears.  It's always fun working out those little bugs.  I have a wind whistle with the driver's window down, of all things, that I can't figure out.  Thanks for the video and keep up the good work.  :bravo: :woohoo:

thank you, I appreciate it!  Yeah just enjoying the process.  Trying not to rush as I want it all sorted out now so I can drive it...but reality is thats not part of the process. 

1970 Cuda 383 4spd red on red
Backyard Hotrods @ Youtube, Facebook & Instagram
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2bd5dyuOKCJT-kWhdEGm3A

Wayne

Its been a while! 

To be honest I got pretty frustrated with my car a while back and needed a break from it.  I was driving it a little, trying to sort out some issues. Went to the gas station and it wouldn't start....turn the key and nothing happening.  I had suspected the ignition switch had been acting funny periodically and figured it finally went out.  Finally after 20 minutes of tinkering it did start and got it home and wouldn't start again. 

Every once in a while I would turn the car off and the fuel pump would stay running.  So I was thinking the ignition switch must be acting funny. I have the electric pump wired to acc power so I can prime the carb without it running....I know some are not a fan but I wanted to try that. 

After diagnosing the ignition switch wire to the solenoid was not getting anything volts with the key on I figured I would need to replace the ignition switch....and then I didn't touch it for a while.

Now I am motivated to replace it.  I have never done the ignition switch.  Got the wheel off....my puller was a hare to big to get the crush can off.  I had to take a hare of the ends of it with the die grinder to fit it inside.  But that did the trick.  I had to pick up some smaller snap ring pliers... it took the .047" tips if your wondering.  The bearing housing at first didn't come right off.  Watched Cody's video a few times.  Put the nut on the shaft and tried to pull the housing up while giving it a few good taps and it did come off without using the special tool the manual states.

Going back out tonight to see about getting to the switch.  Going to try and leave the shaft in the car....really don't want to remove that if I don't have too.

anlauto

That job can be a real PITA to do in the car, but you're almost there :bigthumb: 

I hope there is an issue with the switch and not just a loose wire somewhere  :fingerscrossed:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

usraptor

I replaced my ignition switch also.  It was a long time ago but if I remember correctly you should be able to do it with the column/shaft in the car.  Good luck.  :bigthumb:

Wayne

Update time!  I did finish the install of the ignition switch.  Was able to keep the column/shaft in the car.  The switch is working fine no issues.

But then a week later go out to start it and nothing....just like before.  I was hoping/thinking it was the switch but apparently not.  I can't find anything obvious.  I can bypass the relay with a screwdriver and it turns over.  Then the next day I go out and it fires right up....didn't change anything. 

Over the weekend I went and filled it up and wanted to put a few miles on it....2 miles from home it lost power and died.   First time that happened while driving.  Pulled over to a side street and popped the hood.  Nothing obvious...nothing loose that I touched. Get back in the car and it fired right back up.  Went straight home. 

All wiring harnesses in the engine bay are new.  New relay, battery, voltage regulator and rebuilt alternator. 
I know some people add an extra ground to the car.  I haven't yet.  just the factory neg. cable going to the intake manifold bolt and the other small wire going to the radiator support in front of the battery.  Those are good clean connections. 

Think I could be needing another ground?

Not really sure what to do now.  Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated.  Feeling pretty bummed that I don't feel safe really driving it now.  Only have 200 miles on the car so far. 

anlauto

How about the safety switch on the clutch pedal ? Maybe it's not always sending a ground to the relay ?

You could unplug the green wire from the relay and run a constant ground wire to the terminal. See if the "no start" continues. Just be careful because now it will start in gear without the clutch depressed.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

Cudajason

Are the main connections under the dash to the ignition switch clean and tight.

I have had an intermittent no start condition in my cuda in the past, no click nothing...usually wehern I squezzed the connectors it started right up. 

Jason
1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

Wayne

Quote from: anlauto on September 11, 2020, 10:22:32 AM
How about the safety switch on the clutch pedal ? Maybe it's not always sending a ground to the relay ?

You could unplug the green wire from the relay and run a constant ground wire to the terminal. See if the "no start" continues. Just be careful because now it will start in gear without the clutch depressed.

I could check that...thats one thing I haven't replaced or looked at.  Do you think that could cause it to cut out while its running?

Quote from: Cudajason on September 11, 2020, 10:42:20 AM
Are the main connections under the dash to the ignition switch clean and tight.

Thought so but I can / will double check that.

I have had an intermittent no start condition in my cuda in the past, no click nothing...usually wehern I squezzed the connectors it started right up. 

Jason

JS29

@Wayne  The safety switch has nothing to do with your issue. That is there so the starter won't engage unless the clutch is disengaged. I would do what Jason suggested.  :alan2cents: 

anlauto

Quote from: JS29 on September 11, 2020, 10:57:07 AM
@Wayne  The safety switch has nothing to do with your issue. That is there so the starter won't engage unless the clutch is disengaged. I would do what Jason suggested.  :alan2cents:

If the clutch pedal safety switch is not working properly, the car WILL NOT start, the engine WILL NOT turn over. The terminal on the started relay has to be grounded in order for the car to start with the key :alan2cents:

A faulty switch at the pedal will NOT cause the car to lose power while driving obviously.

JS29

@anlauto   Thank you captain obvious. That was what my statement portrayed.     

anlauto

Quote from: JS29 on September 11, 2020, 12:47:41 PM
@anlauto   Thank you captain obvious. That was what my statement portrayed.   

That's me.... :haha:

Wayne

Double checked everything in the engine bay and that looked ok.  Went under the dash and looked at the long/flat connector for the ignition switch by the column.  I just replaced it and the red wire wasn't fully seated and looks like it got pushed out when I put the two connectors together.  I was able to get the wire seated properly and made the connection again.  I'm sure thats why it died when I was driving it. 

I am hoping this connection wasn't tight before and that's why it would occasionally not start.  I went out for a drive on Sunday with a friend and put about 30 miles on it.  Stopped a few times and it fired right back up.  I restarted it twice after I got home and it was good.  Hoping that was the issue.

Going to focus on getting the carb dialed in now.

Thanks for the help  :ohyeah:

A couple picture from Sunday.

anlauto

Wayne

On the hunt for rear seat belts for my car.  Would prefer driver quality originals.  Something I can bolt in and use.  Don't need restored ones. 

Even with red interior my front belts are black....which I believe is correct.

Any help would be great!