Main Menu

Trunk Work

Started by Michael_B767_ATP, January 06, 2018, 11:31:58 AM

Previous topic Next topic

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: Michael_B767_ATP on January 09, 2018, 09:18:40 AM
Hi,

I was told this is an actual replacement bottle from the 70s, why do you believe it is not an actual replacement bottle and a fake?. As far as swapping the can for the correct sticker, I'm not going to do it, as you also point out... That label not 100% correct either, so why change to an empty can with an incorrect label when I have a full can with an incorrect label.

The number one question I hear at car shows (some from the JUDGES) is this "Is that can full", I can now say yes it is. As far as filling the tire and using it, "I WOULD NEVER USE THAT CAN" nor would I "EVER" drive on that tire, so "NOTHING" is going to get ruined.

Anything happens to my baby when I'm on the road I'll be calling a flatbed tow truck for her return home.

Thanks for the advice.

:rofl: The replacement bottles sold in the 70's were the red steel units.... Thats a repo that was brought to market about 10 years ago, they didn't sell well because in spite of being "full" they are far from correct...

Trust Mike, he kinda knows what he's talking about....

Michael_B767_ATP

Hi,

So this is not a bottle that one would purchase in the 1970s to replace a used unit as was stated to me, this is from 2007?

Thanks Everyone, this forum is a great place for new Mopar owners... No doubt about it!

Are these numbers suppose to be there, if so I wonder if we can get a stamp made?.

Thanks again everyone, glad I found this place.
Mike

6bblgt

that's a reproduction with 1970 model year appropriate 17469 6/23/69 & 1971 appropriate 17470 6/23/70 date codes - one is intended to be removed by purchaser based on intended use

6bblgt

Michael_B767_ATP

Hi,

That should be an easy stamp to make up I would think and would add to the realism of the part when looking in the trunk.

Thanks

HEMICUDA

Quote from: Michael_B767_ATP on January 09, 2018, 10:31:03 AM
Hi,

That should be an easy stamp to make up I would think and would add to the realism of the part when looking in the trunk.

Thanks

If you're not going to change the bottle, why worry about a stamp?

Michael_B767_ATP

Hi,

Because the main question I get asked at car shows is "is the bottle full", now I can tell them yes. I don't remember if anyone ever asked if it was an original bottle, just asked if it was full... I'll have to keep that question in the back of my mind when I'm at shows in the future. But I'm almost positive it's, is that can full when they see it.

As you pointed out, the other can on e-bay is incorrect as well. So I can have a can that is full and incorrect or empty and incorrect. Since most viewers at the shows seem to care about the air in the can and not the can itself, that seems to be the better route since both are incorrect. Also, I already own this can, additional funds used to purchase this incorrect replacement could be put towards getting the factory AC working again.

Would be nice to purchase an original can in great shape "even if it was empty". Now an original in great shape, I would put in my car empty or full.

The stamp on the bottom (since it belongs there) would add to the realism of the canister, as it would on the one from e-bay. If you look at the cost of a stamp being made and the realism it brings to the bottle, for a couple of bucks it's an easy and cheat upgrade.

Thanks
Mike