Main Menu

1970 Cuda Driver's ext mirror removal?

Started by 72and86, September 29, 2023, 11:31:38 AM

Previous topic Next topic

72and86

1970 Cuda Driver's mirror removal?
I can't seem to remove the Driver's exterior side mirror, the exterior screws just spin and spin. So I removed the inner door panel and access is very limited to the closest screw which feels like it has something similar to a wall actor on it thats not mounted so it just spins and spins. The further screw inside I dont have a prayer to get to.

Any trick on removing these w/o removing the glass?

Racer57

Have you tried pulling up on the mirror while turning the screws ?

71GranCoupe

Possibly put some small drops of kroil oil on the heads of the screws and let it work its way down to the threads of the inserts. Be sparingly so as not to get on the paint. Then if you are a contortionist, have the window up and clamp on some vise grips then use a small Makita impact or similar and work out the screws. An old trick that works many times is to actually make a small righten motion with the impact before you go into reverse. Another possibility is to drill out the threads of the screws as you will want new fasteners no matter how you get them out.

Keep us informed on what you did and how it worked out. Good luck.

anlauto

Carefully drill them out ? If you can't get vice grips on the inside, you're in for a bit of a fight :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Fern

Needle nose vice grip might have a good shot to clamp on the inside nut. I like the impact idea on the screw.

72and86

Quote from: Racer57 on September 29, 2023, 01:23:21 PM

Yeah, first thing I tried. Didn't work.

72and86

Quote from: 71GranCoupe on September 29, 2023, 01:47:20 PM
Possibly put some small drops of kroil oil on the heads of the screws and let it work its way down to the threads of the inserts. Be sparingly so as not to get on the paint. Then if you are a contortionist, have the window up and clamp on some vise grips then use a small Makita impact or similar and work out the screws. An old trick that works many times is to actually make a small righten motion with the impact before you go into reverse. Another possibility is to drill out the threads of the screws as you will want new fasteners no matter how you get them out.

Keep us informed on what you did and how it worked out. Good luck.

Actually before I posted: Tried the vice grips (needle nose) and didn't work. The cap or whatever is on the threads is too slippery, the screw just turned. Even if I could get the one screw, the other is hopelessly out of reach behind, no matter the window up/ down. This is how Plymouth designed this? Seriously?

72and86

Quote from: anlauto on September 29, 2023, 02:00:24 PM
Carefully drill them out ? If you can't get vice grips on the inside, you're in for a bit of a fight :alan2cents:
Actually before I posted: Tried the vice grips (needle nose) and didn't work. The cap or whatever is on the threads is too slippery, the screw just turned. Even if I could get the one screw, the other is hopelessly out of reach behind, no matter the window up/ down. This is how Plymouth designed this? Seriously?

72and86

Quote from: Fern on September 29, 2023, 03:08:21 PM
Needle nose vice grip might have a good shot to clamp on the inside nut. I like the impact idea on the screw.

71vert340

I believe the mirror screws go into a rivnut that is installed in the door skin. You may just have to drill the head off of the screw.
Terry W.

Katfish

Quote from: Racer57 on September 29, 2023, 01:23:21 PM

This has worked for me for similar issues.
A little upward pressure, small screwdriver or similar under base, while unscrewing it.

Fern

I second drilling the head off the screw.

72and86

Didn't work. That was what I tried first. One screw backed outa little-- the other nothing.

72and86

Quote from: 71vert340 on September 30, 2023, 10:08:10 AM
I believe the mirror screws go into a rivnut that is installed in the door skin. You may just have to drill the head off of the screw.
Terry W.

ahhhh...!

B5fourspeed

I probably would drill the head off the screws.I was wondering if you got a sleeve about an inch long that would fit over the head of the screw.Start with a very small drill bit and work your way up with other bits.Have someone hold the sleeve with vise grips so the drill bit will not slide off.Protect the door with a thick blanket or something else just in case the the drill slips.