Main Menu

1970 Cuda Driver's ext mirror removal?

Started by 72and86, September 29, 2023, 11:31:38 AM

Previous topic Next topic

CudaJim

I think drilling the head off the screw is the way to go at this point.  As an additional suggestion, if the screw/rivnut starts to spin when drilling and you can't hold it, you might try removing screw head material with a dremel tool with a fine/small grinder attachment on high speed, and take your time grinding, and work very carefully to not damage the mirror - the dremel would remove mirror paint or casting material very quickly.  The high speed of the dremel should prevent the screw/rivnut from spinning, the high speed works the cutting relatively fast (even on a hard screw - take your time), and the light weight of the dremel allows fine control.  Also, a drill bit can bind with the screw and/or go off center of the screw if you aren't careful - if it binds with the screw, you have new problems.  I've used a dremel more times and for more uses than I ever thought I would...  good luck!

72and86

72and86

Quote from: 71vert340 on September 30, 2023, 10:08:10 AM
I believe the mirror screws go into a rivnut that is installed in the door skin. You may just have to drill the head off of the screw.
Terry W.
Terry
I dont see any witness mark to a rivnut inside the door panel.  But your idea makes sense. I just see where the cuda logo is attached.

71vert340

Here's a photo showing the rivnut in the door panel with the mirror removed. If you don't want to take a chance on damaging the mirror base by drilling the head off the screw, then the only other way to get to it is to remove the window and track. You should be able to grab the inside of the rivnut with some needle nose vise grips. Neither choice is ideal but I don't know of any other options. Your description of the problem makes it sound like a rivnut installed unless someone was able to get a standard nut up inside - possible I guess with the window out. See photo.
Terry W.

72and86

Quote from: 71vert340 on October 03, 2023, 12:00:58 PM
  Here's a photo showing the rivnut in the door panel with the mirror removed. If you don't want to take a chance on damaging the mirror base by drilling the head off the screw, then the only other way to get to it is to remove the window and track. You should be able to grab the inside of the rivnut with some needle nose vise grips. Neither choice is ideal but I don't know of any other options. Your description of the problem makes it sound like a rivnut installed unless someone was able to get a standard nut up inside - possible I guess with the window out. See photo.
Terry W.

Hi Terry. Yeah we drilled out the screws and got what you pictured, those "rivnuts" you call them. The problem is they just spin, so we took a cut-off wheel to them. Now theres just 2 holes.

Mirror Attachment will be addressed later after the car is painted. The pic was a great help. Thx

71vert340

Just a suggestion here. You may want to consider how to remount the mirror before painting. A repair may affect the paint if you wait until then. The rivnut as I called them is short for rivet nut. They come in different thread sizes and the outside may be fluted. The old one probably enlarged the hole in the door skin as it turned (like a reamer would do). A special tool is required to install them. Any welding or doing something to make another rivet nut fit may damage a new paint job. Something to think about. Do a search for rivet nut to see the different sizes and material/types.
Terry W.

Katfish

Surprised you can't access the backside.
It's been twenty years, but I had same problem.
Got rid of the rivnuts and replaced with screw and used a nut on the backside.
Definitely didn't remove the glass, would remember that.

72and86

Quote from: Katfish on October 04, 2023, 03:18:30 AM
Surprised you can't access the backside.
It's been twenty years, but I had same problem.
Got rid of the rivnuts and replaced with screw and used a nut on the backside.
Definitely didn't remove the glass, would remember that.

I have to idea how you did it cause the front rivnut/screw is just barely accessible from behind. The other, no way.

Jay Bee

Did you remove the bottom rubber stop to get the glass to go farther down?

72and86