Main Menu

71 cuda hood hinges? different for different years?

Started by Shoooter, August 26, 2018, 09:06:33 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Shoooter

Hello everyone.  My friend and I both have 71 cuda 340 cars. his is a Jan build and mine is June. Our hood hinges are different though. one set has the spring and a lever on it and one has a gear setup in it?? Is there a difference? or maybe one came off of a different car from a different plant? Just trying to figure out what is correct

Cuda Cody

Yes, there are 3 or 4 different hood hinges.  In 1970 they used a smaller bolt (I think it was a 5/16") on the hood to hood hinge and a smaller "top bar" that bolted the hood hinge to the hood.  Those also had the "gears" or teeth in the hood hinge.  If I recall correctly, in 1971 they went to a larger "top bar" and a larger bold, I think it was a 3/8".  They kept the gear or teeth style in 1971.  Later on (I think around 1972) they came up with a non gear (teeth) style hood hinge still with the larger top bar and 3/8" bolt.  Those are the 3 that I can think of right now.

Shoooter

thanks Cody.  That makes sense. since one ofthe cars is a late June build it could have gotten the non gear style hinge I assume?