Main Menu

Adding 71-72 Bumper Guards to 1973 'Cuda

Started by 72and86, October 22, 2017, 07:33:19 AM

Previous topic Next topic

72and86

Hi guys. I have a 73 'Cuda and just recently removed the 2 bigger ugly bumper guards from the rear.
What parts do I need to make my 73 rear bumper guards look like the earlier years like the 71-72?
Thank you in advance. Steve

Chryco Psycho

I would use the 72 bumper mounts & move the bumper in flush , I think you need a different bumper to use the small bumper guards used in 70 -71

nsmall

I just finished this modification.

You will need 70-72 rear bumper brackets.

70-72 rear bumper

70-72 rear bumper guard brackets

70-72 rear bumper guards

70-72 plastic bumper guard filler

I'll help you with this in any way as it's pretty simple and it's my favorite modification yet.

I could be wrong on saying 1972 but I think 70-72 have the same everything.

Neil

nsmall

Are you doing the front too?  If so let me know.

You can modify the rear bumper brackets but it's going to be a total pain in your butt.  But then you won't have to buy a new bumper or rear bumper brackets but you'll still have to buy the 70-72 bumper guards/hardware.

72and86

Quote from: nsmall on October 22, 2017, 03:31:02 PM
Are you doing the front too?  If so let me know.

You can modify the rear bumper brackets but it's going to be a total pain in your butt.  But then you won't have to buy a new bumper or rear bumper brackets but you'll still have to buy the 70-72 bumper guards/hardware.

The front is void of the bumper guards when I got it.
Im a little confused about the rear. It has a aftermarket bumper on it thats very close to the tail end so Im wondering if it's NOT a 73-74 bumper. How far away was the rear bumper in 73? But it did have the large bumper guards on it which I removed.

Chryco Psycho

The bumper was flush 70-72 , in 73 they used a plastic filler piece between the bumper & body that was a little wider than 1"
maybe someone already moved the bumper in but retained the larger bumper guards  :notsure:
I have posted pix of both  the 72 has chrome bumperettes
the 74 you can see the extra filler strip 

Chryco Psycho

Sorry I thought you said Chall , the Cuda has a similar filler panel as in this picture

nsmall

Chryco Psycho

nsmall

Yes Chryco Psycho, those look like 74 guards.  As for the current question being posed by @72and86 I'm curious what the current rear bumper looks like on his/her 73 Cuda.

Chryco Psycho

the 73 Guard was different & bit smaller & in 74 they added a second bumper behind the chrome one as well as the requirement changed in 73-74 , the 73 is easier to modify than the 74 as they had a massive beam behind the rear bumper instead of the earlier mounts

Chryco Psycho

try this
The black one above is also a 74 Cuda , there were so few of these built & very few still stock it is difficult to find a decent picture of the 74 , I think they used the same bumper bracket but with a molded rubber block approx 3x as big in 74  !

72and86

Here is my 1973. Im the OP.
You can't see it too well, but theres a strip that goes across the bottom (above the bumper). I painted it black. This must be what you guys are referring to?

So If I understand correctly, to get the 1970-72 rear bumper guard look, I must remove the strip on my 73 and replace with a pre 1973 rear bumper before the 70-72 b-guards will fit correctly?  :notsure:

Chryco Psycho

The bumper may be usable but you need to move the bumper in with different mounts or modify yours & use the 70 72 bumoerettes

Chryco Psycho

these are the needed parts