Main Menu

AMD (Auto Metal Direct) Installation Center

Started by Car-nutt, March 30, 2017, 11:52:15 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Car-nutt

Hello everyone, has anyone used AMD (Auto Metal Direct) installation center? I have received a quote from them and its pretty good. I just wanted to know if anyone has seen there work (quality, fit & finish). If anyone has pic's that would be awesome.

anlauto

I've heard good things about them on TV....so it must be true :).

Where are you located ? Ontario Canada ? Ontario California ?
Shipping could be a concern.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Cuda Cody

The first time I even heard they had an installation center was on Graveyard Carz.  It makes sense that they would have an installation center.  What kind of work and price have they quoted you?  There's a lot of guys on here that do their metal work and might be able to give you an idea how it compares.

The one thing I like about having someone like AMD do the work is they have a good reputation and would not want to ruin that.  The only down side is they are not painting it, right?  Metal work can be fairly easy, but if it's done right it can also make painting the car a lot easier too.  We've all heard horror stories about body shops and people getting ripped off.  I doubt AMD is going to rip you off.

How far do you have to ship it?

HP_Cuda

I have heard nothing but good things about the AMD metal installation guys.

Makes sense they do a good job and it helps them sell more AMD metal.

Win win.
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

Car-nutt

There quote is in line with the industry, the good thing about dealing with them directly is that they give you a 15% discount on all parts. I am from Ontario Canada; I do have a body shop that I regularly deal with. The quote I received is just about the same here (Ontario) then AMD.  I have done my homework; I will have to get a Repair Bond from Canadian Customs allowing the car to be worked on in the US.

anlauto

Well, sounds interesting...if you follow though, keep us posted.....
There are some pretty capable metal guys in my area of Ontario....but if it's the same price AFTER factoring the 36% exchange rate.....

Do you know if you'll have to pay tax on the work performed when returning the car back to Canada ? I would assume that's another 13% HST or at least 5% GST.... :thinking:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

RUNCHARGER

Hmm: You would save shipping charges on all the individual pieces and they do it in a Jig. That could all be beneficial.
Sheldon

Cuda Cody

I'm curious to hear how it goes too.  Let us know what you decide.    :popcorn:

Challenger in NC

I had my car done there last year, they did a great job and Craig is very good to work with. They work on all makes but their shop had mostly mopars in it when I visited.

303 Mopar

I subscribe to the AMD YouTube channel.  They have some great videos and seem like they are meticulous with the fine details.  As @Cuda Cody mentioned, AMD did a complete panel replacement on the GYC "Phantom Cuda" that was all but gone. 

anlauto

I wonder how they are at fabricating panels they don't manufacture ? :thinking:

Car-nutt

I am going to be talking to Craig this morning, I will ask.
Any parts in particular that have to ask.

rhamson

When I found out my frame was bent on my Challenger I talked with Craig. Their price sounded reasonable but I doubted the car needed to have the frame member replaced. They do not do frame straightening and theor reason was that you cannot straighten a unibody car frame. That put me in a quandary as virtually all new cars are unibody construction and they are repaired every day. I chose to get the frame straightened and save myself the 6 month wait and expense. If I had a very rusted car I wanted to save some time and money on I would still go to them. They jig assemble every piece is why.

RUNCHARGER

They seem to have a decent sized spot welder, I think that is a necessity if you are restoring a car properly.
Sheldon

Cuda Cody

Pretty cool video!!!  :banana:

Quote from: 303 Mopar on March 31, 2017, 05:33:51 AM
I subscribe to the AMD YouTube channel.  They have some great videos and seem like they are meticulous with the fine details.  As @Cuda Cody mentioned, AMD did a complete panel replacement on the GYC "Phantom Cuda" that was all but gone.