Main Menu

AMD Installation Center/ Auto Metal Direct

Started by Chaos-N-Mayhem, July 18, 2017, 04:59:16 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Car-nutt

I have spoken to Craig a number of times, very easy to deal with. My 1970 AAR is booked in for late October. I will take pictures of the whole restoration, I am planning on a "nut & bolt" restoration.

Chaos-N-Mayhem

Hey all. Hope all is well. Sorry for the long delay. I previously spent significant time creating the final post on this tread and when I went to hit post the entire computer locked up. All my work was lost and it took over 2 weeks to get the computer back. I was bummed and didn't have the moral fortitude to get right back on it. My apologies it took so long, however, I promised transparency on my experience with the costs for the group and wanted to make sure I delivered what I said to my supportive online friends. In the future, I have learned the Save as Draft button is your friend. lol.

Cuda Cody

Can't wait to hear how things are going.   :)

Chaos-N-Mayhem

To continue where I left off, I had dropped the car off with Craig and the AMD Installation Center team in early November, before the snows, even though my expected start time wasn't till the beginning of the year. A week or so later Craig contacted me to let me know the fenders and another part were back ordered and would not be available till the end of January. Doing my own due diligence, I called Auto Metal Direct myself and confirmed this just in case they were somehow available to me so I could help move things along. But they weren't. He also advised he received my convertible parts from Ken H and he would shoot me some pics. Unfortunately, I didn't get those photo's and wonder if he may have gotten sidetracked or forgot he mentioned them.

I didn't want to be an annoying client, but did try to make sure every several weeks to reach back out to him. Around the beginning of February, I e-mailed Craig to check on the status. He advised he had been out of town filming and returned sick. He said that since the airing for the Graveyard Carz Phantom Cuda episode, they had been hit with a ton of e-bodies needing work. Most cars are done in about 30 days, but they only have one e-body jig table currently to work from. He was having to contact clients to let them know of the change in scheduling but said mine would be next in line. They typically do 5-6 challenger and cudas a year and had 10 in line currently. but he will be building another jig table to help address this.

I followed up the beginning of March and was told Craig was out of the office. I believe he was working on the Graveyard Carz big reveal episode for the Phantom Cuda. He returned the following week and let me know mine was next up on the jig. I told him this was fine as I was worried it would be finished during the snow and rainy season and I would have a tough time picking it up.

The middle of April Craig contacts me and lets me know my car will be put on the table on Monday. I anxiously waiting all weekend paranoid as it was finally the moment of truth. I was mainly nervous because I am not a rich man and always feared I would be getting contacted with more requests for money or giant unexpected bills. I dreaded the day, but it was here. Time to face the music...

Chaos-N-Mayhem

Monday/Tuesday rolls around and I get a follow up e-mail with some photos. Car is up on the jig, but they have identified a few areas needing additional work. Oh no, here we go (I was thinking)  :barf:  But it wasn't as bad as I had thought. Craig gave me some detailed shots and I followed up with him to discuss. He had concerns regarding the shock tower brace, torque box and leaf spring area. These were mainly places we could not easily see as they were either sandwiched in between other parts or the dolly. After talking with him, I agreed they needed replacement, however, I did ask if they could try to save the original torque boxes as I was not confident in the aftermarket ones. He said they would try. The additions accounted for an additional grand or so (parts n labor).

Chaos-N-Mayhem

Also the crossmember, which looked fine other than the same tab on the inside. Craig said now would be the time to replace it considering the volume of the car already being replaced.

Chaos-N-Mayhem

Craig also mentioned the trunk gutter area on the back deck tray needing work. However I reminded him that the odds and ends rust repair was included into out original estimate. He replied that he remembered and thanked me for staying well organized.

Chaos-N-Mayhem

The convertible wheel cap area also needed that additional odds and end rust repair that we initially talked about. Sure helped to have had the car completely stripped and taken down there for them to see and quote in person.

Chaos-N-Mayhem

Going with our rust repair theme, Craig sent these. I thought the last shot was pretty crazy, but the car is getting a lot of needed work.

Chaos-N-Mayhem

Two weeks in and I get some more photos updating me on the progress. The status updates are usually pretty brief. But car is on the upswing!

Cuda Cody

Craig is building a great reputation.  Good follow up skills and photos along with taking the time to explain everything can go a long way in an effort to make customers happy.  Looks like it's being done to a very high level of repair.  Most likely will be better then new when everything is done.

Chaos-N-Mayhem

The second week of June I get an e-mail asking me about the trunk lid for the car as Craig didn't see it written up and I did not supply one. I replied that it was my understanding it was included in the parts needed and was in several of the pics of my car at the shop.

He wrote back that the spreadsheet did not have it on there and the trunk lid in the pics was just for the mock up. I quickly checked my own paperwork and e-mail and found I was indeed wrong. We had just about every other "trunk" part but that one listed. So I must have just missed it or I deleted by accident. He was going to need that part when he lines up the sheet metal.

Chaos-N-Mayhem

Subsequently Craig lets me know the progress and we agree to shoot for a July 4th week pick. I get additional pics showing Craig working on the weekend rebuilding my door hinges and lining up sheet metal.

Chaos-N-Mayhem

Sorry some of these shots are out of order.

Chaos-N-Mayhem

Header panel being repaired. More on that later.