Main Menu

72-74 front clip - lots of questions -Update

Started by blown motor, March 15, 2018, 10:16:45 AM

Previous topic Next topic

blown motor

With some help from Jimynick earlier this week I got everything taken apart. Of course three of the 12 screws holding the headlight buckets twisted off. Pic 1. I have all the parts cleaned up and am left with dealing with these three rascal. I centre punched one and tried to drill it out but of course the drill sidetracked. Pic 2. How do I deal with these?
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

anlauto

least now you have someone to blame it on...
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Burdar

If you have one of those spring loaded center punches, it would be easy to move the punch mark back into the proper place.  Then you could start drilling again.  Start drilling at an angle toward where you want the hole.  Then once the hole is started, you can move the drill upright.

RUNCHARGER

I don't know if you have a welder but I would weld a raised nub in the middle and then a nut to that and turn it out. The heat from the welder will help loosen it up too. Worst case you may have to butcher it a bit and build it up with fibreglass.
Sheldon

Burdar

How much heat can the surrounding fiberglass take?

If you can get a hole in it...even if it isn't centered, you can try and easy out.

blown motor

Quote from: Burdar on March 26, 2018, 01:15:48 PM
How much heat can the surrounding fiberglass take?

I was wondering the same thing.  :thinking:

jimynick

Boy, I'll be glad when planting season rolls around!  :)) OK, so you're really serious about this, eh? The welder thing is one way to go and, as mentioned, even if it does scorch the hole, you just drill it over and fill with the old Tigerhair. OR, since you like a "challenge", pun intended, you could use a small- say 1/4" socket as a backer where the tip poked out and take a fine pin punch and a BFH and see about driving the nub clear through and then see the previous Tigerhair remedy. OR, you just carry on drilling that crooked hole and put another screw in the hole that no one will ever see again. Mitchell boys with too much time on their hands! Sheesh.  ;)
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

blown motor

I wonder if I could set a small nut over the exposed end on the back side, weld it and bring the screw all the way through.  :notsure: