Main Menu

At what point would you need a frame jig?

Started by Gizmo327, September 26, 2019, 08:46:11 AM

Previous topic Next topic

jimynick

May one enquire what it is that you're planning to do to this car, that you feel a jig is required?  :huh:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

gzig5

Quote from: cuda hunter on October 02, 2019, 07:10:26 AM
I have a jig.  I have not used it yet but have one.
I can get some pictures if someone needs a pic of a home made jig. 

It has been used on several known restorations.

Yes, pics please.  I'm going to have to repair passenger side rocker and the door jamb pillar this winter.  I feel that in order to do that correctly I need to drop the engine/trans/K-member and get the body on a jig of some sort and brace it.  I'm interested in what size material is required to give the needed stiffness, depending on the design, of course.

cuda hunter

"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

70 Challenger Lover

I have a car that is so badly rusted it probably should have been crushed. On the front end, I set the shell on long thick metal U channels resting on stands. Once the car was shimmed out perfectly, I found it very helpful to make all frame measurements. Once the front end was done, including rails, shock towers, upper and lower cowl, etc,  I put it all together and everything lined up super nice. So the jury rig method did work out just fine for me.

I was going to use the same method on the back half for quarters, trunk, etc. but I took a detour to finish my RT so I could get it out of my way. Now that I am about to have lots of room, I have decided to build my own rack for the back as well as for future metal restoration needs. I probably wouldn't bother if it was just this one car but I do enjoy the metal work and likely will build cars well into my retirement years so the rack will probably come in super handy for me.

I wasn't able to open the AMD site so not sure what they use. I found a nice rack online and using it as a basic guide, I have designed a number of changes into it to provide for lots of adjustability and for breakdown and storage. It would be heavy enough to use it for pulls if I wanted but I doubt I'd do that unless it was just minor pulls. What I really want is just a rock solid rack I can set the shell on and then use as a base for precise frame measurements as I put new pieces back on.

This is the rack I found online. I just started building some of the little pieces the other day and I'll make a full post once it's complete and has a shell on it. Basically, I like this one but I want to add side to side adjustability as well as front to back adjustability on all frame resting points. Mine will have heavy duty casters but I am also going to add threaded rods I can screw down to lift the wheels off the ground and of course to make it perfectly level.

cuda hunter

Here is what I have.   It's at the sand blasting shop right now. 
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

gzig5

Wow, that is pretty simple.  But I guess as long as the load is supported directly under the uprights like that, it won't flex.  Looks like it is picking up on the two X locations and the top of the over axle bend?

Where would I be able to support it if I'm putting in one of those Dynacorn sub assemblies that go from the rear seat pan to the tail panel?
https://www.rosevillemoparts.com/product/trunk_-underseat-floor-and-rear-frame-assembly-70-74-challenger/

cuda hunter

Good question.  I'm going to have to figure that out as I'm replacing the rear section. 
I'm assuming that the two X locations will support the car since there won't be anything else back there until I put the pan in place on the cups. 

JS29

Most frame and unibody shops use the pinch weld area on the bottom of the rocker panel. They make clamps to secure it. I have them that use pipes and jack stands made for that per pus  :alan2cents:

Brads70

Quote from: JS29 on October 21, 2019, 04:20:31 AM
Most frame and unibody shops use the pinch weld area on the bottom of the rocker panel. They make clamps to secure it. I have them that use pipes and jack stands made for that per pus  :alan2cents:

That's what we used on Mikes cars ( pinch weld area) It clamps very solid to the pinch weld area , then again to the table.

gzig5

Quote from: JS29 on October 21, 2019, 04:20:31 AM

Thanks for verifying.  After I entered the question, the pinch weld under the rocker became obvious. I think I might need something a little longer than Cuda Hunter's?
I found a pair of 4" x 96" long pallet rack beams that are rated for 4500+lbs that would make a nice starting point for the Jig. 
https://milwaukee.craigslist.org/tls/d/hartford-pair-of-96-pallet-racking/6985009982.html

Think it would need to be longer than 96" to be able to support the front rails at the K frame?  It can't be any longer than the car and fit in the space I'm working.  96" is 8 feet (for those of you using the metric system  :smile:) and that seems short.  Car has about a 10' wheelbase and I think I'd want it a foot past on each end so I can get to the K-frame area, so 12' overall?  I can always add extensions.  The yellow one shown a few back is too big, but I can model off of it.

Don't want to sidetrack this thread too much.  If I need to start a separate discussion on jig design, let me know.

cuda hunter

JS29

@gzig5  @cuda hunter Look at the picture of the camps from brads post. When making a pull it's held at four points. You are only going to support your car, those same four points are all that is needed. I don't have a dedicated bench, I have four clamps two heavy pipes and heavy jack stands that have islets or holes that the pipe slides through.