Main Menu

B5 question

Started by A.Gramz, January 13, 2019, 08:22:59 AM

Previous topic Next topic

A.Gramz

What one of these two is closer to b5. 

JH27N0B

First off, what year car are you painting?  B5 changed several times over the years.  Iirc 71 was a new formulation, so for example, 71 B5 isn't the same shade as '70.
Secondly, it's hard to make much judgement on a paint sample from a picture due to lighting, PC resolution etc.
It can be a tough job trying to get a color shade right when painting a car.  I've had several people come up to me at shows over the years checking out my FK5 Challenger, with paint samples, hoping to compare their samples to original FK5 cars.  Mine was repainted, so not much help there.  Though my firewall is still original so maybe they did get some idea from looking at that.

A.Gramz

Well you guys no your stuff.  Paint code is 2019. On the gal they gave me.  I ordered the sample from one person. But when I order the gal she was off sick.  So I guess it's getting painted 70 b5.

A.Gramz

I really get what you mean about pictures.  This one looks completely different shade. After a little over 3 years I'm not as excited about paint going on as I thought I would be.

anlauto

Yup B5 changed almost every year it was available.  :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

70 Challenger Lover

Only a handful of people could ever spot the difference on a painted car. I'd go with the one you personally prefer and never look back.

My 70 Bee was painted Go Mango but my painter couldn't find the code back then so we settled on a Ford color from the late 90s and it looked great. I took it to lots of Mopar shows and no one ever really noticed until after I told them.

My 64 Vette was originally silver blue. I had the correct code and picked up a small sample of it plus a couple similar colors from later model cars of different makes. After painting out some samples, everyone I surveyed unanimously choose a Buick color including me. The car looks great, everyone loves the color and not one person has ever noticed that it's a little brighter than original.

Chryco Psycho

EB5 , The E was code for 69/70 ,
GB5 the G code was 71
the 2 colors were very different

Morty426

Quote from: JH27N0B on January 13, 2019, 08:43:52 AM
First off, what year car are you painting?  B5 changed several times over the years.  Iirc 71 was a new formulation, so for example, 71 B5 isn't the same shade as '70.
Secondly, it's hard to make much judgement on a paint sample from a picture due to lighting, PC resolution etc.
It can be a tough job trying to get a color shade right when painting a car.  I've had several people come up to me at shows over the years checking out my FK5 Challenger, with paint samples, hoping to compare their samples to original FK5 cars.  Mine was repainted, so not much help there.  Though my firewall is still original so maybe they did get some idea from looking at that.

I have an original paint FK5 car if someone needs a reference.