Main Menu

Back glass reveal moldings

Started by Mrbill426, April 30, 2022, 11:22:15 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Mrbill426

With regards to the back glass reveal moldings are they chrome or anodized aluminum? I am trying to figure the best way to (at home) clean and polish them out.

:wrenching:

headejm

Chrome. Watch Cody's video in the Resources section. Excellent video for restoring trim.  :perfect10:

Mrbill426

@headejm thanks!  I have to work on all of the trim.  Looks like the deck lid and belt line moldings are aluminum which is another matter.  I'd replace the deck lid moldings but from what I have read the replacement ones don't fit worth a damn, as with the (Cuda) wheel opening moldings.  ::)

Quote from: headejm on April 30, 2022, 11:30:43 AM
Chrome. Watch Cody's video in the Resources section. Excellent video for restoring trim.  :perfect10:

headejm

The SS chrome trim on our cars is very tough. You can beat out the dents, sand them with progressive grits of sand paper, and polish them to look like new.

The aluminum trim not so much. Not a lot you can do with bad aluminum trim but some lessor damaged ones can be brought back to close to new looking.

On my 1970 Challenger, the belt line trim is SS Chrome. The aluminum trim on my car is the front edge of the hood, deck lid, wheel opening, and front valance.

I bought new wheel opening trim from Roseville and they fit pretty nicely. Ask them about the aluminum trim pieces you need. They are straight shooters and will tell you if they will fit okay or not.

Mrbill426

Well from what I have been told by some folks, including vendors, is that the Challenger wheel lip molding fit ok but the Cuda ones do not follow the opening angles correctly; how hard can it be to tool one right and the other wrong?  :dunno:  I have a friend with a 70 Cuda and his aftermarkets leave a gap between the molding and the fender down towards the bottom.  For what they charge for those things it look goofy...  Been a while so maybe they have fixed the problem.

Quote from: headejm on April 30, 2022, 12:13:45 PM
The SS chrome trim on our cars is very tough. You can beat out the dents, sand them with progressive grits of sand paper, and polish them to look like new.

The aluminum trim not so much. Not a lot you can do with bad aluminum trim but some lessor damaged ones can be brought back to close to new looking.

On my 1970 Challenger, the belt line trim is SS Chrome. The aluminum trim on my car is the front edge of the hood, deck lid, wheel opening, and front valance.

I bought new wheel opening trim from Roseville and they fit pretty nicely. Ask them about the aluminum trim pieces you need. They are straight shooters and will tell you if they will fit okay or not.

B5fourspeed

I used the new AMD Cuda wheel well molding.Fit was a 9 out 10.To make all 4 a 10 took me about 20 minutes.I did not cut 1 of them.I couldn't believe how nice they look and fit.