Main Menu

Body Line Panel Allignment

Started by CudaMartin, January 20, 2020, 08:03:23 AM

Previous topic Next topic

jimynick

Quote from: CudaMartin on January 29, 2020, 05:40:42 AM
Quote from: tparker on January 22, 2020, 12:49:11 PM
Mine isn't straight. LOL. Honestly, I am not sure the build quality of any of these cars was perfect. There is over spray, bad welds, and lots of other anomalies. So I think getting perfection is not what came out of the factory. Probably heresy. LOL.

Yes build quality was not Chrysler's thing in thei 70s.  I definitely found some super sloppy welds while removing rusty panels.  Close enough and eye ball straight is what I'm going for.  Good feedback though.
There you, a breath of sanity at last. Don't get me wrong, I believe in getting the best fit possible with what you've got, but I'm NOT going to spend days, edge-welding rod onto panels to achieve that Audi fit, either. As Alan mentioned too, try driving one of these cars in non-supported condition and see what your panel edges and fits look like after a couple thousand miles in the real world. Anyways, have fun, that's what really counts!
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

soundcontrol

Smart thing to use a laser!
I guess it could work on a Challenger also, if you measured the bodyline offset at a bunch of points
to the straight laser line. I might try that to the get the 2 sides the same.