Main Menu

Flip Top gas cap question

Started by Yeya93, March 08, 2021, 04:31:25 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Yeya93

Hello everyone. I'm in the process of fitting my repro flip top gas cap on my 70 Challenger. But before i make further modifications, i wanted to ask if this opening pointed with the red arrow is supposed to be there? I'm using AMD quarter panel and repro gas cap. Also, if anyone else can share pictures of theres installed, that would be lovely! Thanks.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

headejm

Not sure if it's supposed to be there but my cap assembly has the same opening. In 40 years I've never noticed that.  :drunk:

Yeya93

Thank you @headejm ! I really appreciate it. I didn't wanna do anything that isn't necessary thinking that something was initially wrong. It looks like mine is a bit more open as far as gap, but i wouldn't think otherwise since it is aftermarket.

MoparLeo

You are missing the top collar on the filler tube. It attaches the tube to the fender and has nothing to do with the "cap. The flip top is not really a cap is is only the cap cover. The reproduction cap cover is an exact duplicate of the original as far as shape.Your picture looks like you attached the trim ring and cap cover to an empty fender. No gas tube attached.  Could be wrong, thats what it looks like though.
moparleo@hotmail.com  For professionally rebuilt door hinges...

Yeya93

@MoparLeo yes you are correct. No filler tube was attached. I had it sitting in the trunk, but just wanted to make sure that the gap was a norm before i did something stupid by trying to fill it in somehow. Thank you, now I feel comfortable with proceeding