Main Menu

Hood hinges not closing

Started by mike price, April 21, 2021, 03:59:23 PM

Previous topic Next topic

mike price

I have new hinges and springs for my 70 barracuda from Stevens (spelling).  The guys at my body shop can NOT get the hood to lower any further than 3-4 inches -- then hinges lock up.  If they pull down more to try and lower the hood, the hinges start to bow outward.  Any thoughts on the problem and on a fix??   Thanks in Advance.  Mike Price

1972V21Cuda

Scooter

Have they tried removing the springs to see if they move freely w/o? I put a set of AMD hinges on my Challenger 1+ years back and they worked fine out of the box.

1 Wild R/T

Prop the hood up so the springs aren't supporting it.. Slip one end link of a chain over the end loop of the hood spring, grab the chain and pull, it might help to slip a bar through the chain where your trying to grab it...  The springs aren't that hard to get off when the hood is raised...

anlauto

If the hinges are not on a car, you should be able to pry the spring off fairly easy I would think :slapme5:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

1 Wild R/T

Clamp the end of the spring in the vise, then you can grad the hinge... should be pretty easy...

1972V21Cuda

Send your originals to RestoRick and junk the aftermarket stuff...

anlauto

Quote from: 1972V21Cuda on April 22, 2021, 04:40:35 PM
Send your originals to RestoRick and junk the aftermarket stuff...

Solid advice right there :twothumbsup:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

1972V21Cuda

True, his site is down at the moment.

jimynick

When you put them back in the car, start all 3 fender bolts and let the hinge settle to the bottom of it's adjustment range and snug them. Put the hood on the hinges and install those 4 bolts and snug and see what the hood does when you try to lift/close it. It'll be out of adjustment, but you're just trying to get an idea as to functionality cycling the hinges. I'll guess that you've carefully compared the new ones to the old ones as to size and configuration?  :cheers:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

anlauto

Quote from: mike price on April 22, 2021, 07:34:45 PM
Will keep trying Rick that's all I can do.  Thanks

After some looking at the B body hinges I determined that the vendor sent me hinges for a B body according to number of turns on the springs.

Will also call them tomorrow see what they say.

I doubt the reproduction hinges are that detailed, they likely use the same springs for all the applications... :alan2cents:

You're is certainly an odd problem...now that you have them moving freely on the bench without the springs attached, have you tried them on the car ?  I've used a few sets of AMD hinges and don't recall ever having this issue :huh:

tparker

Just to add a few thoughts. You easily unhook the springs. I found several videos on youtube. Not hard. You can connect a rope to one end and pull. As long as everything is secure there shouldn't be a problem. 

1972V21Cuda

Quote from: mike price on April 23, 2021, 03:28:18 PM
hi everyone

thanks for all the help, suggestions and guidance. the hood is again off the car and the hinges will be on the way to Rick tomorrow for rebuilding.

Thank you all

Mike Price

Nice👍