Main Menu

how to stop gas from overflowing at fill up

Started by Fern, December 02, 2017, 04:00:00 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Fern

So since the gas fill opening is larger than the newer cars, every time I fill up the gas will overflow before it stops. Has someone figured out how to stop this, maybe make a metal piece to place over the hole to make it smaller so it stops the gas flow sooner? 70 challenger if it matters

nsmall

Excellent question.  My Cuda does that and it drives me nuts.  I'm excited to here a solution. 

Cuda Cody

I put my ear close to the opening and listen.  I can hear when it's getting full and shut it off before any comes out the filler.  Not a perfect way, but it's worked for me.

Racer57

Excellent question !!

My cuda also does it. If its quiet enough when I fill up, I can hear enough to tell if its full. Otherwise I usually end up with about 7/8 of a tank or running over.
I suspect the only cure would be to find a fill tube thats the modern style and would be compatible.
Anyone know what year the change was made and if there's one thats compatible ?

GoodysGotaCuda

Same issue here. I used to be able to hear it well, but for some reason the newer nozzles around here make it burp every time. Drives me nuts..

Ideally it could be as simple as an insert into the filler neck that tapers down the opening to whatever the nozzle is [with some tolerance]. It'd sure slow the burp down.
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

Brads70

Quote from: Cuda Cody on December 02, 2017, 06:42:01 PM
I put my ear close to the opening and listen.  I can hear when it's getting full and shut it off before any comes out the filler.  Not a perfect way, but it's worked for me.

:iagree:  I do the same....

HP_Cuda

I was thinking of maybe a towel (quadrupled over) set under the handle. That way if it does burp it doesn't hit the Organsol Black.
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

Rich G.

For you cuda owners Griots (garage) sells a rubber flap that goes over the fillerneck so when the gas does overfill it will run pass the tail panel and over the bumper. Saves that black paint! I leave it on and just fold it up and put the license plate down. Don't know if it will help much on a challenger

303 Mopar

Quote from: Brads70 on December 02, 2017, 07:44:56 PM
Quote from: Cuda Cody on December 02, 2017, 06:42:01 PM

:iagree:  I do the same....

:iagree:  I listen too, but I also go pretty slow when filling up. I am very conservative on how much I put in at any one time.  After a while, you get use to how much to put in based on where your gauge is reading.  However, the majority of the time my car is only 7/8 or less full.

Fern

How would a stainless disc the size of the filler opening (fits in filler tube but dosent fall in hole) with a smaller hole drilled in center work?
So just drop it on and act as a reducer. remove when not in use.

RUNCHARGER

Watch the gallons too, ease off when you think you are getting close.
Sheldon

Cudamike

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on December 03, 2017, 07:49:20 AM
Watch the gallons too, ease off when you think you are getting close.
j

That's what I do.

RUNCHARGER

I didn't have much trouble with Challengers but the Cuda was a pain to gas up.
Sheldon

cuda hunter

would it be possible to take a modern fuel fill tube and graft it onto the old style tube to get the correct size nozzle opening at the end of the fill tube? 
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee