Main Menu

Lower Windshield Trim Restoration Question

Started by 7E-Bodies, August 28, 2024, 07:34:49 AM

Previous topic Next topic

7E-Bodies

I have two lower windshield trim pieces. One better than the other. Before I start trying to polish and work out scratches, looking for advice before I wind up doing more damage than good. I dusted and cleaned the better one. The dusty one is original to the car, but has deeper scratches where a failed wiper blade has obviously left its scar. Any advice appreciated.
1970 Challenger R/T Numbers Matching 440 Auto in F8 Quad Green

nonfish

The lower one in your picture looks to me to be the wider B-body one. E-body pieces are narrower.
Buffing out the deep wiper are scratches are almost impossible.

7E-Bodies

Quote from: nonfish on August 28, 2024, 07:58:35 AMThe lower one in your picture looks to me to be the wider B-body one. E-body pieces are narrower.
Buffing out the deep wiper are scratches are almost impossible.

Both pieces are identical

7E-Bodies

Basically looking for anyone that has restored one of these ****or**** sent one to a reputable restoration place.

Brads70

I buffed mine up and the rest of the stainless as well. Never done it before, came out real nice I thought. Not to tough just tedious. Borrowed polishing kit for a friend. Something like this...  https://www.amazon.ca/BLACKCUBE-Polisher-Buffering-Polishing-Sharpening/dp/B0BY2G4GY2?th=1

I also had deep scratches for the wipers, came out great, started with 300 grit paper them polishing wheels....

Deezel

This video might help out some, if you decide to try it yourself. It doesn't look too difficult to do and I'm going to try it myself, once I get moved into the new shop. I ended up buying a Vevor 8" bench buffer. It's nothing fancy and after trying it out on some different pieces, I know it will work just fine for polishing my stainless trim.

Lonnie
1973 'cuda

Brads70

Quote from: Deezel on August 29, 2024, 04:44:48 PMThis video might help out some, if you decide to try it yourself. It doesn't look too difficult to do and I'm going to try it myself, once I get moved into the new shop. I ended up buying a Vevor 8" bench buffer. It's nothing fancy and after trying it out on some different pieces, I know it will work just fine for polishing my stainless trim.

That looks like the exact one I used. :bradsthumb:

7E-Bodies

@Deezel @Brads70 yeah, I had seen that video. It's great. @Cuda Cody makes some great instructional shows, yet as I remember, most of the pieces he was demonstrating were the anodized aluminum trim (as I think it's called) and this piece seems to be like a polished stainless steel, but I'm guessing. I'm basically wondering if buffing it could burn it or fine grit sanding the scratches could leave permanent damage. I think I'll try the back side of it as it's seemingly the same as the front. I have a small high speed hand held rotary tool with buffing wheels that may help with the finesse aspect. We shall see.

Brads70

Quote from: 7E-Bodies on August 29, 2024, 07:18:00 PM@Deezel @Brads70 yeah, I had seen that video. It's great. @Cuda Cody makes some great instructional shows, yet as I remember, most of the pieces he was demonstrating were the anodized aluminum trim (as I think it's called) and this piece seems to be like a polished stainless steel, but I'm guessing. I'm basically wondering if buffing it could burn it or fine grit sanding the scratches could leave permanent damage. I think I'll try the back side of it as it's seemingly the same as the front. I have a small high speed hand held rotary tool with buffing wheels that may help with the finesse aspect. We shall see.
Stainless is pretty tough, I did all the windshield trim with no issues. You won't burn it using polishing equipment mentioned.

RUNCHARGER

Polishing is easy and fulfilling, just messy is all. As stated, you'll have to sand those wiper marks out and go to finer paper before buffing. Depending on how deep the marks are you might just make it better looking or you might get them totally out. In the photos they look totally fixable from this side of the computer screen.
Sheldon