Main Menu

Need help with Challenger trunk lid install / adjustment

Started by Katfish, December 19, 2018, 05:43:40 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Katfish

AMD trunk lid, 70 Challenger

I started test fitting my AMD trunk lid and it doesn't fit well at all.  I have an issue with the 1 corner of the trunk, there's a 1/2" gap right at the left rear corner.  The other 3 corners of the deck are basically good.  I don't see a way to "adjust" this problem.
Am I missing something, any suggestions appreciated.

Rich G.

If the old lid fit right you'll have to do some bending. Your going to have to see where it's off. If you hold it down on the tail panel does it sit flat all the way across the bottom? If the corner is just up you might be able to put a piece of wood on the trunk gutter by the bend and tweak it a bit if it only off a little. I built a Cuda and a Challenger and for some crazy reason I've only had problems with the AMD challenger parts. Good luck

70 Challenger Lover

Quote from: Rich G. on December 19, 2018, 06:35:59 PM
If the old lid fit right you'll have to do some bending. Your going to have to see where it's off. If you hold it down on the tail panel does it sit flat all the way across the bottom? If the corner is just up you might be able to put a piece of wood on the trunk gutter by the bend and tweak it a bit if it only off a little. I built a Cuda and a Challenger and for some crazy reason I've only had problems with the AMD challenger parts. Good luck

I know everyone swears by AMD but I have used all sorts of metal by all the suppliers and AMD is the only one that required a lot of my time fitting. Hopefully there is something simple going on here. I agree though that if the old one fit nicely that it could be more the new part than anything else.

jimynick

Check it out , as Rich has suggested and if you need to, you remove the trunk latch and put a piece of 2X4 under the centre of the lid and get a good sized buddy to lean on the opposite end and you give it a few pushes down on the raised end. Take your time and check after each push and see how it's going. It'll bend, just make sure the "pivot" pin is wide enough to diffuse the pressure without bending the lower trunk panel. Crude, but effective.  :cheers:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

Katfish

I appreciate the responses and was worried that was what I'd hear. 
My problem is only this 1 corner is out of whack.  The underside bracing is over 1" thick, I don't see a way to bend it down 1/2".  To compound the problem it's a complex bend right at the corner where the deck curves down. So it would need to bend 1/2" down , maintaining the curve, over just a 4-5" section.

Stock trunk fit perfectly.

RUNCHARGER

I was considering that inner strength as well. Care has to be taken to make sure that inner frame gets adjusted and you don't just warp the outer metal. Jimmynick is a pro though so his advice is good.
Sheldon

70 Challenger Lover

Quote from: Katfish on December 20, 2018, 07:06:03 AM
I appreciate the responses and was worried that was what I'd hear. 
My problem is only this 1 corner is out of whack.  The underside bracing is over 1" thick, I don't see a way to bend it down 1/2".  To compound the problem it's a complex bend right at the corner where the deck curves down. So it would need to bend 1/2" down , maintaining the curve, over just a 4-5" section.

Stock trunk fit perfectly.

You might be surprised. I had a car door like this once and an old body shop friend of mine showed me that trick. The door had been aligned as good as it was going to get but a new quarter was put on slightly out of whack causing the bottom edge to stick out 1/2" more than it should. Worse yet, the shop painted the car without ever checking fit so this is what I got back and it became my problem.

It was nauseating to watch but my friend placed a 2x4 wrapped in a towel at the top of the jamb while he put tons of pressure at the bottom edge. To my surprise it worked perfectly and he didn't cause any damage to the paint. If he could do it to a door, don't see why it wouldn't work on a trunk lid. I bet it wouldn't take to much force to get it into place.

rhamson

Quote from: jimynick on December 19, 2018, 08:38:28 PM
Check it out , as Rich has suggested and if you need to, you remove the trunk latch and put a piece of 2X4 under the centre of the lid and get a good sized buddy to lean on the opposite end and you give it a few pushes down on the raised end. Take your time and check after each push and see how it's going. It'll bend, just make sure the "pivot" pin is wide enough to diffuse the pressure without bending the lower trunk panel. Crude, but effective.  :cheers:
:iagree: The next question is what are you going to do with the gaps. I also have an AMD trunk lid but the gaps were horrendous. I have added metal on the edges to gain a 3/16" gap around evenly.

JS29

It will take some engineering, But what have you got to loose. can't use it like that! It's kind of like working a dent, start out from the far end from were it's off and work your way to the end.   :alan2cents:

Katfish

What have I got to lose?  $400!

It's one thing if there all like this, but if it's defective I'd like to get something better.

IRON MAN

AMD's policy: All AMD parts are guaranteed to be free from defects in material and workmanship. Call AMD customer service and explain the poor fit. Forward pictures of the misfit. AMD may send another one free of charge depending on their "Good Will Policy."  Question are: How long ago did you receive the hood? And, has the rear driver quarter panel ever been replaced ?

Katfish

Only had it a month and just got around to fitting with travel for work and the holidays.
I'll send @MoparDave a pm

JS29

Quote from: Katfish on December 20, 2018, 09:35:33 AM
What have I got to lose?  $400!

It's one thing if there all like this, but if it's defective I'd like to get something better.
Did not know it was a resent perches, good To see you may have other options. 

MoparDave

before you start manipulation of that decklid. send me pics all 4 corners. the right side in the one picture looks like it is up also. which is not what your saying. if the right upper corner at the hinge is low that will make that corner high.

parts@mikeriehls.com  so I can forward them onto AMD for review.
Please Email me at daver@manciniracing.com or call 586-790-4100

Katfish

I used a pen to show the fit, here's the pics for reference.
I'll email them directly.