Main Menu

Opinions on 70-71 Challenger front bumper end fillers from Metro

Started by GrandpaKevin, January 23, 2018, 10:09:00 AM

Previous topic Next topic

GrandpaKevin

Thinking of adding these repop bumper end fillers from Metro to the new front bumper going on the wife's 1971 R/T Challenger.
https://www.summitracing.com/oh/parts/mmp-bg108-a/overview/

Anyone used them?
Any issues?
Do they fit good?
Any other companies making them?

Thanks for any info or advice.

anlauto

I've put them in every 70 Challenger I've restored...no issues, I got mine from David at Roseville.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

RUNCHARGER

Sheldon

Cuda Cody

cataclysm80

Does anyone reproduce the little metal bracket used on early 70 cars to hold the rubber piece in place?

It might not be difficult to make, but I don't have dimensions.

C_B5

The reproduction challenger bumper fillers will fit & function but the parts did differ from year to year.
Of course the 70 model was unique to itself and uses a different part number. To the best of my knowledge there is no one making a correct bumper filler for the 1970 model challenger.

There was a post over on Moparts about differences between the 70-71 and 71-72 challenger front bumpers that discussed the fillers. I contributed info that included photos & part numbers comparing factory original bumper fillers from each of the model years.

Here's the link to the thread to check out the info:

http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/2263807/re-70-71-71-72-front-and-rear-challenger-bumpers-the-same.html#Post2263807

anlauto

Quote from: cataclysm80 on January 23, 2018, 10:04:30 PM
Does anyone reproduce the little metal bracket used on early 70 cars to hold the rubber piece in place?

It might not be difficult to make, but I don't have dimensions.

ECS Automotive makes them :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

GrandpaKevin

Thanks for the replies and the link to the detailed pics and information on the 70-71-72 Challenger bumper differences.

Somewhere in my parts stash I have one of the original bumper end fillers for this Challenger.

I'm not sure what style bumpers originally came on this car.

It is an earlier (December) build 1971 Challenger with the 1970 style trunk floor with shock bolt access from the top.

I'll have to look at the front bumper that was previously on the car, I'm not sure if it was the original or not.

The rear bumper on the car does not have bumper jack slots and some unusual looking bumperettes but again I'm not sure if it's original.

cataclysm80

Quote from: C_B5 on January 23, 2018, 11:37:28 PM
There was a post over on Moparts about differences between the 70-71 and 71-72 challenger front bumpers that discussed the fillers. I contributed info that included photos & part numbers comparing factory original bumper fillers from each of the model years.

Here's the link to the thread to check out the info:

http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/2263807/re-70-71-71-72-front-and-rear-challenger-bumpers-the-same.html#Post2263807

Great write up!
The pics help a lot.
Thanks for taking the time to create that.