Main Menu

Painting mirrors

Started by fireguyfire, May 04, 2020, 09:27:22 PM

Previous topic Next topic

fireguyfire

In the process of painting my 73 rallye challenger, and need to prep up the painted mirrors.
The were badly overpainted once and there is a touch of overspray in a couple of spots on the mirror surface.
I was thinking that chemical stripping would be the way to go, then careful masking of the mirror surface and then primer, blocking and then colour coats.

Is this the right way to go about prepping the factory mirrors for a repaint? Anyone got any tips on painting these mirrors that gas done it before?

Chryco Psycho

The reflective surface is on top of the glass so it is very easy to scratch then mirrors so you need to be very gentile removing paint .
the only way to dismount the mirror & mount is to break the mirror glass , which you may need to do anyway , otherwise you have to carefully mask the mirror & paint around the glass as best you can .

Rich G.

I got lucky when I  did mine, I was able to get a small screwdriver and go in on an angle and remove the 2 screws that held the mirror glass in the housing. On the remote mirror I slid the cable halfway through and masked the cable up. Still a pain to paint it that way but it worked. Didn't want to try to remove the cable completely.

Shane Kelley

Quote from: Rich G. on May 05, 2020, 05:06:31 AM
I got lucky when I  did mine, I was able to get a small screwdriver and go in on an angle and remove the 2 screws that held the mirror glass in the housing. On the remote mirror I slid the cable halfway through and masked the cable up. Still a pain to paint it that way but it worked. Didn't want to try to remove the cable completely.
:iagree: They can be taken apart very carefully or if your mirror glass is scratched up they do sell replacement glass for them.

I always like to completely disassemble everything because you can get all the nook and crannies painted nicely.

fireguyfire

Thanks for the tips; I'll take a shot at disassembling mine

fireguyfire

Hey Shane; how do you go about taking apart the cables at the remote toggle so I can take the drivers mirror completely off the neck so I can paint it properly

cudamadd

Shane Kelley

Quote from: fireguyfire on May 06, 2020, 08:07:38 PM
Hey Shane; how do you go about taking apart the cables at the remote toggle so I can take the drivers mirror completely off the neck so I can paint it properly

I marked the cables and the joystick where the cables fasten with a sharpie. Put one mark on one cable and 1 on joystick where it connects. Next one gets 2 marks and so on. Carefully pry apart where the cable fastens and each one will come out. They all have to be removed from the joystick. Sounds a little hairy but it's actually pretty simple if you take your time. Once you paint and reassemble everything put the cables back in their corresponding spots and squeeze it back together. 

mopar jack

I used this screw driver when I did mine.

fireguyfire

Heated and bent a screwdriver to take my mirrors apart and it did work well.

fireguyfire

So just to confirm Shane; you are prying open where the ball on the very end of the cables are?
What tool do you use to open the crimps?

Shane Kelley

Quote from: fireguyfire on May 08, 2020, 09:06:56 PM
So just to confirm Shane; you are prying open where the ball on the very end of the cables are?
What tool do you use to open the crimps?
Correct. I used a small pocket flat blade screwdriver. It doesn't take much effort.