Main Menu

Raptorliner for the underside

Started by nsmall, July 21, 2017, 09:34:33 AM

Previous topic Next topic

nsmall

I'm having a hard time deciding if I just want to have the underside sprayed with some sort of undercoating or body color.

The car's been media blasted so I have to make a decision. It seems like both options require maintenance to look nice underneath.

So I was considering a third option which is mixing both paint and undercoating (well bed liner)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00NOIKON8/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1500654428&sr=8-4&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=upol+raptor+liner&dpPl=1&dpID=51ZLvZWLoqL&ref=plSrch

Are there any drawbacks to using this bed liner material? It's not super heavy and I don't plan to wash my car with water...I'm just going to wipe it down. I live in a desert.  I'm not doing an OEM restoration.

Any opinions?

I already reached out to @Cudalbs and @GoodysGotaCuda

Did @Brads70 use this material?

Thank you very much as I really appreciate your input.  Cada it's an important decision and I'm having a hard time deciding.

Thanks

GoodysGotaCuda

Keep in mind the bedliner also gives some sound dampening as well. It will be hard to work with if you ever go back in and modify the underside for any reason, but it's pretty good stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

nsmall

@GoodysGotaCuda

I'm also thinking I  wouldn't want this in the holes so I should put bolts in wherever I have holes on the underside?

Thanks

70cudaFun

If I had a choice of choosing between painting the underside versus Raptorliner, I would paint it.  I actually went the Raptorliner route (I used LizardSkin instead) and it turned out very nice.  However, you can't compare the look of a nicely painted underside to the look of undercoating.  There are benefits of the undercoating which did it for me like sound and heat reducing in the cabin which is what I was after.  My car also is not a OEM resto and will be something I drive long and hard.  One last benefit is the price.  It's super cost effective to spray the underside with Raptorliner or LizardSkin.

The drawbacks to using undercoating is the mess it could create if you don't tape off areas which you cannot afford to get overspray on.  For example, bottom door jams get hit hard with this stuff if you don't cover and it's VERY hard to take it off once it cures.

Since you said your car has been media blasted, I'm assuming it's bare metal at this point so without a doubt, I would paint.  I didn't dig that far into my car which is why I went the undercoat way.  I knew I was changing my suspension such as the torsion bars, leaf springs, shocks, etc so I just sprayed right over the old ones.

I'm attaching a pic of the undercoating on my car to help.  If anything, a point of reference.  Good luck and let me know if I could be of any assistance.

Cuda Cody

When I see cars that are covered in bed-liner that the owner is trying hide something.   :notsure:  In the area you live why do you feel you need bedliner under the car?  You live in one of the best places to own a car.   :alan2cents: 

70cudaFun

Quote from: Cuda Cody on July 21, 2017, 10:45:05 AM
When I see cars that are covered in bed-liner that the owner is trying hide something.   :notsure:  In the area you live why do you feel you need bedliner under the car?  You live in one of the best places to own a car.   :alan2cents:

Great point Cody.  I know your response was to the OP.  I thought of this issue as well when I was going to do it which is why I took the extra time to take as many pictures and video as possible to document the No Rust issues with my car.  Without that proof, should I ever decide to sell the car, it will be a hard sell to the prospective buyer since they will assume the owner was trying to hide something for sure. 

Definitely paint vs bedliner if I media blasted the car though...

GoodysGotaCuda

Quote from: nsmall on July 21, 2017, 10:40:37 AM
@GoodysGotaCuda

I'm also thinking I  wouldn't want this in the holes so I should put bolts in wherever I have holes on the underside?

Thanks

Silicone plug kits exist for things like this, ear plugs, etc can be used to plug holes.

Liner on the bottom can be a red flag for some people looking to buy, I suppose. I don't see it being a show stopper, it's not remarkably thick to the point it hides welds or smooths imperfections. You can still clearly see where I have worked over the floor for the trans and whatnot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

nsmall

@70cudaFun

Aren't you the new guy? I just tagged you so let me know if you need help understanding how that works.

Thanks for your thoughtful response. Thanks everyone you gave me a lot to think about, I'll talk to my painter.   :thankyou:

soundcontrol

I really don't like the look of undercoating, I'm painting my underside in a 2K satin black paint on top of my 2K epoxy. But I was considering some kind of rubbery material, maybe bedliner inside the rear wheelhouses and maybe inside the front fenders (not inner fenders, just outer). Just for protection of stones etc. that will chip the paint and start rustspots.

70cudaFun

Quote from: nsmall on July 21, 2017, 11:32:58 AM
@70cudaFun

Aren't you the new guy? I just tagged you so let me know if you need help understanding how that works.

Thanks for your thoughtful response. Thanks everyone you gave me a lot to think about, I'll talk to my painter.   :thankyou:

Yup, I'm the new guy.  I have no idea what being tagged means.  If it's a good thing, thanks!  If it's not a good thing,  :bricks:

soundcontrol

Quote from: 70cudaFun on July 21, 2017, 11:38:27 AM

Yup, I'm the new guy.  I have no idea what being tagged means.  If it's a good thing, thanks!  If it's not a good thing,  :bricks:

It's a good thing! You will get a message here (or an optional e-mail, if you choose) that you got tagged. If someone wanna get your attention.

70cudaFun

Quote from: soundcontrol on July 21, 2017, 11:43:01 AM
Quote from: 70cudaFun on July 21, 2017, 11:38:27 AM

It's a good thing! You will get a message here (or an optional e-mail, if you choose) that you got tagged. If someone wanna get your attention.

Thank you.  And here I thought I was going to get a numbers matching Hemi Cuda as a prize  :burnout:  Now that would be awesome. . .

Cuda Cody

Bedliner is extemely durable and will pretty much protect the bottom from anything that comes at it.  If you document everything really well then it's easy to proof the quality of work that was done and that you are not hiding rust.  That's true with any restoration.  Lots of photos to show the quality of work. 

ViperMan

Honestly, knowing what I know about what it takes to fix rust on a car (especially UNDER a car) - I wouldn't hesitate to put bed-liner under there if it meant basically being impervious to rust for decades to come...  That was always something I planned to do were I ever to restore a car from bare metal like that.  I stripped down a car once that had rubberized undercoat and oh my LORD was that a horrible experience.   

Brads70

I have no experience with it, but I don't think I would as welding later could be a challenge.
Just my  :alan2cents: