Main Menu

Raptorliner for the underside

Started by nsmall, July 21, 2017, 09:34:33 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Cudalbs

I'm not sure if others did this, but I went with lizard skin on the interior and covered that with noiko sound and heat protection, then used a satin black bed liner underneath on the exterior. It's worked out great for me. It's not so thick you can't tell what's going on underneath it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"Love those round taillight cars"

70cudaFun

nsmall

@Cudalbs

I really like the underside of your car.  Does the satin have any sort of gloss in it so it's easy to clean up?  I don't mind undercoating but if it's just going to get dirty I'm  thinking i might as well paint it body color. 

I have about 2 weeks and I got to make a decision.

ViperMan

Quote from: nsmall on July 21, 2017, 05:25:07 PM
@Cudalbs

I really like the underside of your car.  Does the satin have any sort of gloss in it so it's easy to clean up?  I don't mind undercoating but if it's just going to get dirty I'm  thinking i might as well paint it body color. 

I have about 2 weeks and I got to make a decision.

I agree, @Cudalbs - that looks awesome!  @nsmall as that stuff is made for visible parts of pickup trucks, it's usually meant to just be hosed down for cleaning, unless it gets deep scratches.  That's why truck owners love that stuff so much.

Cudalbs

I'm not trying to talk anybody into anything, just showing what I did. The Bedliner has a satin sheen to it and so far everything just wiped right off it.....oil, dirt, mud......

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

soundcontrol

Quote from: 70cudaFun on July 21, 2017, 11:50:24 AM

Thank you.  And here I thought I was going to get a numbers matching Hemi Cuda as a prize  :burnout:  Now that would be awesome. . .

@Cuda Cody, a tip for the prize shop maybe? 10 000 000 credits..... :D :D

RUNCHARGER

I know neither is original as they should be primed with colour kind of blown in. However my green Challenger had that liner stuff sprayed in the interior floor and my orange car had fairly shiny paint applied. I stuck sound deadener over both. I can tell you I hated the liner. First of all it was dark and dingy in there and I always felt like it was dirty and dusty as well. The orange car was bright so it was easy to see things when you worked on the headliner, wiring and such. Also you felt like you had all the dust vacuumed up as well. It all gets covered up anyway I guess. Maybe it's psychological but it's the same feeling I get with a car that has spray bomb undercoating all over the underneath, it just looks like it is covering "stuff" up.
On the underneath the Challenger was properly primered with colour blown in as factory, the green car had shiny paint applied. The green paint made it easy to work on as you could see everything and you knew the metal was good however I think for a driver that the bedliner would be a great choice for cleaning up, not getting chipped up etc. The primed belly was correct but for a driver it would be hard to keep looking nice and it would be easily chipped up.
Sheldon

CudaMoparRay

IMO both major ways (paint or coatings) done right look and protect great. Particularly like @Cudalbs  treatment.

farmboy70

I have been using rust free rubberized under coat with DX1999 TEXTURE additive and flattening agent.
Let me know what you think.
Dave

farmboy70

more

cudaragtop

I went back and forth but decided on Raptor Liner. Going to start out as a Show and Cruise Night, G-Machine, Resto-Mod, Pro Tour, Make it the way we want A-Max, G3 Hemicuda.... But I can see my son deciding to make it his part time daily driver at some point down the road. Power tour, camping, road trips... Paint looks awesome underneath but maintaining a clean painted underside would preclude driving in the rain and we live in the Pacific NorthWET.
Very durable and cleanable. Dirt will not become imbedded like factory undercoat.
Very happy with how it came out.

Stripped, US Car Tool Subframe and Torque boxes added, Epoxy primed, Raptor liner. Some paint was applied to front frame rails and shock tower mounting area and then a piece of cardboard held by hand in front to mask where I did not want liner, to simulate the factory undercoat application.
Here is Dylan removing the 1969 applied factory undercoating and 47 years worth of imbedded dirt, grime and gunk...
Going to be his car when we are done. I must be Crazy!

- Randy D. 1970 'Cuda 340 4-Speed Convertible
69 Barracuda G3 Hemi/8HP70 Resto-Mod Project Album: https://goo.gl/photos/XjsAsx4LDo7psimU8

Cudalbs

@cudaragtop that is a beautiful job

RUNCHARGER

Farmboy: To me anyway, that looks "right".
Sheldon

ViperMan

Quote from: Cudalbs on July 23, 2017, 10:24:43 AM
@cudaragtop that is a beautiful job

Agreed.  I never thought I'd find the UNDERSIDE of a vehicle to be gorgeous...

nsmall

@farmboy70 @Cudalbs @cudaragtop

They all look really good so thanks for the photos and giving me something to think about.  I don't want to be scared to drive my car so maybe I should just take a ton of photos like Cody suggested and put some undercoating on there because I don't want to have a car that I'm paranoid to drive.

I live in a very very dry climate but one day I may move back to the Pacific Northwest where I was born and raised.

Thanks again folks.

Neil