Main Menu

Sail Panel Filler, whats best 70 Challenger

Started by Marksmopar1, December 13, 2018, 08:40:47 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Marksmopar1

Hi,
   The sail panel seams (roof to 1/4 panel) was originally filled with lead. I discovered that a previous owner removed the lead and fiberglassed the seam then reinstalled the vinyl roof. This of course started to lift. I removed the vinyl and now I need to re fill the seam as all the fiberglass came off with the roof material. (Not impressed)

What is best to fill the seam,,,yes lead was originally used but is there anything else these days?
I have heard that All Metal filler with it's high metal content is good? Opinions?
  Thanks!

RUNCHARGER

The best method seems to be welding sheetmetal in to bridge the gap and then a very thin leveling with filler afterwards. Any filler there can be visible when the sun gets at it on a hot day.
Sheldon

Cuda Cody

I would use Lead again.   :alan2cents:

dodgemania

70 Challenger Lover

I have to replace a roof and I was planning to use lead. The factory used it not only in this area but in other places as well and it does seem to hold up great for decades. In fact, the roof I am going to replace is in pretty bad shape in every place except this joint where the factory lead filler is. The original lead seam is still beautiful after nearly half a century.

I've watched some videos on leading technique and it does seem a bit time consuming but I think the result will be worth it. Besides, a guy I met gave me his whole leading kit after doing his so I have all the paddles and enough lead to do five cars. Lol

JS29

@Marksmopar1 You mention health risks! Take it from experience, you DON'T want to be breathing Allmetal. It WILL do a number on your lungs!!!!!!   :alan2cents:

RUNCHARGER

I've used All metal lots. I don't think it's that great but you've made your mind up.
Sheldon

anlauto

Trick is to get the surface clean clean clean no matter what you use.... :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

JS29

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on December 15, 2018, 09:26:25 AM
I've used All metal lots. I don't think it's that great but you've made your mind up.
:iagree: I wasn't impressed! Not to mention the  :bigmoney:

jimynick

The factory used solder for a reason and, as mentioned, there are many original cars with those seams that're in good shape; mine included. I melted out the old solder and replaced it when I put on the new 1/4 panels and see no reason why it won't last another 40 years and by then (and likely much before) I won't care. You seem fixated on some new wonder technology being vastly superior to the antediluvian solder, but sometimes, it's not necessary to reinvent the wheel either. Your car, your call, but please don't think solder can't do the job correctly.   :cheers:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

Topcat

Next time I'm at a show on a Hot day, I swear to God I'm gonna take pictures of all the cars with a band aid effect from using other stuff than Lead.

Cuda Cody

:iagree:  Yup, that's when you'll see it most.  Might not fail, but it will be easy to see in the sun and heat.  :alan2cents:

anlauto

Not to be a dink....but I have an original paint AAR in my shop that you don't need the sun or heat to see the original lead seam....from the factory it's a mess. :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

RUNCHARGER

Exactly. That's why I posted my suggestion. It's pretty hard to have 3/8" anything expand and contract at the identical rate to 18 (or whatever) gauge sheetmetal.
Sheldon

70 Challenger Lover

Quote from: Marksmopar1 on December 16, 2018, 11:49:34 AM
Well, I must say...some hostile replied to a simple question...

Yes, I understand the lead,,,longevity of it 40+ years ETC..ETC.. Simply, I was asking what where people using other than lead if anything being the lead use is 40+ years old and we now have so many new products on the market. Hey...could there be something out there that is superior to lead these days? I mentioned All Metal because it was mentioned to me,,,thats it quite simple.
  I thought this was a forum of common interest and asking a question on a process or product would return answers of reason and aid.
  Some of the replies surprise me honestly. Quite simple to give an opinion without smart ass inserts or nasty shots I would think... I am disappoint in the replies. I'll use Lead, All Metal or whatever. I'll figure it out and run with it....
   Thanks anyway.

None of us meant to upset you. Simply offer opinions based on experience. For what it is worth, I have used a product by Evercoat called "metal to metal" which I actually like. It's heavy and goes on nice. Sands well. I used it on a sail panel of a friends car and it worked great but he sold it soon after so I can't speak to how it worked in the long run. I still have some of the stuff left and I like to use it around small metal repairs like the corners of front and rear windows. Probably not needed since all the new metal is welded up but I like it to give a nice finished look (which is probably silly since it all gets covered up by trim anyway).