Main Menu

Swapping quater glass frames

Started by ksierens, August 13, 2017, 12:21:05 PM

Previous topic Next topic

ksierens

Has anyone ever removed the frames from the quarter windows?  I need to swap the frame for my 70 Challenger (chrome on the inside) with one from a newer model.
1970 Challenger R/T 440 Six Pack 4 Speed Dana 3.54

Cuda Cody

Yes, it's a bit tricky if you have not seen it done.  It's a press in fit with the gasket being what holds it in place.  There are a few running design changes so look at the screws at the bottom that holds the trim on too if you want to take the trim off.  Once you put the new glass in you cut the rubber gasket to fit.  I use a rubber hammer to put them together.  It's a bit scary but I have never broke one yet. 

750-h2

Cody, can you tell us who sells those 1/4 window gaskets? I have never seen any for sale.  Thanks

GoodysGotaCuda

Quote from: 750-h2 on August 13, 2017, 01:26:51 PM
Cody, can you tell us who sells those 1/4 window gaskets? I have never seen any for sale.  Thanks

Restorick sells it, I had a lot of "fun" doing it with aftermarket 1/4 replacement glass that wasn't the exact curve that the factory trim was. Get plenty of rubber in case you have to do it twice [3-4'].

If I had to do it again today, I'd likely just minimal rubber to get the proper spacing and just use a glass polyurethane to set it. I didn't care for the factory rubber that you need to stretch thin to set and it then tears quite easily.

To remove the old glass, I put the frame in a vice and put a light torch on the frame near the glass edge to loosen up the rubber. It then popped out with medium effort.
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

Cuda Cody

:iagree:  @RestoRick  has it normally in stock and you can order right from his site:

http://www.restorick.com/products.asp?cat=22

Once you do one they get pretty easy.

750-h2

Thanks. Do you think lubing the rubber with hot soapy water would help?

GoodysGotaCuda

Quote from: 750-h2 on August 13, 2017, 01:49:59 PM
Thanks. Do you think lubing the rubber with hot soapy water would help?

Install? Not quite, the instructions call to apply engine oil to the rubber actually. Which lubricates the glass well, but it also starts to liquify the rubber to make it adhere. I didn't enjoy the process much and would recommend a polyeurothane if you don't need it 100% factory. We've managed to come up with better materials since the 70s.  :deadhorse: :alan2cents:
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

750-h2

Topcat

Since were talking quarter frames:

I already know that the 70' one's are different than 71'-74' on Cuda's.

Are they also different on 70' Challengers than 71'-74' Challengers?

If somebody had a 71' -74' Cuda frame; would it work on a Challenger if the glass was just replaced?

RestoRick

Oiling the setting tape makes it expand after an overnight wait, for a tight fit.

Urethane window sealer would work too, but might be more difficult to remove later if you
ever need to replace the glass again.. probably not in our lifetime, but something to consider.

Cuda Cody

Great instructional document @RestoRick   :clapping:  Thanks for helping out with the step by step word doc. 

One another note, I will be contacting you in the next week or two.  I need more of your Cosmoline.  I love the the stuff you sell. 

Cuda Cody

That's a good question.  I've never lined them up to check.   :clueless:  I might do that next time I've got a few quarter window out.

Quote from: Topcat on August 13, 2017, 03:51:25 PM

If somebody had a 71' -74' Cuda frame; would it work on a Challenger if the glass was just replaced?

Topcat

I wouldn't doubt that the 70' Cuda and Challenger were different from each other.

The first year they had a lot of odd things done parts wise.

Just a ton of parts that were re associated to each brand the following years.

ksierens

Thanks for all the info, I will order the tape from Rick.
1970 Challenger R/T 440 Six Pack 4 Speed Dana 3.54