Main Menu

Swapping a TKO for a TKX

Started by ledphoot, November 18, 2022, 04:31:45 PM

Previous topic Next topic

ledphoot

Got an email from Silver Sport Transmission regarding their Black Friday sale.. Decided to pull the trigger on a TKX to replace my TKO, I know it sounds a little crazy since the TKO is installed / working in my 'Cuda. BUT... I bought the TKO 500 quite a while back and things changed in my build before I installed the transmission last year. My car originally had 3.23 rear gears, it's got Dr Diff 3.73 helical gears now so the 3.27 first gear its a bit low / short. And I heard the 2-3 shift is improved in the TKX and I didn't really dig it in the TKO so screw it...

I guess I will be able to provide a perspective of driving back to back from the TKO to the TKX and the 3.27 to the to the 2.87 first gear. The transmission shipped today, if it gets here quick I might swap it out during the Thanksgiving holiday :)

Filthy Filbert

Look forward to hearing your opinion on the 2.   I had a TKO behind a big block, in a Dakota; despite dialing in the bell housing, I was never a fan of how the TKO shifted.    —under light throttle, it shifted like butter.  But under hard throttle and high rpm it simply would not shift.  I'm hopeful that the TKX shifts way better since it has the same synchros as the T-56, which shifts great in my current Dakota.

ledphoot

My TKO shifts "OKAY" even under load, the only thing about the shifting I don't like is the 2-3 shift, if I put to much pressure on the shifter as it moves into third it can make a funky sound. If I just kind of pop it with my hand and let it fall in to third it's just fine. Feel is "OKAY" as well. Nothing great, nothing bad.. Just kinda meh...

I only wish the TKX had come out a year earlier, I wouldn't have had to modify the floor in my Cuda. :( I guess I am going to have a LOT of clearance now. LoL.

anlauto

I've driven both (in similar cars) and the TKX offers quite a bit of improvement over the TKO, but you have to realize that neither shift as easy and smooth as a 50-year-old A833 does...With the old four speeds, RPM doesn't really seem to matter...2-3 is just a point in the general direction, and it will always go.... :burnout:

,,,but once you're used to the new style of "gated" shifting, the 5 gear is really nice  :twothumbsup:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

ledphoot

I was expecting the TKO to be a little closer to the A833, but it simply isn't anywhere near the same beast. I will probably feel somewhat similar with the TKX but hoping it is at least noticeably better :) The bigger issue is getting the gearing matched up better with the engine / differential, which I believe I will accomplish with the close-ratio setup.

Thanks for the feedback, I am looking forward to the swap;

moparx5

i have a tko 600 in my 67 cuda and on a high rev 2 -3 was always a shit show !! just ordered a white lightning shifter for it witch is supposed to make that problem go away. a couple friends have instaled that shifter in other brand cars same trans and say it works great, just not sure they drive their cars like i drive mine lol , and yes you cant beat the 833 for some good gear slamming