Main Menu

Undercarriage question

Started by truckinman466, January 26, 2020, 04:24:39 PM

Previous topic Next topic

truckinman466

If I am going to undercoat the car, do I need to put finish coat on or can I seal and prime it and undercoat?

jimynick

if by "undercoating" you mean rustproofing, I'd paint the car and then rustproof it. Doing it the other way around you stand a chance of having the rustproofing/undercoating contaminate the substrate which may pose a problem when later painting the car. but then, that's just my  :alan2cents:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

JS29

Burdar

I think he's asking if he can undercoat over primer instead of fully painting the underside first.  The factory never fully painted the bottom with exterior color.  They undercoated right over primer.  So...paint the exterior body and then undercoat but you don't have to fully paint the bottom with color first.

RUNCHARGER

The original primers would soak up moisture, not sure about new primers. I believe you are better off to paint it to seal out the moisture and then undercoat over the paint.
Sheldon

jimynick

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on January 27, 2020, 07:57:05 AM
The original primers would soak up moisture, not sure about new primers. I believe you are better off to paint it to seal out the moisture and then undercoat over the paint.
:iagree: Yep, what the man said. Unless you're one of the "the factory never painted the bottom" guys and are afraid that'd cover some of your chalk marks!  :D

JS29

Urethane primer's are not pores. But I think even a shot of single stage before undercoating would be the way i would go.   :alan2cents:

jimynick

Quote from: JS29 on January 27, 2020, 01:38:03 PM
Urethane primer's are not pores. But I think even a shot of single stage before undercoating would be the way i would go.   :alan2cents:
:iagree:  Yep, that's the way I went, too.  :bigthumb:

truckinman466

Ok, thanks guys. I think I'll go ahead and put some finish coat on before I undercoat.