Main Menu

MOPAR NATIONALS...Looking ahead, now that Carlisle is over.

Started by 76orangewagon, July 18, 2017, 04:47:29 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Bartman

Bartman

69BFan

As a vendor at the event, I was fearing the worst on Friday morning when it was very slow before the 9:00 AM mark.  By 10:30 to approximately 2:00 on that day, it was all that the five of us could do to keep up with the customers.  Again on Saturday, it was the same story, but the crowd started about an hour earlier on Saturday.  In talking to other vendors of both used and reproduction parts, they were all talking about very strong sales.  I was also amazed at how many of the vendors were still around on Sunday. 
The staff cut out two complete rows, approximately 160 spaces, but had to open up an additional area for people registering to sale on the day of the event.  Most of the grumbling was from vendors who had been moved to a different area, including myself.  I have to give them credit in trying to work with me to resolve the placement of our tent. 
For the porta-john situation, I will have to say that the contract crew came by each morning and afternoon and cleaned our rental.  I cannot say how the more public facilities were maintained.  As normal, the golf cart and ATV scene needs to be reigned in.  Seems that nobody wants to walk anymore.  You have to really pay attention as the drivers of these vehicles are not always paying attention.
From my perspective, it seemed that the crowd was a strong local group.  Did have customers from Australia, Europe and Brazil, but the Friday crowd seemed to be very much locals.
I spoke to one gentleman on Sunday morning and he told me that he had been attending since 1992 and he said he saw more cars this year than during the late 90s into the early 2000s.  It is hard for me to say, since I am basically at our site from Wednesday to Saturday, only to leave to go to the motel.  But the crowd seemed to be very good from Thursday through Sunday. 
I have no ideal that it will ever go back to the old days, but great weather and a strong economy does not hurt anything.  I know that each show has its own following, but thankfully, I have to say that the show was a very good showing.  I only wish they could get more quality cars for the judged show field.  Also, I feel that in talking to some customers, the shrinking midway will hurt the show.  I feel that the vendors in the midway will be looking to move to the general swap area or will decide to stay at home in the future.
And thanks to all of you who might have stopped by and purchased an item from us.  Without a strong customer base, vendors and shows will continue to decline and we hope to be able to slow that decline.
www.restorationpartsandmaterials.com  Mopar weatherstripping is our specialty, but we offer a wide assortment of restoration products.

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration