Main Menu

Mopar Nationals

Started by ScottSmith_Harms, August 12, 2018, 08:28:08 AM

Previous topic Next topic

ScottSmith_Harms

Well first time I've attended the Nat's in years and as always, it was an adventure. I took a bunch of pics, here are a few of the more notable Ebodies. These cudas are both real Hemi cars, the red oneis an original paint survivor from right here in Heath Ohio. Very cool fully documented 4 speed car!

anlauto

So how is the show itself ? Still crazy with golf carts ? and mayhem ? Backed up shitters and garbage everywhere ?

Is it still as big as it was in the 90's ?
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

scf100

is the red hemi car the one thats been on ebay lately?
1970 Challenger R/T convertible Triple Black

ScottSmith_Harms

Nats has gotten smaller, swap meet less fruitful, toilets unchanged, O.E judging ruduced to something "Less". Generally speaking, it ain't no Carlisle. :). I heard arumors that it will not be held in Columbus next year but will be in Pontiac Mi next year (no racetrack) . We'll see....

ScottSmith_Harms

No, same owner for a LONG time, not for sale.

E74cuda

Hey Scott, what about the bubble on the red car? Were all early cars that were red have the red bubble or just A22 cars?

76orangewagon

Quote from: anlauto on August 12, 2018, 08:35:16 AM
So how is the show itself ? Still crazy with golf carts ? and mayhem ? Backed up shitters and garbage everywhere ?

I went on Friday only and must say I was highly disappointed. The show car side is gone, I heard there are new owners and they sold the land West of the track so they crammed the Judged show car area in a small fenced area in the middle of the chaos. The swap meet was definitely smaller and now there's people set up selling crap like Bath Fitters and Cheap Jewelry mixed in, the Vendors area was also smaller. As far as the portable toilets I hang out under the HDK tent mostly and he has a couple toilets set up behind the tent so there hidden from the public. I don't understand why everyone with a newer Challenger or Charger feels they have to enter a car show were not talking Hellcats here just basic high production cars...there was a guy with a V-6 Challenger on display complete with race deck flooring and go pro's..it even had those cheap simulated disc brake covers on it.

Burdar

The parking to the west of the track and just south of the track is now corn fields. That just left the parking area to the east. The judged side has been shrinking for a long time. It wasn't even worth walking over to that side any more. It was only natural that they made that area parking.
The swap meet has always had people selling non car related products. People have been selling rings there for years. The bracelets being sold this year were made by a little girl. I hope she sold a lot of them.

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk

Burdar

The first Mopar Nats was in 1980. These cars were around ten years old then. They weren't collectable, they weren't classics, they were just 10 year old cars that people had a passion for.

The new Challengers came out in 2008. They are around ten years old now. Most aren't collectable, they aren't classics, they are just 10 year old cars that people have a passion for.

Sound familiar?

anlauto

Quote from: 76orangewagon on August 12, 2018, 05:27:48 PM
Quote from: anlauto on August 12, 2018, 08:35:16 AM

I went on Friday only and must say I was highly disappointed. The show car side is gone, I heard there are new owners and they sold the land West of the track so they crammed the Judged show car area in a small fenced area in the middle of the chaos. The swap meet was definitely smaller and now there's people set up selling crap like Bath Fitters and Cheap Jewelry mixed in, the Vendors area was also smaller. As far as the portable toilets I hang out under the HDK tent mostly and he has a couple toilets set up behind the tent so there hidden from the public. I don't understand why everyone with a newer Challenger or Charger feels they have to enter a car show were not talking Hellcats here just basic high production cars...there was a guy with a V-6 Challenger on display complete with race deck flooring and go pro's.. it even had those cheap simulated disc brake covers on it.

Hey.....I put those on my wife's V6 Challenger... :haha: .... so now it's a show car ? 8) :rofl:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

Flatdad

It might be fair to mention that it was raining most of Friday and Saturday. Its tough to judge this year against others with the bad weather involved.

76orangewagon

Quote from: Burdar on August 12, 2018, 05:42:28 PM
The first Mopar Nats was in 1980. These cars were around ten years old then. They weren't collectable, they weren't classics, they were just 10 year old cars that people had a passion for.

The new Challengers came out in 2008. They are around ten years old now. Most aren't collectable, they aren't classics, they are just 10 year old cars that people have a passion for.

Sound familiar?

Don't get me wrong I have passion for these cars also and own a 2015 Charger but unless I'm being totally lazy would never pay to park it into a major car event, the difference is back in 1980 you could no longer go to a dealer and see Cuda's, Road Runners, Superbees, ect.... In my opinion most of the cars I see on dealer lots look better because they don't have all the dumb bolt on stuff added like cat/snakes eyes over the headlights and bam instant show car.

Burdar

I know what car you are referring to.  He has been there the last few years.  It has been talked about before on a couple sites.  Carlisle is becoming a new car playground as well though.  It's not just the Nats.  I think it's ALL shows.

Rumple

I did appear smaller this year. Usually there's a couple bumper vendors there with trailers, but I didn't see any. Passon was there on Friday.

anlauto

Quote from: Burdar on August 13, 2018, 06:59:16 AM
I know what car you are referring to.  He has been there the last few years.  It has been talked about before on a couple sites.  Carlisle is becoming a new car playground as well though.  It's not just the Nats.  I think it's ALL shows.

Agreed !
However the main difference with the other shows....

Moparfest in Canada limits the number of newer car entries so they don't "take over"

Carlisle parks all the new stuff in one area...if you have no interest in looking at the new stuff, or trucks, or Jeeps.....You  just don't go over to that area of the show..easy peasy ....

My memories of the 15 years I've attended the Nats....was on the open show field area...it was just a mess and you walked for days just the find decent cars to look at  :crying: