Main Menu

Are you planning to go to Carlisle 2019??

Started by Spikedog08, July 18, 2018, 08:52:22 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Going to Carlisle 2019??

Yes Definitely!
32 (57.1%)
Probably
10 (17.9%)
Not sure YET
9 (16.1%)
Wish I could
3 (5.4%)
Definitely cannot go
2 (3.6%)

Total Members Voted: 56

JH27N0B

I've been wanting to get there for years.  The 12 hour drive from the northwest suburbs of Chicago and difficulty finding traveling companions for the trek has always kept my plans from happening.
I have a real dilemma, not for 2019, but for 2020.  I've vowed to get my T/A out there for the 50th anniversary reunion.  I now have less than 2 years to either buy an enclosed trailer and a truck to pull it to transport my car, or get myself into a tax bracket such that I can pay Reliable to get it there and home without breaking the bank!  :notsure:

Spikedog08

So looks like we have 38 possible members coming!  That’s great . . This is gonna be a great show as it always is!   :cheers:

Hope everyone brings their ebody!
Drive it like you stole it . . . And they're CHASING you!

Crusty

I'm going for sure! I had a great time this year!

734406PK

My wife Susan and I are going, Good times and good people!!  :grouphug:

Morty426

Quote from: JH27N0B on July 22, 2018, 03:14:57 PM
I've been wanting to get there for years.  The 12 hour drive from the northwest suburbs of Chicago and difficulty finding traveling companions for the trek has always kept my plans from happening.
I have a real dilemma, not for 2019, but for 2020.  I've vowed to get my T/A out there for the 50th anniversary reunion.  I now have less than 2 years to either buy an enclosed trailer and a truck to pull it to transport my car, or get myself into a tax bracket such that I can pay Reliable to get it there and home without breaking the bank!  :notsure:

OK - if I buy a Toterhome and a two car stacker I could swing buy and pick up your car and you.   :driving:

OK - that's the dream / long term moonshot.  Not sure if I can make it 2020 but I can try  :crazytalk:

JH27N0B

My friend Mopar Mitch here on the board who had his T/A rally race car there in 2005 has vowed to be there again in 2020 also, and he lives just a few miles away from me on the other side of town, so we've got 2 cars to go in that toter home if you get it!  ;)
We went to Road America yesterday to see the national vintage race, and I was admiring the Excursions many were using to tow their trailers there.  I've been threatening to buy a 2WD V10 Excursion to tow my trailer I need to buy, would I be a Mopar traitor if I buy an old Excursion as a budget trailer puller?  :dunno:

303 Mopar

I have a real dilemma, not for 2019, but for 2020. 
Quote from: JH27N0B on July 22, 2018, 07:43:20 PM
My friend Mopar Mitch here on the board who had his T/A rally race car there in 2005 has vowed to be there again in 2020 also, and he lives just a few miles away from me on the other side of town, so we've got 2 cars to go in that toter home if you get it!  ;)

:iagree:  2020 is going to be huge! 

Morty426

We went to Road America yesterday to see the national vintage race, and I was admiring the Excursions many were using to tow their trailers there.  I've been threatening to buy a 2WD V10 Excursion to tow my trailer I need to buy, would I be a Mopar traitor if I buy an old Excursion as a budget trailer puller?  :dunno:

Those things are massive and the fuel economy is poor.  Plus I don't think they hold up very well.  Do you have a need for all that room?

There are plenty of 100K mile CTDs out here with zero rust. 

Chryco Psycho

CTDs are awesome pull easy with great mileage even if the body is falling apart the drivetrain will be fine

JH27N0B

I have a friend who is a long time diesel mechanic and he's strongly advised me to not buy a diesel unless I drive it almost daily (and buy fuel from high volume truck stops).
I'm looking for something reliable under $10Gs to tow, run errands and occasionally pick up large stuff.
The telescoping mirrors on Fords compared to dodges trailer mirrors are a big deal to me due to my driveway situation. And the Mopar automatic transmissions are crap.
I don't know that I'd be happy towing with a 5.7, and a couple people I've talked to over the years when I drive the MCACN shuttle back and forth from the trailer parking yard to the hall talked highly of their V10 Ford pickups for long haul towing their enclosed trailers, that is why I am interested in the V10.
I wish a vintage C body wagon was up to the job, I'd love to show up to Carlisle towing my T/A in a 24' enclosed behind a 69 Monaco wagon but I know that won't fly!

Spikedog08

Quote from: 303 Mopar on July 22, 2018, 08:53:50 PM
I have a real dilemma, not for 2019, but for 2020. 

:iagree:  2020 is going to be huge!

Let's make 2019 huge first!    :clapping:
Drive it like you stole it . . . And they're CHASING you!

Morty426

Quote from: JH27N0B on July 23, 2018, 03:11:21 PM
I have a friend who is a long time diesel mechanic and he's strongly advised me to not buy a diesel unless I drive it almost daily (and buy fuel from high volume truck stops).
I'm looking for something reliable under $10Gs to tow, run errands and occasionally pick up large stuff.
The telescoping mirrors on Fords compared to dodges trailer mirrors are a big deal to me due to my driveway situation. And the Mopar automatic transmissions are crap.
I don't know that I'd be happy towing with a 5.7, and a couple people I've talked to over the years when I drive the MCACN shuttle back and forth from the trailer parking yard to the hall talked highly of their V10 Ford pickups for long haul towing their enclosed trailers, that is why I am interested in the V10.
I wish a vintage C body wagon was up to the job, I'd love to show up to Carlisle towing my T/A in a 24' enclosed behind a 69 Monaco wagon but I know that won't fly!

OK I see where you are going.  That Excursion might be the way to go then. 

There is a 70 Monaco Sedan - loaded but with a frozen  BB for sale in Sac right now.  Might have to go look at that.   :)

RUNCHARGER

My buddy has a V10. Not without it's problems either, one of which is spitting out spark plugs.
Sheldon

Chryco Psycho

Your buddy is way off with the Cummins , Powerjokes are problematic , Cummins are not , I have seen them run 800,000 miles  :alan2cents:

JH27N0B

So no worries about algae growing in the diesel fuel if the fuel is in the tank for a month and the lift pumps hardly ever go bad and even if they do cost much less than $2500-$3000 to repair? Those are some of the myths my 35+ year head mechanic for a large fleet of trucks keeps feeding me.