Main Menu

No Rebel flags flying?

Started by torredcuda, June 18, 2020, 04:56:31 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Cudajason

Quote from: Skid Row on June 22, 2020, 12:37:24 PM
:verymad: Last post on this I Promise, If that flag offends you in any way I suggest take some advice.
Soak some rags in kerosene, and tie them around your ankles so the ants won't eat your candy a$$ up.

To some people that flag symbolizes racism, hatred and white supremacy, just like the Swastika.  I used to believe that flag was the mark of a rebel, and it very may well have been at that time, but that is not all it stands for now. That does not mean everything associated with that flag, lie the General Lee or the Dukes of Hazard is racist.

Being offended by that does not make you a candy ass, but refusing to believe that someone, or a group of people are offended by that flag and what it stands for now and dismissing people that have the balls to stand up and say that, well that seems like the wrong stance to take here.

1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

CudaMoparRay

Quote from: Cudajason on June 22, 2020, 02:09:35 PM
Quote from: Skid Row on June 22, 2020, 12:37:24 PM
:verymad: Last post on this I Promise, If that flag offends you in any way I suggest take some advice.
Soak some rags in kerosene, and tie them around your ankles so the ants won't eat your candy a$$ up.

To some people that flag symbolizes racism, hatred and white supremacy, just like the Swastika.  I used to believe that flag was the mark of a rebel, and it very may well have been at that time, but that is not all it stands for now. That does not mean everything associated with that flag, lie the General Lee or the Dukes of Hazard is racist.

Being offended by that does not make you a candy ass, but refusing to believe that someone, or a group of people are offended by that flag and what it stands for now and dismissing people that have the balls to stand up and say that, well that seems like the wrong stance to take here.

:iagree: I wholeheartedly agree, personal attacks should not be allowed on this beloved car forum

worthywads

Quote from: Cudajason on June 22, 2020, 12:58:57 PM
Quote from: worthywads on June 22, 2020, 06:57:33 AM
https://news.yahoo.com/noose-found-black-driver-bubba-071423518.html

Lynching isn't a federal crime, prevented by states rights advocates.

I am not sure how to take that comment????

Well first throwing a noose into Bubba's garage is a blatant suggestion that he should be lynched.

But congress has failed to pass in the 120+ years ago it has been proposed that lynching be a Federal crime.

And still today there is a sitting lynching bill that has been passed by the House, but which will likely die again in the Senate.  Because it's a states right thing.  Even if it passes now it is just symbolic but a current reflection of southern culture resisting change.

https://www.congress.gov/bill/116th-congress/house-bill/35/text

Cudajason

Quote from: worthywads on June 22, 2020, 02:56:56 PM

Well first throwing a noose into Bubba's garage is a blatant suggestion that he should be lynched.

But congress has failed to pass in the 120+ years ago it has been proposed that lynching be a Federal crime.

And still today there is a sitting lynching bill that has been passed by the House, but which will likely die again in the Senate.  Because it's a states right thing.  Even if it passes now it is just symbolic but a current reflection of southern culture resisting change.

Regardless of whether it is a federal crime to lynch someone, would they not be charged with murder?  Either way, it does not make what happened to Bubba right!
1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

worthywads

Quote from: Cudajason on June 22, 2020, 05:24:53 PM
Quote from: worthywads on June 22, 2020, 02:56:56 PM

Regardless of whether it is a federal crime to lynch someone, would they not be charged with murder?  Either way, it does not make what happened to Bubba right!

You'd think so but historically lynching was rarely prosecuted by states, and difficult for Federal government to pursue.

70 Challenger Lover

I can't help but think that the people of this country don't understand what the Founding Fathers were trying to create all those years ago. In a truly free society, people should be able to express their viewpoints in any way they like, beautiful or ugly, and those around should be free to listen to it or reject it. When you try to control the viewpoints of others through public opinion, everyone loses. A Neo Nazi should be free to say whatever stupid things they want and the rest of us should have the good sense to walk away and ignore it. The same thing goes for religion, rebel flags and so on. If those thing stir bad emotions, you should take a hard look at yourself. No stranger should ever be able to force you to feel anything you don't want to feel.

No one who owns a Dukes of Hazard Charger does so because they are racists and they should not be made to suffer because they happen to like an old television show featuring cool Mopars. The worst crime a person can commit today is to judge other groups as a whole based on stereotypes but that is exactly what is going on here. Only in this case, it's okay because it's currently in fashion. Some in our society believe it's okay to demonize a symbol or to portray all southerners, white males, cops and fans of Dukes of Hazard as racist. It's no different than judging some other groups by their cultural stereotypes. You can pat yourself on the back all you want for being "enlightened" but when you place generic labels on groups, you are really revealing your own willingness to show bias towards others.

I would never own a rebel flag and certainly not a Nazi flag but I will argue all day long that a truly free society allows people to own and display them if they want.

1 Wild R/T

As statues are being torn down.... 

There was a time when people believed "Those who don't know history are doomed to repeat it"...

Now apparently we destroy history because we are offended by it.....

But Wait!! Now we have Utopia!! CHAZ!! I Mean CHOP!!  Oh the wonderful people of CHOP are killing one another?? How can that happen?? They've cancelled everything evil...

30-40 years ago I worked for a boss who always said " it's a communist plot ".

worthywads

Quote from: 70 Challenger Lover on June 22, 2020, 05:44:57 PM
I can't help but think that the people of this country don't understand what the Founding Fathers were trying to create all those years ago. In a truly free society, people should be able to express their viewpoints in any way they like, beautiful or ugly, and those around should be free to listen to it or reject it. When you try to control the viewpoints of others through public opinion, everyone loses. A Neo Nazi should be free to say whatever stupid things they want and the rest of us should have the good sense to walk away and ignore it. The same thing goes for religion, rebel flags and so on. If those thing stir bad emotions, you should take a hard look at yourself. No stranger should ever be able to force you to feel anything you don't want to feel.

No one who owns a Dukes of Hazard Charger does so because they are racists and they should not be made to suffer because they happen to like an old television show featuring cool Mopars. The worst crime a person can commit today is to judge other groups as a whole based on stereotypes but that is exactly what is going on here. Only in this case, it's okay because it's currently in fashion. Some in our society believe it's okay to demonize a symbol or to portray all southerners, white males, cops and fans of Dukes of Hazard as racist. It's no different than judging some other groups by their cultural stereotypes. You can pat yourself on the back all you want for being "enlightened" but when you place generic labels on groups, you are really revealing your own willingness to show bias towards others.

I would never own a rebel flag and certainly not a Nazi flag but I will argue all day long that a truly free society allows people to own and display them if they want.

I don't think anyone here disagrees with what you said above.  The ACLU continues to agree with you on free speech.

NASCAR isn't the government and they decided it doesn't want to be associated with Racists and the Rebel flag.  Time will tell if that is enough to turn fans away, or bring in new fans turned off by the rebel flag environment I saw last year at Talladega for the Winged Warrior 50th Anniversary.  I

I'm glad to see a stand of solidarity with Bubba Wallace at Talladega.  We already have speculation here that it was some liberals faking to be MAGA fans that planted the noose.

Racer57

U.S Grant and Lincoln statues torn down. Lenin statue untouched in Seattle. Guns taken away from cartoons older than rioters. Occupied part of Seattle called "summer of love by Mayor and Police forced to turn back after responding to 911 calls.

Remember when we were taught "Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me" ?

70 Challenger Lover

Nobody wants to associate themselves with racism. Racism is so fundamentally wrong you don't even have to openly oppose it. Everyone opposes it. They and others separated themselves from the flag as a display of submission to the loudest voices currently controlling the masses. That flag has been in dispute for decades and they only banned it now because not doing so causes big trouble. If they were so sensitive to how that flag really made made people feel, they would have done it a long time ago.

Take the time to evaluate things on a deeper level. Their motivation was self preservation and nothing more. Just like all the other businesses tripping over themselves to put out placating messages. Look at things with a critical eye. When people do things like this out of fear or intimidation, it is the opposite of freedom. Freedom would be them putting out a statement asking fans to leave them at home until tension subsides but not making a big deal out of those who still bring them.

And the ACLU by the way is not at all what they used to be. I am forced to interact with them regularly and they are no longer an organization devoted to freedom. They have become a political machine and trust me when I say few people would want to live in the world they dream of. If the ACLU truly agreed with my views on free expression, they would put out statements saying such. They once did many years ago. The only freedom they work for now is to completely dismantle the entire justice system so we can have thieves, murderers and child molesters walking amongst us. 

Take the time to google these organizations and look at the values they clearly state. They don't hide it. It's ugly and militant and oppressive. There are other good groups out there fighting for things we can all get behind. The groups talking the loudest right now are not very wholesome.

dodj

There's a statue of lenin in Seattle?
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

70 Challenger Lover

Quote from: dodj on June 22, 2020, 07:43:25 PM

Seattle is pretty whacked. I didn't know there was a Lenin statue but it doesn't surprise me.

1 Wild R/T

Lenin statues in the US...

Las Vegas - outside Red Square Restaurant, Mandalay Bay Hotel - Headless (removed in 2019 when restaurant closed)

New York City - formerly on top of the Red Square apartment building, E. Houston St. in the East Village Moved to Norfolk St. in 2016, half-block south

Seattle - Fremont neighborhood

Ace Gallery, Los Angeles, there is a large metallic bust of Lenin on display at the corner of La Brea Avenue and 4th Street.

Hutchinson, Kansas - inside the Soviet wing of the Cosmosphere

Willimantic, Connecticut - hidden in a scrapyard to avoid vandalism.

jimynick

Quote from: dodj on June 22, 2020, 07:43:25 PM
Does that not seem appropriate considering the political atmosphere and actions in Seattle? What is being done for the poor bastards who live and/or work in Antifa-stan? What was their culpability? Why do they have to be occupied by a (let's use it's real name, shall we) communist armed mob? I'm really glad I don't live there, because I'd have shot some of them by now. Let the flaming begin.  :verymad:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"